Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/don_banks/10/19/5things.packers.colts/T1_1019_peytondunn.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Five things we learned from Green Bay's surprisingly complete 34-14 conquest of Indianapolis on Sunday in Lambeau Field ...

1. The Colts' offense may not be ready to roll after all. [ul]After Indy dismantled Baltimore 31-3 last week, the consensus was the Colts' MIA offense had been located and would be at their disposal for the rest of the season.

Uh, maybe not.

Nothing about Indy's offensive performance against Green Bay bespoke a return to the form that we have grown accustomed to from Peyton Manning and Co., lo these many years. Indy had scored 52 points over a 64-minute span at Houston and home against Baltimore, and the thinking was that Manning's knee was finally healthy and receiver Marvin Harrison was a dependable threat once more.

But that assessment proved to be premature in Green Bay, as the Colts played a sloppy, ineffective offensive game that featured two Manning interceptions returned for touchdowns (only the second time that's happened in his 11-year NFL career), a blocked 45-yard Adam Vinatieri field goal attempt and a whopping 12 penalties for 110 yards. I can't remember the last time I saw a Tony Dungy-coached team look so ragged, but then again, the Colts have done a lot of uncharacteristic things this year. Like lose a game in October for the first time since 2004.

Ignoring the fourth quarter, when the Colts racked up some yardage while already down 27-7, Indy had just 11 first downs, 169 net yards and 11 penalties for 105 yards in the first three quarters. Up to that point, the Colts had had just six meaningful possessions, scoring only on their first one. Even when Indy did get on the board, it took a long time to do so, showing virtually none of the quick-strike, big-play ability that we're used to seeing from the Colts. Receivers Harrison and Reggie Wayne combined for just four catches and 35 yards all day, with a long gain of 15.

What's wrong with the Colts? Maybe Manning's twice-operated on knee still isn't 100 percent and he still can't plant and throw with his same level of accuracy. Maybe Indy's offensive line issues (injuries and ineffectiveness) are the root of all its problems. Maybe running back Joseph Addai's absence(hamstring) really hurt against Green Bay, and maybe the separation we saw Harrison and Wayne finally get last week will return again in the near future.

All I really know is that this kind of lackluster showing is getting very familiar. In reality, the Colts probably deserve to be 1-5 this season, rather than 3-3 after those miracle fourth-quarter comebacks at Minnesota and Houston.

"This is kind of the way we have been all year,'' said Dungy, with blunt honesty. "We have been up and down and not consistent. We showed more of that today. Green Bay played smarter and sharper than we did, and consequently won the game by a big score.''

Nothing to argue with there.[/ul]

2. Aaron Rodgers is putting all the Brett Favre comparisons to bed. [ul]What's not to like about the Packers' new starting quarterback? He's really only had one rough game this season, and that's when he hurt his throwing shoulder at Tampa Bay. Against the Colts, Rodgers was superb, leading Green Bay to points on four of the first five drives, with only a missed Mason Crosby 36-yard field goal attempt marring his record.

And what may be most impressive about Rodgers is his ability to play so mistake-free and put together long drives. The Packers' first five drives went 13, 8, 11, 10 and 12 plays, and Green Bay had a season-best 19 first downs in the first half. Three of those first five possessions were for 60-yards-plus, which Green Bay turned into two touchdowns and a field goal. That gives Rodgers 20 drives of 60-plus yards on the season, and Green Bay has scored on all but one (13 touchdowns and six field goals). Through three quarters on Sunday, the Packers held a more than 10 minute lead in time of possession (27:57 to 17:03).

Rodgers is very efficient. He had no turnovers against the Colts, took no sacks and found eight Packers receivers in the course of completing 21 of 28, for 186 yards, with one touchdown and a sterling 104.2 passer rating. This guy knows how to take care of the football, and you certainly couldn't always say that about No. 4. When you factor in that Rodgers has been playing with a sore shoulder since Week 4, and the pressure on him at the start of the season, it's hard to not be impressed.

"This was just a big confidence boost for our team,'' Rodgers said. "We were 3-3 coming into this one and playing a team coming off a big win against Baltimore. We really felt we needed this one going into our bye week. This one was sweet for us.''[/ul]

3. It's going to be awfully tough for the Colts to win their sixth consecutive AFC South title, if they don't pull the upset at Tennessee next Monday night. Just do the math.[ul] The Colts are 3-3. The Titans, the league's only remaining unbeaten team, are 6-0. Give Tennessee another win and it'll be 7-0 and 3-4, a four-game Indy deficit with nine games remaining? Impossible? Certainly not. Unlikely? You bet. Especially since the Colts don't get the Titans in the rematch at Lucas Oil Stadium until Week 17, and who knows how much meaning that one might have by then (see 2007, Week 17, Titans at Colts).

So, in my book that makes Indy's game at Tennessee a must-win, at least in terms of the Colts' division-title hopes. It sounds a bit early for that, but I don't think it's an overstatement. Especially given the Colts' challenging schedule in the next five weeks: at Tennessee, New England, at Pittsburgh, Houston and at San Diego. That's four of the five teams, besides themselves, who made the 2007 playoffs in the AFC, leaving out only Jacksonville.

Boil it all down, and even though it'll only be Week 8, the Colts have no time to lose. Mainly because, unlike the Titans, they've been losing a fair amount of the time.[/ul]

4. The Packers defense may not be as dominant as last year, but it's hanging tough. [ul]Green Bay still can't seem to generate any pass rush this season (its 12 sacks ranks squarely in the middle of the NFL pack), and that didn't change Sunday when the Packers failed to drop Manning even once. But that doesn't mean Green Bay didn't find other ways to get the job done against the Colts.

For starters, the Packers defensive backs played very physically against the Colts receivers, getting their hands on them at the line of scrimmage and disrupting their routes. That's straight out of the "How to Beat the Colts" handbook, of course, but it rarely works as well as it did for Green Bay in this game. Not only did the Packers secondary hold Manning without a touchdown pass, but also it picked him off twice, taking both interceptions back for touchdowns.

First, there was free safety Nick Collins' 62-yard catch and run 2:32 into the second half, making it 24-7 Packers and effectively putting this one out of reach. That Manning pass went off Wayne's hands, and Collins made a nice move inside the Indy 20 to take the interception in for the score. Later, second-year Green Bay safety Aaron Rouse added insult to injury, stepping in front of a Manning pass intended for receiver Anthony Gonzalez and returning it 99 yards for the Packers' final score with 4:27 remaining.

That tied the Green Bay franchise record for longest interception return (Tim Lewis versus the Los Angeles Rams in 1984), and meant that Manning had thrown two interceptions returned for touchdowns in the same game for only the second time in his career (against New England in 2001).

Remarkably, it's the second time this season that Green Bay's defense had returned two interceptions for scores in the same game. Collins and cornerback Charles Woodson accomplished it in Green Bay's wacky 48-25 win at Detroit in Week 2. The two scores Sunday also gave the Packers an NFL-best five interception return touchdowns this season, an astounding total through seven games.

"All I saw was green in front of me,'' Rouse said. "Once I saw that real estate, I'm going to go and get it. Nobody was going to catch me.''

And the performance of Green Bay's secondary is even more impressive when you consider that starting corner Al Harris is out with a spleen condition, starting strong safety Atari Bigby has missed the last five games with a hamstring problem, and Woodson is playing cornerback with a sore toe.[/ul]

5. Nobody's saying it, but it looks like Colts second-year left tackle Tony Ugoh has permanently lost his starting job.[ul] This marked the third consecutive game that Ugoh has been active. Third-year veteran Charlie Johnson started at left tackle -- the slot Ugoh manned so capably as a rookie last year after Tarik Glenn retired. No one in the Colts organization is saying that Indy has given up on Ugoh, but no one's saying much of anything about him at all. Good or bad. That's kind of the Colts' way of doing business under longtime general manager Bill Polian.

Earlier this season Ugoh was injured and replaced by Johnson, but once he got healthy, he lost the job based on his performance. With victories at Houston and home against Baltimore coming off their bye the past two weeks, the Colts may not have wanted to change their wining combination on the offensive line. But now it bears watching once again to see if Ugoh re-enters the starting lineup in the near future.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
NormaL
15 years ago
I read this, and i'm kind of upset that this article among others talk more about how the colts "played bad" as opposed to the Packers playing good.
UserPostedImage
You want to finish your career here?
Favre: "Definitely. If in two years, say, they want to trade me, I'd probably walk away. Retire."
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
I'm looking forward to how Tennessee does against them next week. It'll be first chance to see the Titans this year.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Am I the only one who thinks its neat that the Colts and Packers both play the Titans as their next game?

Next week, Colts Titans. Packers on BYE.
Following week, Packers Titans.

I dunno, I thought it was neat. Kind of gives us a good look at the Titans because we are already familiar with the Colts.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
The Titans Defense will be watching that game tape eagerly.

The coaching staff gets a lot of credit for having the players ready to play.

After the bye:
If the Titans beat the Colts they may be due for a psychological let down.

It is too difficult to overcome the complacency that occurs after and undefeated team beats the second place team in their division.

The Titans are being set up for a let down ant the Packers will be striking them at the right time.
blank
15 years ago
I'm still not set on the titans being the best team in the nfl, well atleast afc. I don't see them keeping this up. Not too mention that the schedule they've played so far hasn't been very tough. Anyone else feel this way?
UserPostedImage
gbpfan
15 years ago
i guess what i dont like in tese articles is how they are saying we played a banged up team well ours isnt all that healthy colts d-line just couldnt get after our hurting q.b what the front was protecting him and i hope the pack is reading the paper and hope when they play the tiatins they play like they did against the colts :icon_smile:
dannychau22
15 years ago

I'm still not set on the titans being the best team in the nfl, well atleast afc. I don't see them keeping this up. Not too mention that the schedule they've played so far hasn't been very tough. Anyone else feel this way?

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

if they keep up that running game of their's they're gonna be hard to beat especially with their defense
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks its neat that the Colts and Packers both play the Titans as their next game?

Next week, Colts Titans. Packers on BYE.
Following week, Packers Titans.

I dunno, I thought it was neat. Kind of gives us a good look at the Titans because we are already familiar with the Colts.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I was thinking about that earlier too. I like it a lot.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

I read this, and i'm kind of upset that this article among others talk more about how the colts "played bad" as opposed to the Packers playing good.

"NormaL" wrote:

Just consider that the article was out of Indy. Of course they are going to look at the game from the point of view of how badly Indy played.

They threw a bone or two GB's way in the process.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (13h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (14h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (17h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.