musccy
8 years ago

I forgot about the genius Packers who don't want a star talent like that in their WR corps.

I'm not complaining at all about our WR corps...I'm ripping that article to shreds for how stupid it's premise and conclusion is.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

None of this is to say that the Packers would, as a rule, turn down an opportunity to draft a more heralded receiver. (They did select offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga one spot above Bryant in the 2010 first round, however.) But there is more than one way to staff a passing offense, and the Packers' approach in the Rodgers era has yielded arguably the most efficient attack in the NFL.

I copied and pasted this from the article for you.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

None of this is to say that the Packers would, as a rule, turn down an opportunity to draft a more heralded receiver. (They did select offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga one spot above Bryant in the 2010 first round, however.) But there is more than one way to staff a passing offense, and the Packers' approach in the Rodgers era has yielded arguably the most efficient attack in the NFL.

I copied and pasted this from the article for you.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The funny thing is...you didn't know it was in there until just now and went on to defend against what I was railing against.

I still wish we'd taken Dez. A brokedown good RIGHT tackle instead of a game changing defense changing WR. He was a major character risk, but man, in hindsight, we picked the wrong guy.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

This is a fair discussion, and the guy taking the pro-elite receiver position shouldn't be labeled a troll.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Then he should neither BE one nor create a fake second identity to defend himself.

It would be really interesting to see how wild Aaron Rodgers could go with a true superstar receiver - as opposed to Good receivers made Great by Rodgers.

I will throw out two items - one in favor of the one position, the other in favor of the other position:

It's highly likely that some troublemaker super receiver - Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Dez Bryant, etc. would keep their nose clean and be good citizens if they came to the Green Bay Packers ........ and

There's a good reason why it is so rare to find elite WRs on Super Bowl teams. The best teams tend to be smart enough to know not to draft top flight WRs in the first round because 1 perceived talent before the draft often doesn't correlate to NFL stardom and 2 the difference made by the best WRs compared to merely "good" WRs ain't that much.

I come out on the side of NOT drafting or going after in free agency superstar WRs, but it ain't as clear and obvious as some would make it sound.

We saw what happened with Bert FAvor and Sterling Sharpe. Everyone thought the offense was gonna struggle after we lost Sterling to that neck injury. The opposite happened.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
musccy
8 years ago

The funny thing is...you didn't know it was in there until just now and went on to defend against what I was railing against.

I still wish we'd taken Dez. A brokedown good RIGHT tackle instead of a game changing defense changing WR. He was a major character risk, but man, in hindsight, we picked the wrong guy.

You have an interesting way of admitting you're wrong. I show how you just wasted 6 pages of responses misinterpreting the message of the article, and your only retort is about when I read the article. Anyway...

Dez - 70 million for 88 catches, 1300ish yards, and 16 tds last year. Oh yeah, and Jerry Jones had to hire a babysitter for him because he was partying too much and there were reports of him assaulting his mother and stealing jewelry.

Cobb/Jordy - 80 million for 183 catches, 2700ish yards, and 25 tds last year. No babysitters required.

I have zero interest in Dez - talented, but an immature diva. I'm not saying an elite WR like C.Johnson is necessarily a bad thing. I just don't want Dez, and I don't think it's crucial to success. SB history would support this idea too...maybe the 2006 Colts were the last team with an elite WR?

uffda udfa
8 years ago

Then he should neither BE one nor create a fake second identity to defend himself.

We saw what happened with Bert FAvor and Sterling Sharpe. Everyone thought the offense was gonna struggle after we lost Sterling to that neck injury. The opposite happened.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I have one account. 2nd fake identity? That's hysterical.

The Sterling point is a GREAT point...HOWEVER, the offense did improve after Sterling. Just like our O got better when we stopped trying to focus on Finley who was our most talented player. The issue wasn't with having a Sterling Sharpe it was with the way he was used. Same with Finley.

As for you, musccy...Demo goes off on this ridiculous article tangent and then works a throw away line into his piece later on because even he knows how idiotic his spin of how smart we are truly is.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
8 years ago

As for you, musccy...Demo goes off on this ridiculous article tangent and then works a throw away line into his piece later on because even he knows how idiotic his spin of how smart we are truly is.

It was Seifert, btw...and you completely glazed over my point about how the Packers are paying roughly the same amount, for roughly double the production of the babysitee down in Dallas. That, and SB history counter your point, so I suppose it's just easier to ignore it was said.

You went into reading that article and this whole thread with a preconceived notion that completely clouded what SEIFERT and everyone on here was trying to say.

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Seems to me that if you replace "Dez Bryant" with "Jimmy Graham", this whole thread is pretty much a repeat.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

New year, same Ole same Ole.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

It was Seifert, btw...and you completely glazed over my point about how the Packers are paying roughly the same amount, for roughly double the production of the babysitee down in Dallas. That, and SB history counter your point, so I suppose it's just easier to ignore it was said.

You went into reading that article and this whole thread with a preconceived notion that completely clouded what SEIFERT and everyone on here was trying to say.

I will admit when I'm wrong... you were right, it was Kevin Seifert...an old Minnesota beat guy who wrote the piece.

No pre conceived notion... to not want Dez type talent is ludicrous. To celebrate that you don't have it is even worse.
UserPostedImage

sschind
8 years ago

You have an interesting way of admitting you're wrong. I show how you just wasted 6 pages of responses misinterpreting the message of the article, and your only retort is about when I read the article. Anyway...

Dez - 70 million for 88 catches, 1300ish yards, and 16 tds last year. Oh yeah, and Jerry Jones had to hire a babysitter for him because he was partying too much and there were reports of him assaulting his mother and stealing jewelry.

Cobb/Jordy - 80 million for 183 catches, 2700ish yards, and 25 tds last year. No babysitters required.

I have zero interest in Dez - talented, but an immature diva. I'm not saying an elite WR like C.Johnson is necessarily a bad thing. I just don't want Dez, and I don't think it's crucial to success. SB history would support this idea too...maybe the 2006 Colts were the last team with an elite WR?

I'm not saying I disagree with you but you are talking 2 for 1. I would hope that any teams #1 and #2 WRs would out produce another teams #1. I think your argument would be stronger if you just concentrated on comparing #1s 88/1320/16/head case for Bryant 98/1519/13/no head case for Jordy. Given just that I would argue the Packers got the better of the deal.

nerdmann
8 years ago

Seems to me that if you replace "Dez Bryant" with "Jimmy Graham", this whole thread is pretty much a repeat.

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

New year, same Ole same Ole.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Only question that remains is, is Jeff Janis better than Dez Bryant?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18m) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (2h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (15h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (21h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (22h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (22h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.