Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

Great post Cheesy.

Barfarn - I too have been critical of Aaron Rodgers and some Burt-like tendencies, but how you can come out blasting after this game blows my mind. TWO THIRDS of the available WRs for the majority of this game WEREN'T EVEN ON THE ROSTER AT THE END OF TRAINING CAMP.

So he skipped a 4th down pass to Jones...BFD. His mobility in the pocket, a 61 yard shot to Janis, eluding pressure for a hail mary...and he didn't get to touch the ball in OT, and you blame him?

Shields has two picks bounce of his hands, broken coverage on Fitz's TD and Aaron Rodgers is who you dwell on?!?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Since 2010, the Defense has closed out several Playoff games; Aaron Rodgers has closed out only one [and that one only because Cobb caught a deflection on a choke throw by Aaron Rodgers on 3rd and 11 w/ 2 minutes left to preserve 5 pt win v. Dallas]; but no one on Defense is making anywhere near 22M per and you blame the defense?

Note: Shields was playing his first game with little practice in 4 weeks; that is to largely to blame him for failed INTs. But, he should be kicked in the nuts for stopping his play when Floyd kept on playing on the Fitz deflection.

Much of what I've been bItching about with Aaron Rodgers was ratified by this performance. If Kapernick has talented receivers, a great OL, and really good RBs performing well; he's pretty good. Take away one facet and he is mediocre; take away two and he stinks. This is why Kap got a 10M per prove it deal and MVP Aaron Rodgers got 22M per w/ a ton guaranteed. But, for much of this year Aaron Rodgers was Kapernick. And this cost us, AGAIN, the ability to play playoff games in GB.

Nerd complains that we can never put anyone away, and you all know this is 100% true. Here's why: (1) When Brady is up by 7 or 10 or 13 late in 3rd, they score, and score some TDs in their last few possessions-Game over, regardless of what the D or STs does. (2) Give the ball to Brady with 3 minutes, down by 7 or less, so now he has 4 downs to get 10 yards and he will score, leaving well under 1 minute, unless the opposing D does something amazing or if one of the other 10 on offense causes a turnover. (3) With weapons and OLman injured; Brady makes others around him better. Aaron Rodgers might be as good or better than Brady in many other situations; but he can’t carry Brady’s jock strap on these 3 critical issues.

In AZ, there is no arguing that Aaron Rodgers played well for 3 quarters; those 3 long drives under the circumstances was MVP type stuff. But, then comes the 4th Q. He AGAIN, becomes the deer in the headlights. In AZ, on 3 "normal drives" [not counting last drive] in 4th Q, Rodgers was 3-7-11 yards [a 50.2 passer rating]. What is his 4th Q passer rating with the game on the line? I'll bet its historically very low for a guy thought to be a pro-bowler, let alone an MVP. He wins what, 1 in 10, 1 in 20, on last drive opportunities? We saw this repeatedly in his rookie year and we've see it repeatedly in regular season since and now it is part of his core playoff character to wit:

In 2010:
In Philly: We're up 21-10 w/ ball w/ 4:27 in 3rd Q; game over right? Nope! We have a 3 and out; one 1st and punt; and another one 1st and punt; and Tramon INTs ball in endzone to preserve the 5 pt win.

In Atl: Rodgers can manage the game in 4th Q.

In Chicago: We're up by 14 w/ a 1st and goal at 8, with 9:02 left in 3rd: game over right? Nope! Aaron Rodgers throws INT; then one 1st down and punt; then 3 and out; then 2 1st downs and punt; then a 3 and out; and yet another 3 and out. Raji gets a pick 6 in there AND Shields gets a pick to preserve the 7 point win. [Thank God Todd Collins and Caleb Hainey were QBing].

In the Super Bowl: up 21-10 to start 3rd; Aaron Rodgers comes out with a 3 and out; another 3 and out; one 1st down and punt; and yet another 3 and out. One 1st down in 4 drives. This kills a D, yet CM3 causes the fumble and w/ a short field Aaron Rodgers does move the team for TD. Now on last drive were up by 3 and a TD ends the game, but we only get 3 and leave 2:10 for Pitt. The D had to close the game, again, not our $22M QB.

Rodgers can only win a playoff game, if he can manage a game in the 4th Q. The difference between 2010 and 2015 is that 2010-Rodgers wasn't sucking up 1/6th of the cap; so there's 1-2-3 more guys on defense that could be paid, giving the D more depth and talent to assist in closing out games, especially when those games are on the road.

In 2011:
V. Giants: He just plays a horrible game. The O comes alive in meaningless 4th Q. [Sound familiar?]. Rodgers had a 62 QB rating in first 3 quarters and a big fumble.

In 2012:
V. Minn: Aaron Rodgers manages a 4th Q in easy win
V. SF, Shields spots us a 7 point lead; but Aaron Rodgers completes just 5 passes in first half; giving SF the ability to catch up and run over us in second.

In 2013:
v. SF: We have ball first and goal at 9 w/ 6:12 left down by 3 and can only get FG; leaving it to an underpaid and depleted D to preserve the tie.

In 2014:
v. Dallas: Aaron Rodgers played his only Brady-like playoff game. In 4th Q, down by 1 drove 8 play in 80 to score TD [to R.Rodgers, BTW] to take 5 point lead [Though he flubbed the 2pt conv. Then with game in balance he got ball back and drained the last 4:06 [Though Cobb did catch a horrible choke throw/deflected pass on 3rd and 11 that if not caught would have given Dallas 2:00 to score a TD].

V. Seattle: Total choke job in Seattle w/ a 55.8 passer rating for game and a joke of a 59.9 passer rating in 4th Q.

If Aaron Rodgers cant close games, I'll still take him; but not for 22M! Because he's making 22M instead of a Kapernick's 10M, we must in 2016 let go a chunk of the D that will hurt all three levels. Not being able to resign Perry and Neal, hurts Peppers, who will have to play more; an UDFA will have to man the NT position, Hayward's loss will hurt the Secondary's play and depth. Now this depleted D is supposed to close out games for deer-headlight boy in 2016 and 17? The ONLY reason a person is paid 22M is because he will win games for you! Well, unless you're the Lions.

Of course, when he can throw all caution to the wind, down by 2 scores with 6 min to go; or down by 7 w/ 54 seconds, he will let his talents loose and if the Defense is undisciplined, he might even pull off the miracle. But, even in these caution-less moments his deer-in-the-headlighted-ness affects his play. His clock management is outrageously bad at the most critical moments. Wasting critical timeouts; do any of you realize how stupid that throw to Rodgers was in the Minn. Game ? And there is no excuse for that dumbass fake spike, NO EXCUSE!

I started forming this post when we punted on 1st 4th Q drive, Brady would have ended the game right there. Then the failure to move the ball on 2nd drive in 4th Q w/ 4 plays to get 10 yards was just outrageous. I'm not impressed nor have ever been impressed by the heroics and the last minute luck. I give zero credit to the Majikowski fluff crap. If you need that stupid luck crap, it is only because you suck as a team and it only makes stupid fans giddy. And whether Janis makes drops the Hail Mary or makes the catch; or our defense gets a pick 6 in OT for the win; or Fitz runs through the D like they’re little bitches; Rodgers is who he is. And he is not worth anywhere near 22M per!

And because Rodgers will absolutely suck in 40% of his Playoff games, and will suck in the 4th Quarter of 90% of close playoff games; it is statistically impossible for GB to win 3 or 4 in a row against playoff caliber teams, IMPOSSIBLE. We mind as well trade him to Browns for a 1st and 3rd and McCown. We'll be a better team for it.
umair_010
8 years ago
So how good was brady without gronk?
Cheesey
8 years ago
Yeah...Aaron Rodgers SUCKS! We should trade him straight up for Jay Cutler. He should be able to throw the football, and run down the field and catch it himself!
Just because he lost Jordy Nelson for the season, and Quarles, Montgomery, Cobb, Abberderis for several games shouldn't matter.😲
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Tough one for me... If not for this season I would say Barfarn was as crazy as Nerd. I lost a ton of respect for Aaron Rodgers as an NFL player this season largely due to his body language on the field. No real leader of any type of organization does that. It was pathetic and embarrassing to see an NFL MVP do that.

I fear entitlement has come to Rodgers. Where there once was a chip now there is his entitlement. He was great when trying to prove something...not so much when not.

If he starts out next regular season as he finished this one, I wouldn't wait too long to yank him. Sadly, though, then his value would be so diminished it would only be worth ridding the org of his prodigious contract. If we knew more about Hundley I wouldn't be opposed about dealing Aaron. That's a secondary reason for why we should've let him try to spark our moribund offense this season. Had he given a Rodgers in Dallas performance, the dealing of Aaron might be a real possibility. I can't see a beyond ultra conservative Ted Thompson dealing his MVP due to some nice pre-season performances but they did say when they dealt Favre they knew Aaron was ready by what they'd seen in practice all the time. A ballsy move that worked out extremely well. I'm all for another aggressive ballsy type move whether that involves Rodgers or not. Do something. Shake this organization up and give it reason to believe again.

Oh, he's worth two firsts and then some. I'd take JJ Watt and a 1 and 2 for him every single day. Send him to one of the teams way up high in the draft for their 1st and 2nd...that's two high picks this year and a 1st the next. Cleveland needs a QB. I'm sure he would have fun with Josh Gordon...and he would probably enjoy having a legit TE in Gary Barnidge.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

Yeah...Aaron Rodgers SUCKS! We should trade him straight up for Jay Cutler. He should be able to throw the football, and run down the field and catch it himself!
Just because he lost Jordy Nelson for the season, and Quarles, Montgomery, Cobb, Abberderis for several games shouldn't matter.😲

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

We don't need a QB, theoretically anyway.

Ted will want picks, but we could get plenty. Certainly a LT and elite TE
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
There are perhaps, 2 or 3 other QBs that could have gotten this team to where it made this year given the players missing and the injuries around him.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
8 years ago

There are perhaps, 2 or 3 other QBs that could have gotten this team to where it made this year given the players missing and the injuries around him.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Because Aaron played so well this year? 🤣
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Injuries occur its football. Kapernick needs everything just so perfectly right. You are admitting that Aaron Rodgers is Kapernick here.

See here's what you're missing: If Jordy gets hurt, the Packers still play with 11. HE IS REPLACED!

Now Jordy's gone, the Offense now stinks can we draw a casual link; that is, is Jordy missing the reason for the Offense blowing? If Jordy's replacement is running free and open; but Rodgers skips in a throw or doesn't see him, holds the ball and takes a sack or throws it away; the problem isn't Jordy missing. Right?

Clear your mind of all prejudice. Forget who you think the QB is and just watch the game and decide what that guy's value. Pretend 80 year old Bart Starr played and he was 2-42 for -8 yards. I evaluate his performance as pretty rotten and you try to counter that with how great he was in the 60's.

Rodgers is Bad 

Watch the plays that this article talks about and you'll see why we'd be very lucky to get a 1st and 3rd for Rodgers. BTW, this is how every GM will evaluate Rodgers' play, well everyone except Schneider, the guy is a fool, too bad he's got Wilson.

I wish for Rodgers to be a Brown
For a 1st, maybe a third, and McCown
We'll be better, so please dont frown
For Aaron Rodgers is a tool and a Clown
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
8 years ago

So how good was brady without gronk?

Originally Posted by: umair_010 

The premise of the questions makes me think you're missing the point. Does the loss of Jordy or Gronk hurt the offense, of course, the question is obvious and uninteresting. What is interesting is to what degree should a loss like that hurt.

To answer your question: NE has been 12-4 each of the last 4 years and Gronk has missed 16 games; NE is 11-5 in those 16; but the last game of 2014 the starters were rested, so really it's 11-4.

In 2012, NE had #1 Offense in scoring and yards. They lost their top 3 receivers and 5 of top 7, they lost: Floyd [131 targets] to retirement; Welker [174] to Free agency; Woodhead [55] to Free agency; Branch [29] to retirement; Hernandez [83] to murder. Only Gronk [79] and Edelman [32] remained for 2013. They went 12-4.

In 2013, they were replaced by a bushel basket of mediocrity: Amendola, Aaron Dobson. Kimbrell Thompkins, Brandon Bolden. And Gronk missed 9 games, had only 66 targets, less than in 2012. And they went 12-4.

This was a far more devastating loss than Rodgers suffered in 2015. Was the NE offense hurt by the changeover? Of course, in 2013 they fell to #6 in yards and #3 in scoring. NOT #29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brady is a winner and a HOF QB. Rodgers maybe was, but he is no longer, with less weapons lost Rodgers fell to #29. It's because he is an egocentric tool, who doesn't make the players around him better. He like the debutante, who if everything is not perfect throws a little hissy fit. This tool is now moaning about a coin flip? 3 drives in 4th quarter he could have iced the game and he got ZERO first downs and 11 yards and this tool fool thinks a coin flip would have changed thngs. In the 4th quarter; when he wasnt heaving the ball down field with his eyes closed, praying to Mary, he was 3-11-11.

Rodgers lives well he's not a smoker
Of Olivia now he only dreams to poke her
his past play works more like a cloaker
that Rodgers is a world class choker

PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

The premise of the questions makes me think you're missing the point. Does the loss of Jordy or Gronk hurt the offense, of course, the question is obvious and uninteresting. What is interesting is to what degree should a loss like that hurt.

To answer your question: NE has been 12-4 each of the last 4 years and Gronk has missed 16 games; NE is 11-5 in those 16; but the last game of 2014 the starters were rested, so really it's 11-4.

In 2012, NE had #1 Offense in scoring and yards. They lost their top 3 receivers and 5 of top 7, they lost: Floyd [131 targets] to retirement; Welker [174] to Free agency; Woodhead [55] to Free agency; Branch [29] to retirement; Hernandez [83] to murder. Only Gronk [79] and Edelman [32] remained for 2013. They went 12-4.

In 2013, they were replaced by a bushel basket of mediocrity: Amendola, Aaron Dobson. Kimbrell Thompkins, Brandon Bolden. And Gronk missed 9 games, had only 66 targets, less than in 2012. And they went 12-4.

This was a far more devastating loss than Rodgers suffered in 2015. Was the NE offense hurt by the changeover? Of course, in 2013 they fell to #6 in yards and #3 in scoring. NOT #29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brady is a winner and a HOF QB. Rodgers maybe was, but he is no longer, with less weapons lost Rodgers fell to #29. It's because he is an egocentric tool, who doesn't make the players around him better. He like the debutante, who if everything is not perfect throws a little hissy fit. This tool is now moaning about a coin flip? 3 drives in 4th quarter he could have iced the game and he got ZERO first downs and 11 yards and this tool fool thinks a coin flip would have changed thngs. In the 4th quarter; when he wasnt heaving the ball down field with his eyes closed, praying to Mary, he was 3-11-11.

Rodgers lives well he's not a smoker
Of Olivia now he only dreams to poke her
his past play works more like a cloaker
that Rodgers is a world class choker

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

The difference is Brady has a coach who will change the offense to match the personnel he has to work with. McCarthy won't.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!