Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
Last year, McGinn wrote that “his sources” let him know that McCarthy was frustrated with Ted not singing FAs. Of course, objective discerning minds knew this to be more of McSpinn’s Poppycock designed to create turmoil. Obviously, if Ted and Mike were at odds over such a critical issue; Mike would have left. Ya know kinda like when Eliot’s “friends” told McGinn that Eliot was mad.

At 21:40 in MM’s end of season press conference:

Q: To get over this hump does this team need to dip a little bit more into free agency?

A: “[Mike had an angry/mocking tone] What hump you talking about! Did you just listen to what I just said? I mean com’mon I mean, wa wa wa, ya, we got one more hump to get over, but frankly it doesn’t work that way… you don’t… just because of where we are today doesn’t mean we come back next year and we need that much more to get to the next game It's just not practical, it’s not practical thinking. I get where you have to write stories and you have your opinions…”

At 24:30 MM’s end of season press conference: Mike said he and Ted have dialogue all the time about personnel and Mike was quite funny talking about how his personnel board is better than Ted’s.

Mike and Ted are clearly in lockstep. And Mike knows Ted is very active in Free agency and the alternatives costs are discussed with Mike all the time. And even when both Ted and Mike agree to sign a FA, and lose other players as a result, sometimes the player just doesn’t want to come to GB because of the weather, lack of night life, distance from family and friends, difficulty of traveling to and from, lack of huge endorsement deals, etc.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Lockstep, huh?

From ESPN:

"Ted is back," McCarthy said. "I mean, I don’t know where the heck some of the articles come from. I don’t see any change in him. As far as his vision. I know when we have business conversations, which we haven’t had in quite some time, there’s a commitment to the contract that the organization has given us."

---Haven't had business conversations in "quite some time"? Yup. Sure. Two peas in a pod right there.

This is one of the all time great Mike McCarthy responses to give a peek under the veil about just how peas and carrots Mike and Ted are:

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mojaveson
7 years ago

Lockstep, huh?

From ESPN:

"Ted is back," McCarthy said. "I mean, I don’t know where the heck some of the articles come from. I don’t see any change in him. As far as his vision. I know when we have business conversations, which we haven’t had in quite some time, there’s a commitment to the contract that the organization has given us."

---Haven't had business conversations in "quite some time"? Yup. Sure. Two peas in a pod right there.

This is one of the all time great Mike McCarthy responses to give a peak under the veil about just how peas and carrots Mike and Ted are:

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I just lost respect for McCarthy since he's such a big Capers supporter. Three blind mice - Thompson, McCarthy and Capers. We get it that you don't change...but you NEED too! We need change, not more stubbornness!
Winners never quit and quitters never win. - Vince Lombardi
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I should've commented on MMs "not practical" comment in the OP. Did you catch the deflection there? What's not practical? Signing FAs to put you over the top? So, the bottom line is the bottom line, here?

This org is a cash cow cult. Any sensible questions are immediately deflected and redirected back toward the company line. Those outside the cult can see. Are you able to see or are you inside the hive?

It's one thing that to act like our brass does when you're a winner but when you constantly come up short it really borders on a cult the way sensible questions are discouraged and unaddressed.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

I just lost respect for McCarthy since he's such a big Capers supporter. Three blind mice - Thompson, McCarthy and Capers. We get it that you don't change...but you NEED too! We need change, not more stubbornness!

Originally Posted by: mojaveson 

Fans need to dial down the emotions, freaking R-E-L-A-X. 😂 If they're going to try to intelligently discuss the 2017 GB Packers. How come no one is calling for Edgar Bennett's head? If the D plays as it did and we won the game because Janis got 4 KOR for TDs, no one would be bitching about Bennett or Capers.

On D, two guys are being paid Daniels and CM3. If we add in 4-3 DT and DEs so we can have all 32 teams represented CM3 is paid about #8 at his position and Daniels #11. Peppers contract was the byproduct of wanting him the last 2 years. Then there's Burnett ranked #15. The rest low are salaried vets or 1st contract players. CM3 and Daniels, #1 and 2 on D, are getting paid less than Rodgers. Then you got Nelson, Cobb, Bak, Lang, Bulaga all getting paid more than Burnett. Every Packer fan says we only go as far as Rodgers, well ya, duh, the guy took 1/7 of the money. 53 guys and he gets a 7th. Oh and then we surround him with high priced weapons...surround him with high priced protection. At what expense? [drum roll please] at the expense of the D! Then you want to fire the D coordinator?

In Atlanta's first 4 drives, 2Tds, 1 FG and 1 punt. The DEFENSE DID ITS JOB relative to the way the team is built. This means we win, if the offense plays up their contracts. IT was the Offense that failed v. Atlanta not the D.

We went to final four and you want Capers fired, you want change? I don't get it, only Packer Fans. Oh, its based on results! Then the DBs were bad, so why isn't everyone screaming for Whitt's head?

Now ya fire Capers. Do we go without a DC? Who should we get? I'm thinking with technology Sandusky could be a choice. If we have a different DC, does the D then give up 2 TDs and 2 FGs in first 4 drives in Atl; or 1TD, 2FGs and a punt? Be sure you know the answer before you demand change for change's sake.

And more back to topic. Let's just go out and find 3 or 4 good defensive free agents, we got 51M! Well again, you name those FAs and either I right now or time will show you just how DUMB this philosophy is.

Please someone search every packer website, I want a list of all the names of all the players Ted didn't get because he's an ass in free agency. Like Asamoha the Cb from Oak; Dashon Golden the great safety we could have had instead of MD Jennings. I remember some self described expert on another site after the Bears signed Lamar Houston, Jared Allen, Bushrod, willie Young ,etc lambaste Ted and declared that is how a real GM does his job. Okay fine, he was very wrong; but only a true moron doesn't learn. Bet he was touting the signing of Freeman and Treavathan v. GB staying pat with Thomas and Ryan and Thomas and Ryan were better. Ya let's add those 6 guys to the list. Let's add 5 guys, actually Young was as good signing, but I'll bet no fan said Ted should get him/

For the loudest mouths of the vocal minority [Not speaking of you in any way mojaveson], find that list, show me in hindsight if any Packer fan at any point was ever smarter than Ted on any player. Find that list, and EDUCATE yourself with it! Don't remain a dope all your life!
uffda udfa
7 years ago
It's incredibly ironic reading some of this garbage about FA and how Ted is defended for his lack of involvement. Square for me MM's practical comments with Ted saying more than once that he does "try" in FA. Why is he even trying if that's so foolish or not practical? If he's really trying why is he almost always failing? Where is an intelligent reporter saying to Mike McCarthy that Jared Cook worked out. Was he impractical, too? Reporters get logical...hear illogical responses and don't retort back with more logic. Mike McCarthy just rebuffs all logic. Don't even get me started with how Ted handles logical questions.

Now, I get Green Bay is not the ideal spot but Reggie came here when he could've gone anywhere. Guys want a shot at the show but they need to see a team that's hungry for it. Coming to win a ring isn't going to happen because our org's rep is one of a flatline approach. FAs don't want to be here and UDFA's are lined up around the block. Why is that? (Rhetorical and obvious)

Danny Trevathan wanted to be here. He got hurt in Chicago. Jake Ryan runs like old Brewers catcher Ted Simmons. He's so typical of the not good enough but we'll go with him anyway approach we run around here.

Nobody is championing a balls out Dan Snyder approach to winning but for the love of...when there are glaring holes could we fix them with something more than a reach draft pick or a UDFA? We FINALLY did that with Jared Cook at TE. Turned out quite well. We don't need to ALWAYS be sitting out the first wave or even second of FA. Ted jumps in way too late to fit his frugal sensibilities.

EDIT: We went to final four and you want Capers fired, you want change? I don't get it, only Packer Fans. Oh, its based on results! Then the DBs were bad, so why isn't everyone screaming for Whitt's head?
--Barfarn from above.

I think it's pretty much assumed if Dom goes we're getting a whole new group of defensive coaches. A new DC is going to want his own staff of guys unless it's another promote from within buddy club move. Joe Whitt is always being praised. Why? When a UDFA DB makes the team I guess he gets the credit? Would love to see a person with tons of bravado who can back it up be brought in. Honestly, Dom looks like he had 3 servings of Thanksgiving turkey when you see him on TV. Just seeing him is demotivating. Football is a game of passion and intelligence. He doesn't come off as a nutty professor type with all this brilliance to stymie opposing offenses. Get him off the back 9 of his career and into the clubhouse. Geesh. The guy can't make a 3 foot putt so to speak.

"
UserPostedImage

PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
So thankful that Ted and Mike and Dom are in charge than so many of the Posters here and voices you hear on the radio. I don't feel like going back to the Packers of the 70's I grew up with.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
uffda udfa
7 years ago

So thankful that Ted and Mike and Dom are in charge than so many of the Posters here and voices you hear on the radio. I don't feel like going back to the Packers of the 70's I grew up with.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

You won't until Aaron retires or is dealt or becomes ineffective. So, what you're saying is TT, Mike McCarthy and Dom are the reason we've made the playoffs 8 years in a row and you are content with that and don't want to try for better because good is good enough for you?

Wow. I have a 180 opinion on that. Just boggles my mind that anyone would be thinking our braintrust is why we've made the playoffs 8 years straight. Hint: He wears #12

UserPostedImage

PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago

You won't until Aaron retires or is dealt or becomes ineffective. So, what you're saying is TT, Mike McCarthy and Dom are the reason we've made the playoffs 8 years in a row and you are content with that and don't want to try for better because good is good enough for you?

Wow. I have a 180 opinion on that. Just boggles my mind that anyone would be thinking our braintrust is why we've made the playoffs 8 years straight. Hint: He wears #12

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Yup Rodgers plays the game himself.

Brilliant. Reason is completely lost on you.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

The only one of the three I feel has worn out his welcome is Dom Capers.

I think Mike McCarthy is still good on offense.

I also have good reason to believe the new GM is making more and more of the roster decisions coming up so I'm not really hell bent on firing Ted Thompson. The transition has begun.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (11h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (15h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (15h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (16h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.