beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
I thought about putting this under the Papa Johns  subject, but really this bigger and different than that.

As Jones really didn't start this movement until Ezekiel Elliott was suspended, and it's Jones attempt to gain alpha control over the other owners, and steer the NFL for his own best interests. Though I wouldn't say either side is fighting for what is in the best interested of football fans, as the owners and league seem to ignore what the fans want.

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, the group of owners currently advocating for change sits at four or five, and maybe six. It’s believed that Washington owner Daniel Snyder is among those who support what Jones has been trying to do.

Some have interpreted reports of a 17-owner conference call from 12 days ago as proof that Jones is well on his way to the 24 owners necessary to scrap the Goodell extension and, in turn, to end the tenure of only the second Commissioner since the completion of the 30-year reign of Pete Rozelle. As the source explained it, however, that conference call was convened to discuss the lingering negotiating points in the Goodell extension (specifically, terms and amounts of incentives), and it unexpectedly became a platform for Jones to continue his broader push against Goodell. Some emerged from the conference call believing they’d been lured to participate under false pretenses.

This reality won’t stop Jones from continuing his push, even though some of his partners find the effort to be even more grating than Jones’ attempt to characterize himself as the “ranking owner” in the room.

profootballtalk  wrote:

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago
I guess I spoke too soon... should of been Jerry Jones war against the NFL.

"The issue" being Goodell's contract (and I'm assuming RB Ezekiel Elliott suspension)...

Jones has threatened to file suit over the issue. No lawsuit has been filed yet, however.

According to Belson, the Compensation Committee decided to revoke Jones’ ad hoc status as a member of the six-owner group after he disclosed his plans last week. PFT first reported on Tuesday evening that Jones no longer is a member of the Compensation Committee, in any capacity. The reasons for his departure weren’t known at the time.

The development comes at a team when resentment of Jones has grown among owners. Many resent his use of the phrases “ranking owner” and “senior ranking owner” at last month’s league meeting, and he has created frustration and acrimony via repeated efforts to hijack discussions among owners. If he actually sues his business partners over Goodell’s contract, Jones could take on full-blown Al Davis pariah-style status.

profootballtalk  wrote:

I'm not sure if Jones can make a case against the NFL owners giving Goodell a new contract, after all the Cowboys (among the majority) voted yes to give the Compensation Committee the power to give Goodell a new contract... Jones could potentially make an interesting case against the NFL for suspending his contract employee without more proof (which secretly might be what this is all about).
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
lmao ... my lord

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Kind of like having TWO "Darth Vaders" fighting it out!
I really don't care who wins!😝
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago

Kind of like having TWO "Darth Vaders" fighting it out!
I really don't care who wins!😝

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I certainly care, because if Jones wins he's just going to be embolden to do even more BS!

Remember, Jones supported suspending star players with no criminal activity when it happened to other teams, but when it's his star player, he's saying he's the "senior ranking" Captain and it's his way or he'll threatening the whole ship... you don't want that kind of guy thinking he's in control... even worse if it's really in control.

I don't mind if they take down each other, but I certainly don't want Jones winning, he'll just forever throw his weight around after that, ordering others what to do, like he's already trying to do.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago
And the truth finally comes out... Jerry Jones is attacking Goodell in every way possible is because Jones feels, Ezekiel Elliott got unfairly suspend. (Or as PFT reports: "Jerry Jones believes Goodell lied about Ezekiel Elliott")

So why is Cowboys owner Jerry Jones targeting Commissioner Roger Goodell? On the surface, it’s supposedly about the contract, and only about the contract.

But the it’s-just-business approach has a very real personal element to it. According to Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones believes that Goodell lied about the question of whether running back Ezekiel Elliott would be suspended. Specifically, Jones believes Goodell said Elliott would not be suspended.

Per Hill, Jones views the situation as an “unforgivable breach of trust.”

profootballtalk  wrote:

But even if you completely dismiss the ex-GF (who was thinking about and maybe attempted to blackmail Elliott), Elliott was still caught pulling his female friends breast out in public and her reaction was to cover them back up ASAP, so she didn't seem to want him doing that. Of course boyz will be boyz, and Jerry will defend his boyz no matter what.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago
Now it's being claimed Jerry Jones is fighting for the Commissioner's contract to be an incentive-base contract.

Years ago, it's been talked about NFL teams going from number based contracts, to percentage of cap based contracts for the players. But as long as the NFL market was going up, that the NFL would never do it, because they'd be losing money as players would get bonuses every time the cap went up. They said the market would have to go down before teams started looking at cap percentage based contracts (of course the players might not want them then), and now the NFL market has been going down and Jerry Jones wants an incentive based contract for the Commissioner!

While incentive base and percentage base aren't the same thing, it shows that when the NFL stops rising as fast, the NFL will start looking into different types of contracts in lots of different players.

Two articles here both from PFT about Jones pushing for incentive and Goodell not liking it
Jones wants less guarantees, more incentives for Goodell 
Report: Goodell “furious” about push for incentive-base deal 

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago
Jerry Jones accuses Arthur Blank of lying about Goodell extension... I didn't expect Jones to single out an owner like that... though earlier today I saw where a reporter said Jones is upsetting a number of owners, more than he's getting them to his side.

wow, I didn't see this one coming... Falcons Owner Arthur Blank is the one in charge of the committee to complete Goodell's contract... and he was very open letting Jones join, even offering him a voting position on the committee and Jones turned it down... instead choosing a non-voting position on the committee, which he recently lost (Blank might of taken it away) after Jones reportedly misled other owners into listening to him pitch what he thinks should be done.

Among other things, Cohen claims Blank told owners that the Compensation Committee would vote unanimously on the deal given to Goodell, even though Jones claims that the committee is not currently unanimous.

profootballtalk  wrote:

But reportedly Jones is going to try to turn this into threatening a lawsuit... also the article where PFT got it's info from says, Jones threatening to sue is MOST LIKELY just a "scare tactic" as he doesn't SEEM to have solid grounds for a strong case.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Jerry Jones thinks he can "buy" anything.
After all, it's always worked for him before.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago
So a lot of things have happened in this feud recently.

1) Jerry Jones explains his position a bit better, seeming to throw up a couple of different suggestions to see what sticks, namely that 1) Owners should approve of Roger Goodell’s decisions  (which implies that they currently can't, when the reality is they (as a majority) probably can) and that 2) the Compensation Committee should come to an agreement with the Commissioner before the NFL teams vote on it so that they know exactly what they're agree too... which this is the best point I've heard from Jones.

2) Other Owners have talked about their own nuclear option for dealing with Jerry Jones,  which includes making Jones sell the Cowboys if he becomes too big of a problem, because some of the owners believe Jones instigated the Papa Johns comments (who are business partners with Jones), which was closely followed by a strong push by Jones... either those pushes were planned together, or they were strongly close to each other.

3) They straight up told Jones to SHUT-UP OR ELSE:NFL tells Jerry Jones to cease and desist 
So they're either about to fight, shut-up or throw more verbal jabs.

The letter mentions a range of possible sanctions, including fines, stripping of draft picks, and suspending Jones. (PFT reported on Sunday night that some owners have discussed the possibility of initiating a proceeding aimed at forcing Jones to sell the team.)

The Compensation Committee currently consists of Falcons owner Arthur Blank, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, Giants co-owner John Mara, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Steelers owner Art Rooney II, and Texans owner Bob McNair.

Belson’s latest article also mentions something that PFT has consistently reported, and that others in the media have pooh-poohed: Some owners believe that Jones instigated Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter to publicly disparage the league during a recent earnings conference call, blaming reduced corporate revenues on the NFL’s current controversies and ratings declines.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.