KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
First, I have a proven track record of being wrong on my draft evaluations in the past....repeatedly and consistantly....from Tony Mandarich to Oren Burks, who I thought would start and dominate day one.

With those caveats...here goes....some thoughts re-posted from other threads.

Overall:[list]
  • It is a very athletic group[*]Clearly there is some development that needs to be done near term, so Gutey must trust the staff[*]Clearly, the staff had a helluva lot of input. I like it, because these guys are going to sink and swim together[*]They must feel Burks/Josh Jones are going to be seeing alot of time at LB...they better have a big jump[*]I am a huge Pettine fan and so must the organization be, as we are drafting to his schemes...dare I say to very specific need[*]They are counting on Allison and some of our youngsters to step it up...you gotta gamble somewhere[*]As Buckeye pointed out, we may very well see huge turnover at guard....fine with me.[*]The drafting and defense seem to me to be New England like, with tons of flexible players.[/list]Since everyone at Lombardi Avenue seems to be on the same page....I am good with it.
  • Specifically:[list][*]I think we could have gotton Gary lower, i.e. traded down and net kept a fourth rounder[*]LOVE the safety (see above, which means he'll suck)[*]Getsy clearly has the ear of the organization as at least two guys were linked to him[/list][*]Although not the specific guys I wanted, I am happy we are trying to upgrade the guard play.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    buckeyepackfan
    5 years ago

Where's Savage?

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    Buckeye...it shows on my viewing of Z2C's post

1st Round (12th Overall) DE Rashan Gary
    1st Round (21st Overall) DB Darnell Savage Jr
    2nd Round (44th Overall) G Elgton Jenkins
    3rd Round (75th Overall) TE Jace Sternberger
    5th Round (150th Overall) DE Kingsley Keke
    6th Round (185th Overall) CB Ka'dar Hollman
    6th Round (194th Overall) RB Dexter Williams
    7th Round (226th Overall) ILB Ty Summers

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    wpr
    • wpr
    • Preferred Member
    5 years ago
    Being a non expert who does not sit and watch hours and hours of tape on hundreds and hundreds of players, I am overall satisfied with the draft. There will always be questions. Why did they take this player. Why didn't they take that one.

Above all I would love to sit in the draft room and listen to their conversations.

I mentioned it in another post, I find it very convenient that positions of need dovetailed so well with the BPA.
    UserPostedImage
    Mucky Tundra
    5 years ago
    [list]
  • I'm completely divided on the Gary pick. One minute I'm worried about his shoulder and lack of refinement, then I watch a clip and fall in love with his speed and athleticism. Regardless, Gutey wouldn't have drafted him if Pettine didn't think he could do something with him and that's enough for me at the moment.
  • While it came at a high cost, I absolutely love Savage as a future starting FS. Dude plays like a heat seeking missile. With a steady vet like Amos alongside him, I think the bumps in the road with this guy will be minimized
  • Was hoping we could grab one of the OTs that fell out of the first round at #44, but I like Jenkins in the middle with the ability to play G or C if Linsley gets hurt.
  • Sternberger looks like the seam busting threat we haven't had since Finley went down against the Browns in 2013. Him and Graham should be able to be big bodied targets in the red zone if LaFleurs scheme works as advertised. And that's probably all he'll be doing this year given how rookie TEs work.
  • Keke looks like a real intriguing piece. Surprisingly athletic and quick given his build.
  • Was happy with the drafting of Hollman as I wanted a day 3 pick for depth at CB. Another burner in the secondary and will contribute on ST if he makes the cut in training camp.
  • Williams might be the best value pick in this draft class. Looks like a guy who can immediately plug a role (#2 RB). Also happy with this pick as a I wanted a day 3 pick for depth at RB.
  • Summers looks like the typical 7th rounder: good camp fodder and will be a ST guy if he makes the team

• In general & misc:
  • Gutey is clearly getting guys that Pettine wants
  • Gutey is also big on speed and athleticism
  • With the additions of Savage, Hollman and Amos on top of King, Alexander and Jones, we have some real speed in our secondary and they don't look afraid to hit. No more Haha's, Peprahs or MacMillians here. That said, some of them are on the small side and durability might be an issue
  • I still stand by my assessment that this D-Line could be a monster  this year.
  • Montravius Adams might be in trouble, esp if Mo Wilkerson is brought back (supposedly offered a one year deal that's pending on a physical)
  • Not looking good for McCray, Taylor and Spriggs either . Personally, I think there's going to be a blood-letting of Thompsons guys at the end of training camp
  • I'm officially dubbing Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith as Z-Smith and P-Smith. Also, I'm dubbing Jamaal Williams and Dexter Williams as J-Williams and D-Williams (or J-Will and D-Will for short).
  • Sternberger, Keke and D-Will are One Year Wonders of sorts. Sternberger from transferring, Keke from switching positions and D-Will from only playing one year.
  • While I like St. Brown and MVS, I admit I'm worried about the WR position. Outside of Adams, there's no real proven commodity.
  • Speaking of thin positions, there's the ILB spot. It's somewhat mitigated with sub packages and using Jones in the box but it remains an eye sore.
  • I think the RB group will be a darkhorse on offense this year. Aaron Jones and D-Will look like a nice 1-2 combo and will allow J-Will to settle in as a nuts and bolts/little big of everything guy.
  • Outside of trading up for Savage, Gutey seemed to get the guys he wanted at the spots where we drafted. #steelyeyedassassin
  • Did you know that Savage is a Savage Jr? Meaning there's a Savage Senior?! Sounds like a guy who eats meat uncooked and is tougher that a coffin nail.
  • The Packers subreddit on reddit is trying to dub our secondary as the Legion of Zoom. I can get behind this idea.
  • Does Keke love us ?
  • With our current depth at ILB, it almost makes me wish we had AJ Hawk back. Almost.

• [/list]
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    go.pack.go.
    5 years ago
    I was really hoping for an ILB and a WR, and was hoping they would be higher end picks. These are really the only two positions that I am really concerned about on our roster at this point in time.
    UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    5 years ago
    WR could be an issue, but we've got Allison and Kumerow in case the young 'uns don't step it up. That's what they're there for. The worst case scenario.

However I do expect them to take that 2nd year jump, especially Jmon, who has the potential to be Davante 2.0. MVS could be a Donald Driver type dude.

So if the rooks step forward, we're good. If they don't, we're just ok. Out of the three, at least two will come on strong, imo. This offense will play to their strengths.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Zero2Cool
    5 years ago

Okay, so here is who I was hoping we would draft at the actual selected positions.
    1st 12th - DE Brian Burns
    1st 21st - DE Montez Sweat
    2nd 44th - WR A. J. Brown
    3rd 75th - TE Jace Sternberger

I really had no actual thoughts about the other ones. And to be honest, I know NOTHING about the players other than what I've read and found online so my "preference" picks are crap shoot. So, if somehow those first three turn into Hall of Fame players, it was purely luck. And if they turn out to be complete washouts, that's more accurately depicting my knowledge of college players.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    beast (2h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (4h) : damn those vikings
    beast (4h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (4h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (4h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (4h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (11h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (12h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (12h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
    wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
    Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
    Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
    Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
    Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
    Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.