Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
Around 10pm tonight, I went outside to take out the garbage. I looked up in the night sky, and I saw something moving. It was NOT a plane. WAY too high. Then, I noticed ANOTHER ONE behind it. Then another, then another.....it went on like that until there were literally DOZENS of these things.
I called my wife outside to see it ( then I fell down the stairs).
I was in such a hurry, thinking they would have stopped, and she would think I was nuts. (More then normal) but they still were coming. She watched for several minutes, then went back inside. I stayed outside and watched these “things” still going across the sky. I honestly have NO idea what they were. I have always liked sky watching, and have never seen anything like this.
Anyone have any idea what I was seeing?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
April Meteor Shower

The Lyrid Meteor Shower is usually active between April 16 and 25 every year. It tends to peak around April 22 or 23.

Oldest Recorded Meteor Shower
Named after constellation Lyra, the Lyrids are one of the oldest recorded meteor showers—according to some historical Chinese texts, the shower was seen over 2,500 years ago. The fireballs in the meteor shower are created by debris from comet Thatcher, which takes about 415 years to orbit around the Sun. The comet is expected to be visible from Earth again in 2276.

What Time is the Meteor Shower Tonight
The table is updated daily when the Lyrids are active and shows the position of the radiant in the sky for the upcoming night. The Lyrids will be active starting Apr 16, 2020. Use the date drop down above the Interactive Meteor Shower Sky Map to change dates.

Lyrids meteor shower for Naples (Night between April 18 and April 19)
Time Azimuth/Direction Altitude
Sat 11:00 pm 56°East-northeast 9.2°
Sun 12:00 midnight 61°East-northeast 20.6°
Sun 1:00 am 65°East-northeast 32.6°
Sun 2:00 am 67°East-northeast 44.9°
Sun 3:00 am 67°East-northeast 57.3°
Sun 4:00 am 62°East-northeast 69.6°
Sun 5:00 am 35°Northeast 80.2°
Sun 6:00 am 320°Northwest 79.5°
Sun 7:00 am 297°West-northwest 68.6°
Direction to see the Lyrids in the sky:

Azimuth is the direction, based on true north; a compass might show a slightly different value.
Altitude is height in degrees over horizon.

You don't need any special equipment or a lot of skills to view a meteor shower. Even though all you really need is a clear sky, lots of patience, and our handy Interactive Meteor Shower Sky Map with a visibility conditions meter to see a meteor shower, the following tips can help maximize your shooting star viewing experience.

Find a secluded viewing spot, away from the city lights. Once at the venue, your eyes may take 15 to 20 minutes to get used to the dark.
Dress for the weather, and make sure you are comfortable, especially if you plan to stay out long. Bring a blanket or a comfortable chair with you—meteor watching can be a waiting game.

Once you have found your viewing spot, lie down on the ground and look up in the direction of the radiant. Use our Interactive Meteor Shower Sky Map or the table above to find the current direction of the radiant in the sky.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
How about this website? Sports AND astronomy.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
4 years ago
These “things” were not meteors. They were not going as fast as meteors, and they were spaced the same distance apart. They were much faster then planes, but didn’t shoot across the sky like meteors do .They went from south west to north east. When one was almost directly above, another would appear in the south west sky, on the same exact trajectory as the previous one.
I’ve watched plenty of meteor showers over my 62 years. This was something very different. I’ve even seen satellites and even the space station fly over.
2 of these UFOs started in different areas, and then got in line with the other ones. Like I said, dozens of them over at least 15 minutes.
I’m not joking. This was unlike anything I’ve ever seen.
That’s what has me so confused. I’ve seen strange things before. Nothing like this.
I wish I knew what I was watching.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
4 years ago
I’m still trying to figure out what we saw. I’m baffled. I keep wondering why I haven’t seen anything about it on the web. We can’t be the only ones that saw what happened.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
If they were flying in formation, I would assume they were probably drones of some sort.

Your story reminds me of this report  from your general area, which was filed about a month ago.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
4 years ago

If they were flying in formation, I would assume they were probably drones of some sort.

Your story reminds me of this report  from your general area, which was filed about a month ago.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Thanks for the help, Non!
Can drones be that high up?
The satellite idea seems to fit more what we saw. They were far apart, you would see 3 across the entire sky at once. All the same distance apart. All going the same speed.
I had never heard of those kinds of satellites. Maybe that was what they were.👽
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
Distances in the night sky are almost impossible to judge, so I don't know how high up they were. Satellites don't typically travel in formation, but I have heard that Elon Musk's new fleet of "Starlink" satellites is visible from the ground, so maybe that's what you saw!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
4 years ago

Distances in the night sky are almost impossible to judge, so I don't know how high up they were. Satellites don't typically travel in formation, but I have heard that Elon Musk's new fleet of "Starlink" satellites is visible from the ground, so maybe that's what you saw!

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

After reading what others saw, Starlink seems to fit to a tee. I had never heard of those before you posted about it.
I checked the Starlink site, and it lists times we should be able to see them (weather permitting). Tomorrow night (Friday April 24) it lists around 8:50 to 9:10 pm in our area. So I’m going to try to see if I can spot them again. If so, the mystery will be solved.
Thanks again for the info! I was truly baffled!
My wife was saying to me “the mother ship is coming to pick you up! HE’S OVER HERE!!!”😂
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
4 years ago
I went outside tonight, and I saw the starlink satellites.
So I’m now certain that the mystery was solved by Non.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (4h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (7h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (7h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (7h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (8h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (8h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (19h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (20h) : damn those vikings
beast (20h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (21h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (21h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (21h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.