packman31
15 years ago
I think that Ted Thompson and mcarthy were expecting the packers to be as good as last year when they let Favre go. You have to expect growing pains when you start a new QB. Rodgers will grow into a good QB but it will take some time. I always thought Favre made those around him better and he has the leadership presence on the field that Rodgers does not have yet. Give Rodgers a year or two and he will be fine.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I just don't see this year's problem as being anything to do with Rodgers. He's been good. he's the 8th highest rated passer in the league. 5th in TD passes. 2/1 TD/int ratio.

this year our problems are poor ST play, injuries, and a really really tough schedule.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
How about this: Can we allow that there is some merit in Obi's argument? Being a lifelong Bulls fan, I can say with some confidence that Jordan had more impact on those teams than just what he displayed on the court -- there certainly was a palpable lift when he was on the team that hasn't been there since. Reggie White did provide a similar lift when he came to Green Bay, I firmly believe this. And sure, I'm more than willing to believe that Brett brought something similar to the team last year*, and is doing so for the Jets this year.

HOWEVER, do I believe that this is the one difference between last year and this year? That our record is significantly worse this year simply because Brett and his 'inspiration' aren't in Green Bay anymore? No way -- that's crazy talk, and it inflates the effect of that 'inspiration' to a level that makes no sense.

I'm willing to consider that the lack of Brett's presence may be one of several factors (injuries, much tougher schedule, missing players like Williams more than any of us predicted) that's led to this disappointing season. Perhaps we might even have a win or maybe two more, because perhaps that 'inspiration' might have borne out in a couple last-minute drives... maybe. It's hard to say, because as someone already pointed out we simply can't know what's in the players' hearts.

Bottom line: the line between above average and below average in the NFL is razor thin, and we're simply on the wrong side of it this year, due to several factors. Look at Carolina last year -- very similar story, and this year they're challenging the Giants for the best record in the NFC. That's just how the NFL works these days -- parity will make for some roller-coaster rides.

*please note that I'm specifying last year on purpose -- I doubt very highly that his fellow players were inspired the previous couple years when he was happily throwing them under the bus in his public statements.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago

I'm willing to consider that the lack of Brett's presence may be one of several factors (injuries, much tougher schedule, missing players like Williams more than any of us predicted) that's led to this disappointing season. Perhaps we might even have a win or maybe two more, because perhaps that 'inspiration' might have borne out in a couple last-minute drives... maybe. It's hard to say, because as someone already pointed out we simply can't know what's in the players' hearts.

I would agree with that 100%

But the people that say Brett missing is the only reason this team sucks, will not listen to any other factors
packman31
15 years ago
Alot of it is coaching, look at New England losing Brady and still in the running for their division. Many other teams lose key players and still go on and win. The giants have lost some key running backs and people on defense but they still are winning. The packers are playing sloppy with the most penalties in the nfc.
blank
RaiderPride
15 years ago
I think Brett could have made the record better this year if he was the starter. Not 13 and 3, not with the injuries this year, and not with the sched. But it would have been better than it is at this piont.

BUT....

The only way it would have happened in my opinion is if RIGHT AFTER the loss in the NFC Championship game last year he would have said..

"This year has been fun and I am coming back next year."

However, he did not do that.... He chose to retire in a very teary and emotional retirement speach. Then he wanted back in.

If the Packers let him come to camp and start, there would not have been the influence on the team that he had before. Not after the whole crying thing, the way the team drafted knowing he retired, and the amount of work the players put in during the off season to adjust. It would have been a split locker room.

This is a young team, and I agree with many here that it is just a matter of fixing the lines, gelling, and getting more experience.

That is my opine. Take the best and leave the rest.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Cheesey
15 years ago
OB1......I understand what you are saying, and agree with alot of it. I do think that situations can make people rise to the occasion, to a certain extent. That may have affected last season.
I just mean there are alot of other things then just that that have affected this season. A tougher schedule, major lapses on the defense and special teams, bad play calling at important times, and so on. I just don't think that if Favre was here this season that it would have made much of a difference. I don't think him being here would take away all the REAL problems that have shown up this season on the field. After all, the Packers have actually scored one more point then the Jets this year so far. The BIG difference is the 2 defenses, and the Jets easy schedule.

I'm sorry if i offended you with previous comments. That wasn't what i was trying to do!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

I think Brett could have made the record better this year if he was the starter. Not 13 and 3, not with the injuries this year, and not with the sched. But it would have been better than it is at this piont.

BUT....

The only way it would have happened in my opinion is if RIGHT AFTER the loss in the NFC Championship game last year he would have said..

"This year has been fun and I am coming back next year."

However, he did not do that.... He chose to retire in a very teary and emotional retirement speach. Then he wanted back in.

If the Packers let him come to camp and start, there would not have been the influence on the team that he had before. Not after the whole crying thing, the way the team drafted knowing he retired, and the amount of work the players put in during the off season to adjust. It would have been a split locker room.

This is a young team, and I agree with many here that it is just a matter of fixing the lines, gelling, and getting more experience.

That is my opine. Take the best and leave the rest.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Great points RP!!! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago

For comparison purposes, as of Week 14 last year, Green Bay had scored 361 points and surrendered 229 points.

By startling contrast, as of Week 14 this season, Green Bay has scored 355 points and surrendered an incredible 320 points.

Last year at this time, Green Bay's point differential was +132; this year it's +25. The fact our record is an abysmal 5-8 with a positive point differential shows how close the games have been.

But the fact remains: this team has scored only 1.38% fewer points than last year (with a first-year starter, at that) but has surrendered 39.7% more points than last year. That's an enormous burden for our offense to have to overcome.

Brett Favre made all the difference? The facts say otherwise.

"longtimefan" wrote:

POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

that is outstanding!!

Now as greenandNOtgold and obi are trying to say is that their opinion is that Brett would make up all that difference

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I have to laugh at these facts lol. Sure you got the amount right for the team but you forgot to take away the 9 Tds scored by the defense and special teams this year to 4 last year now redo your points thank you. Then you can compare those stats right. Just wanted to make sure the right " stats" are being compared
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
15 years ago
OK....this is getting annoying.

Hash over all you want about the QB position.....the REALITY is that the Packers have regressed on defense and special teams precipitously, and are the primary contributors to the team's current win/loss record.

Rodgers has come in and performed beyond damn near anyone's expectations. Is he Brett Favre? Nope....and probably never will be since that is a once-in-a-lifetime QB. That said, Brett is no Arron Rodgers. Each has their own set of strengths/weaknesses....but at the end of the day, both are good enough to win lots of games when all aspects of the team are performing at a reasonable level. Currently, 2/3 of our team are performing FAR below reasonable.

Get over Favre's being gone.....he walked away. ENJOY the fact that GB appears to have a very good successor whose future looks quite bright....something MANY teams in the league are still struggling to establish....several for decades.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"