dhazer
15 years ago

OK....this is getting annoying.

Hash over all you want about the QB position.....the REALITY is that the Packers have regressed on defense and special teams precipitously, and are the primary contributors to the team's current win/loss record.

Rodgers has come in and performed beyond damn near anyone's expectations. Is he Brett Favre? Nope....and probably never will be since that is a once-in-a-lifetime QB. That said, Brett is no Arron Rodgers. Each has their own set of strengths/differences....but at the end of the day, both are good enough to win lots of games when all aspects of the team are performing at a reasonable. Currently, 2/3 of our team are performing FAR below reasonable.

Get over Favre's being gone.....he walked away. ENJOY the fact that GB appears to have a very good successor whose future looks quite bright....something MANY teams in the league are still struggling to establish....several for decades.

"digsthepack" wrote:

Back to the Facts. People are saying we are giving up so many more points on defense this year but you forget we are also scoring alot more on defense this year. Plus get your facts straight Brett didn't walk away from the Packers he was traded Ted Thompson wouldn't let him walk away lol :pottytrain2:
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
millertime
15 years ago

we are also scoring alot more on defense this year.

"dhazer" wrote:

we were. but once that went away, so did all of our victorys. alas, when does FA start?
longtimefan
15 years ago

For comparison purposes, as of Week 14 last year, Green Bay had scored 361 points and surrendered 229 points.

By startling contrast, as of Week 14 this season, Green Bay has scored 355 points and surrendered an incredible 320 points.

Last year at this time, Green Bay's point differential was +132; this year it's +25. The fact our record is an abysmal 5-8 with a positive point differential shows how close the games have been.

But the fact remains: this team has scored only 1.38% fewer points than last year (with a first-year starter, at that) but has surrendered 39.7% more points than last year. That's an enormous burden for our offense to have to overcome.

Brett Favre made all the difference? The facts say otherwise.

"dhazer" wrote:

POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

that is outstanding!!

Now as greenandNOtgold and obi are trying to say is that their opinion is that Brett would make up all that difference

"longtimefan" wrote:

I have to laugh at these facts lol. Sure you got the amount right for the team but you forgot to take away the 9 Tds scored by the defense and special teams this year to 4 last year now redo your points thank you. Then you can compare those stats right. Just wanted to make sure the right " stats" are being compared

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

correct me if I am wrong but he is giving point differentials which includes ALL 3 parts of the team..

As it is shown the difference is like 5 points a game

He also said the TEAM
dingus
15 years ago
And I do believe the Jets have some defensive points as well.
blank
obi1
15 years ago
It still seems that some people are not getting my point.

I NEVER said that the Packers are better off WITH Favre. I NEVER said that Rodgers is an inadequate leader.

What I said was that Favre's legend, his aura elevated the overall team attitude and effort in 2007.

It brought more out of the team. In all catagories. ARE THER STATISTICS TO MEASURE THAT? I don't think so.

The 2008 Packers team doesn't seem to have that extra gear the 2007 team had... I think it was the LEGEND of Favre that precipitated an overachieving 2007 season. Sometimes playing with a legend makes you a a bit better. That, multiplied by 43 takes the WHOLE team to another level.

The point that seems to get lost is that I am not COMPARING Favre to Rodgers, instead pointing out that the Favre factor or the REGGIE factor or the CHUCK NORRIS factor, whatever made the players a bit more committed, give more heartful efforts, and raise their game to another level is MISSING this year... At least recently.

I mentioned the Favre factor because this team didn't know a Reggie White and likely doesn't know Chuck Norris.

RP made a good point. And I appreciate the empirical data searchers but, there are somethings that statistics don't show. To me, THAT is the Favre factor.

I hope that Rodgers keeps kicking ass next 3 games to improve his rating and the chances for the Packers to finish strong but I see the team lacking a bit of that edge of a championship bound team.

BTW, Chuck Norris had nothing to do with the US Karate team story.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago

When you keep the other team's offense off of the field as well as Favre did, THAT'S the ultimate defense!

"oskarliminga" wrote:

so if time of possession is greater for this year than last year does that still apply??
longtimefan
15 years ago
almost forgot also getting about 2 more plays per game than last year on offense
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I think that honor [of greatest Packer ever] goes to Don Hutson.

"obi1" wrote:

You raise a great point. I think a compelling case could be made that Don Hutson was indeed the greatest Packer ever. He dominated the league in a way no Packer player -- perhaps no professional football player of any position, with the possible exceptions of Jim Brown and Otto Graham -- ever has, before or since.

I was drawing a direct comparison between Starr and Favre in my statement, but I admit it was possibly flawed for not including Hutson.

but I can now see that you have me classified as a Favre WORSHIPPER.

"obi1" wrote:

For the record, it was not you but greenwhiteandnogold I put in that category. But I think that's a pointless thread of discussion to pursue at this point.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago

For comparison purposes, as of Week 14 last year, Green Bay had scored 361 points and surrendered 229 points.

By startling contrast, as of Week 14 this season, Green Bay has scored 355 points and surrendered an incredible 320 points.

Last year at this time, Green Bay's point differential was +132; this year it's +25. The fact our record is an abysmal 5-8 with a positive point differential shows how close the games have been.

But the fact remains: this team has scored only 1.38% fewer points than last year (with a first-year starter, at that) but has surrendered 39.7% more points than last year. That's an enormous burden for our offense to have to overcome.

Brett Favre made all the difference? The facts say otherwise.

"dhazer" wrote:

POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

that is outstanding!!

Now as greenandNOtgold and obi are trying to say is that their opinion is that Brett would make up all that difference

"longtimefan" wrote:

I have to laugh at these facts lol. Sure you got the amount right for the team but you forgot to take away the 9 Tds scored by the defense and special teams this year to 4 last year now redo your points thank you. Then you can compare those stats right. Just wanted to make sure the right " stats" are being compared

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

last year total of 49 tds...had 3 from D and s/t take those away thats 46 tds...322 points ....31 fg or 93 points...

415 points===26 points per game on offense

This year so far

41 tds take away the 8 from D and s/t thats 33tds or 231 points..........22 fg...66 points for total of 297 points..for an average of about

23 points on offense

So yeah big time difference..
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I know the role modeling that goes on and the importance of it.

"obi" wrote:

I don't think anyone here denies or downplays the importance of role modeling. I just think that with respect to the Packers' success, you're idealistically, perhaps a bit romantically, overestimating the importance of Favre's influence to the overall accomplishments of the team.

I think ILikeThePackers39 may have said it best:

HOWEVER, do I believe that this is the one difference between last year and this year? That our record is significantly worse this year simply because Brett and his 'inspiration' aren't in Green Bay anymore? No way -- that's crazy talk, and it inflates the effect of that 'inspiration' to a level that makes no sense.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

And I couldn't agree more with the opinion of RaiderPride:

The only way it would have happened in my opinion is if RIGHT AFTER the loss in the NFC Championship game last year he would have said..

"This year has been fun and I am coming back next year."

However, he did not do that.... He chose to retire in a very teary and emotional retirement speach. Then he wanted back in.

If the Packers let him come to camp and start, there would not have been the influence on the team that he had before. Not after the whole crying thing, the way the team drafted knowing he retired, and the amount of work the players put in during the off season to adjust. It would have been a split locker room.

"RaiderPride wrote:

UserPostedImage