Zero2Cool
2 years ago

I don't believe for a second that the trade was made official before the pick and they knew exactly whom was or wasn't available.

GMs have talked about teams pulling out of trades at the last moment, when a guy they didn't think would drop, did drop (which Gute said happened a lot in 2021 draft... both when they were looking at trade downs for their 1st round, and trying to trade up from their 3rd round), as well as teams pulling out of a trade when the guy they wanted was drafted and no longer available.

So my believe is that the Packers totally wanted to trade up... first for the WR the Vikings got, then for the WR the 49ers got.... but even after they were both taken off the draft board, the Packers still had a decision, to go through with the deal or not.

Gute went through with the trade knowing the board, and knowing probably whom he was going to select. The QB wasn't the position he was hoping for, but he thought he was the best potential left on the board. And if Love develops into just Derek Carr level of talent, then Gute might very well be correct! And Love has the raw potential to be better than Carr, though can he develop it? I've always thought he'd need 3 years to develop at least.

Also if we're trading Rodgers after the season, maybe we can pick up a veteran like Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick on a short term cheap deal. To have a vet backup just in case... if Blake Bortles doesn't stick around... of course Bottles might stock around with his former offensive coordinator being our current offensive coordinator.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I'm not sure who traded up first, 49ers or Packers, but the 49ers selecting a WR that was basically the same as what they have was not what anyone thought. That's the belief the Packers had too, at least, so I read. I'm not saying Jordan Love was last resort, I'm sure they figured if their targeted WR's were gone, they were perfectly fine with taking a QB.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

I'm not sure who traded up first, 49ers or Packers, but the 49ers selecting a WR that was basically the same as what they have was not what anyone thought. That's the belief the Packers had too, at least, so I read. I'm not saying Jordan Love was last resort, I'm sure they figured if their targeted WR's were gone, they were perfectly fine with taking a QB.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think they targeted Love and went up and got him. I think they're sick of Aaron's coke-based douchebaggery. I just don't think they want to have to interact with him anymore on a daily basis.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
2 years ago
Glad a face saving deal could be struck so Rodgers comes back for the last dance.

I'm fine with the two sides parting ways next year amicably however I'm a little concerned what the Packers promised him. I want a boatload of picks when he's traded I hope that hasn't been undermined.

Edit: Also hope they franchise and trade Adams if he wants to compete with Hopkins for top money next offseason. I like him alot but not 27mil a year like him.
beast
2 years ago

49ers traded up first... they traded up when the pick was there.

The Packers seemed to have those WRs and QB in a tier higher than what they believed would fall to them.

I think they targeted Love and went up and got him. I think they're sick of Aaron's coke-based douchebaggery. I just don't think they want to have to interact with him anymore on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The rumors before the draft were that they were targeting the LSU WR that the Vikings got, and I believe somewhere it sounded like the scouts were disappointed they didn't get the WR the 49ers grabbed.

Those Gute selects at WR still make me a bit nervous, as he seems to really like WRs with great college QBs. (Wanted the LSU WR when the LSU QB went #1 overall, wanted the Clemons WR when the Clemson QB went #1 overall). Which sometimes those great college QBs are making the players look a bit better than they really are, and sometimes WRs with bad QBs are much better once they get good QBs.

I think it's going to be interesting to see who's the better pro, WR Rodgers or Nico Collins... of course, the Packers also needed a return guy and a person for the sweep role and that's clearly more up Rodgers alley, so the best fit for need was Rodgers, but I think Collins might have better potential for strictly normal WR duties.

But Rodgers was a great need for, much he's versatile (which this scheme loves) and if you have a creative coach can come up with some interesting mismatches.

Lineup, then split Aaron Jones out wide and watch as a LB follows and then put Rodgers, with the RB build behind the QB, forcing a DB into a LB role. Do they know the LB role? And are they physically and mentally willing to do the LB role?
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago

They didn't trade up to get a QB. They traded up for a WR. The WR's were taken, so they took the best player available on their board. At least, that was what was said then and seems to continually be skipped over. I see how that happens though. Did they draft Jordan Love? Yes. Did they trade up to that draft slot? Yes. The details are what people just don't care to think twice about.

I've seen you post this take a few times and I keep trying to see your perspective on it, but they traded up and selected a QB. That was the net result of their actions, so to say "They didn't trade up to get a QB." doesn't mesh with reality. We know they did, because it happened, there's video of it and everything.

Now, if we want to talk about their intentions, we can certainly speculate. They may have been targeting other players, they probably were targeting a group of players, of which Jordan Love was one. I'm sure some in the organization (Gute himself, certain scouts, etc) were hoping to get a specific player. But as Beast pointed out, if Love was not the or a target, they would have backed out of the trade. These day-of trades are rarely official until the pick goes in.

Getting bogged down in intent misses the point though. Trading up for Love, even if he wasn't their first choice, shows us that they thought he was a potential starter, a guy that could eventually replace Aaron Rodgers. If they didn't believe that, they wouldn't have made the pick. GMs don't trade up in the first, or even use a first round pick to take a QB that they think is gonna be a backup for 5 years.
blank
Cheesey
2 years ago
I guess I see the Love pick as the Packers looking to the not so distant future. You need to pick your future QB BEFORE you need him. Give him time to learn, and not be thrown into the fire immediately, which more often then not, ends up destroying his confidence.
There are dozens of QBs that maybe would have been great had they had a chance to catch up to NFL play before they had to lead the team.
Who knows what Rodgers would have been had he not been able to sit behind Favre and learn before being the starter. Maybe he would have bombed.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Aaron Rodgers after the NFC Championship Game in 2020 (2019 season)

"I feel really confident in Brian and the job that he's done, his staff. They did go all-in this year and the pieces that they brought in. I'm confident that he's going to continue to add to this squad."

🤷‍♂️

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

Aaron Rodgers after the NFC Championship Game in 2020 (2019 season)

"I feel really confident in Brian and the job that he's done, his staff. They did go all-in this year and the pieces that they brought in. I'm confident that he's going to continue to add to this squad."

🤷‍♂️

Wow.....so......all those years on the team, he’s praising Brian......what changed to make the big divide? Did Brian not leggo of Aaron’s EGGO?
🤪
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.