Zero2Cool
2 years ago

I think the easiest way to show me you’re a lousy football fan is to scoff at Don Hutson’s career, which many in the Twitterverse did when Chase Stuart tweeted about his greatness the other day after Davante Adams was traded to the Raiders. Stuart pointed out that both men had played 116 regular-season games for Green Bay, and Hutson had 99 TD catches to Adams’ 73 … and Hutson’s career average reception was 16.4 yards to Adams’ 12.1. I understand Hutson played in a far different era, and there wasn’t the same kind of competition and emphasis on the passing game throughout the league as there is today. But the way players should be considered in historical perspective is by comparing them to those in their eras. When Hutson retired in 1945, the NFL was a quarter-century old, and he had three times as many touchdown receptions (99) as any player in NFL history at that point. That record lasted a remarkable 44 years, till Dec. 10, 1989, when Steve Largent caught his 100th for Seattle. Don’t tell me Hutson doesn’t belong in the discussion for the greatest receiver who ever lived. (Before you rush to your keyboard and write or Tweet at me, “You idiot! Jerry Rice was far better!”, I said that Hutson belongs in the discussion. There’s a good argument to be made for Rice, of course.)

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/21/deshaun-watson-browns-davante-adams-raiders-nfl-fmia-peter-king/ 

Peter King wrote:

Don Hutson. In my opinion, greatest Packers player ever.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 years ago

Don Hutson. In my opinion, greatest Packers player ever.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Don Hutson, Ray Nietzscke, Reggie White. Go from there. 👍
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
The way Don dominated the league playing both ways. There's is no one else who compares to what he did. He's always my GOAT.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
For his time, he was the greatest in the NFL.
The entire game has changed so much. You can't compare him to today's players
Anymore then you can compare the 1960 Packers to today's Packers. The rules alone have changed so much. I remember Bart Starr taking punishment from the defense that had it happened today, would have resulted in 20 roughing the passer penalties per game. To do what he did under those circumstances is amazing.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
2 years ago

Regarding Don Hutson, I couldn’t agree more: you have to compare him to others in his era. His best offensive season was 1942. He lead the league in the following categories:
74 Receptions
1,211 yards
17 TDs
(He also lead the league with 33 made and 34 attempted extra points).
Oh, and that was in 11 games… and he was credited as a starter in only 6 of those games. (They didn’t count kickers as starters…)

The next closest NFL player in 1942 receiving categories?
Scooter McLean had 8 TDs (i.e. less than half as many as Hutson)
Scooter McLean had 571 receiving yards (again, less than half Hutson’s total).
Pop Ivey was second in total receptions…with 27. Not a typo. Twenty-seven. Hutson had almost triple the number of receptions as his nearest competitor.
Same league. Same season. Same opposing teams and players. Same number of games.

Oh, and all of his years on offense, Hutson was playing Left End, i.e. lined up at the end of the line of scrimmage and blocked for most of the game.

As a two-way defender, he finished his career with only 30 interceptions. (Lead the league with 6 picks in 1940). I say “only,” because in an 11-year career, he played DEFENSIVE END for his first five years in the league.

And then there’s his one record that I firmly believe is untouchable: 29 points in one quarter: 4 TD receptions and 5 extra points. Twenty-nine. In. One. Quarter.

But the main reason that takes him over the top as the Greatest of All Time (and I don’t think it’s just limited to WR, but that’s a much deeper and way more contentious argument), he changed the way the game was played. He introduced to the NFL many of the routes that receivers still run today. That, along with his unbelievable talent and production, is what makes him the Greatest.

He was a track star and played minor league baseball. He was an offensive and defensive lineman…oh, and the greatest wide receiver of all time. Not that you can’t make very good arguments for Jerry Rice, maybe a few others, but you’re kidding yourself. Rice did not change the game. He was never the most dominant WR in the league in any one season. Not a single one of his nineteen seasons did he lead the league in all three big categories for WR. His longevity and consistency and work ethic and production and etc., etc., should not–cannot–be ignored. Rice belongs in the conversation.

But Hutson was one of a kind. Can’t imagine another player having as big of an impact on the sport itself and how it’s played. More than 75 years after Hutson retired, and every WR who plays in the NFL is still running routes that Hutson introduced to the league. And still chasing at least one of his records.

happyrichard wrote:

I have to say, I find Scooter McLean’s accomplishments that season pretty damn impressive too: he racked up 8 touchdowns and 571 receiving yards on only 19 receptions, for an average of 30.1 yards per reception! He must have been an incredible deep threat, or else his YAC had to have been off the charts. Dude crossed the goal line every other time he caught the ball! MVS could only dream of posting gaudy numbers like that.
UserPostedImage
olds70supreme
2 years ago
Bonus points for the name alone - Scooter McLean 🙂
blank
Cheesey
2 years ago

Bonus points for the name alone - Scooter McLean :)

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

"McLean".... sounds like a low calorie McDonald's sandwich!
🤪😜😁
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago
I think a good sports comparison for Don Hutson would Dr J in basketball. While there were players like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robinson that had an explosive, athletic game, Dr J is the one whose game was vertical and above the rim and he pushed the sport in his direction. His play style allowed for smaller guys to start dominating at the rim and began breaking the monopoly held by big men (Russell, Wilt, Kareem etc). Things like vertical and hang time became a norm when judging players. In a similar fashion, Hutson was the first player to lay a blue print on how a player could dominate receiving downfield and there was no going back.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Pugger
2 years ago
My evidence to the jury that Hutson was way before his time is the fact that he held a lot of his NFL records for decades after he retired in 1945. He still had 10 that are still standing!

Fan Shout
beast (2h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (3h) : damn those vikings
beast (3h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (3h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (3h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (3h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (10h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (11h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.