earthquake
a year ago
I think the time to bring in a FA was before the draft. After taking 3 guys in the draft I think they have to roll with who they've got now, barring a couple of season-ending injuries or something like that. I think bringing in someone like Julio Jones or Beckham might make sense mid-to-late season if depth gets thin. But not now.
blank
Cheesey
a year ago

Has had a degenerative ankle condition since 2012. Would be out of the league if not for Aaron.

Stepped ahead of Amari last year. We need veterans who know how to get it done this year. Let's see what he's got left.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes....and yet he still makes plays.
You are probably right. If not for Rodgers, he probably would be out of football. But last year he showed that he could still make plays when called on.
I guess we will see how he is this season. Me, I'm not counting him out
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

I don't understand why so few are expecting much from Cobb. He might not be "great", but when called on he comes through. He made some great plays when needed.
And with Adams gone, he will be called on even more.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Because they are haters of the hating kind of hatred.

I think Randall Cobb contributions come on need to move chain downs. And his leadership, mentorship to the youngsters. Those are big things, but since SportsCenter isn't going to be touting his TD's and Yardage some haters just spit that hate.

BTW, the "hate" stuff is me being facetious.
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
a year ago

I don't understand why so few are expecting much from Cobb. He might not be "great", but when called on he comes through. He made some great plays when needed.
And with Adams gone, he will be called on even more.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Cobb can be schemed open and can probably execute better than most of the young guys. I doubt he can be relied upon to beat anyone off the line or create separation on his own. It is good to have veteran leadership but that needs to be balanced with developing the future.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
nerdmann
a year ago

Cobb can be schemed open and can probably execute better than most of the young guys. I doubt he can be relied upon to beat anyone off the line or create separation on his own. It is good to have veteran leadership but that needs to be balanced with developing the future.

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb 

Watson is gonna go deep, clearing out safeties so Cobb and Lazard can get open underneath, like that last play in the playoffs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
a year ago
As far as Cobb goes, I would count on him to be a solid #3 and miss around 5 games, but to play reasonably well when he's healthy. Since his career-best season in 2014 (when Jordy Nelson missed the year and he was the #1), he's only topped 800 yards twice. He also hasn't played a full 16-game season since 2014, missing 19 games in the last 4 seasons combined. If Cobb can stay healthy all season maybe he can get 700 yards with 5-6 TDs but going into his 10th season I wouldn't count on him to step in and be Devante Adams light.

I also wouldn't be shocked if the Packers don't end up with a single guy who tops 1000 yards, but still have a top 5 offense with Rodgers having another MVP type year.
blank
Cheesey
a year ago

Because they are haters of the hating kind of hatred.

I think Randall Cobb contributions come on need to move chain downs. And his leadership, mentorship to the youngsters. Those are big things, but since SportsCenter isn't going to be touting his TD's and Yardage some haters just spit that hate.

BTW, the "hate" stuff is me being facetious.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I HATE the haters that love to hate! Hating is something that should be hated!
😁😜
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago
Well that did add veteran WR Watkins.

As far as adding another, I think it would help this season, especially in the first half, but overall it would hurt in the long run taking development space away from the youngsters.

And I think that's been a huge part of Gute's philosophy, if there is a guy there that they believe might develop and step up, then clear the room to give them space to just that...

Now, that hurts when you miss (releasing Nelson), but it's helped more guys develop and have somewhere to step up into, giving opportunities to guys to try to step up, like the OL stepped up last year. And CBs stepped up too.

Of course some places it hasn't worked out, TE Graham and Sternberger, but if Gute thinks they have potential, he seems to try to give them a chance to proof it one way or the other.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
a year ago
Im trying to be optimistic here but i just cant. Adding a WR would be a good thing not for the team, but for the QB. Rodgers has never utilized a rookie WR regardless of their status. If they drop a pass, he will ignore them the rest of the game and possibly longer. This whole earning his trust crap is what stops the development of our young WRs. Hell even a vet like Lewis got that treatment during the SF game.
beast
a year ago

Im trying to be optimistic here but i just cant. Adding a WR would be a good thing not for the team, but for the QB. Rodgers has never utilized a rookie WR regardless of their status. If they drop a pass, he will ignore them the rest of the game and possibly longer. This whole earning his trust crap is what stops the development of our young WRs. Hell even a vet like Lewis got that treatment during the SF game.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

That's an extremely unfair to pin on Rodgers, the rookie WRs inability to be a developed WR, especially when you look at the WR depth and rookie WRs he's had to work with...

2008: Nelson, he wasn't ready until like 3.5 years when he truely broke out.

2011: Cobb, they had a deep WR depth keeping Cobb in the bench and Cobb and Rodgers chemistry was great, and Rodgers won NFL MVP!

2014: Adams: had less than 60% catch rate and was #3 behind Nelson and Cobb whom dominated and once again Rodgers won NFL MVP.

2015: Ty Montgomery: I don't this he's developed into a starter with any QB yet.

2018: Moore, MVS, St. Brown... I think you can easily say Moore and St. Brown haven't developed into starters yet... MVS: I can argue that Rodgers should of had better chemistry with MVS, but for whatever reason, they always seemed a bit off the same page, but that was for four years, not just a rookie.

2021: Rodgers: he didn't seem to get on the field much...

Unless your specifically talking about MVS, I just don't see another case where Rodgers was in the position with a rookie WR that was ready to do that much more than they did as a rookie, as either the talented WR depth has held the rookie WR back (like with Cobb and Adams), or the WR just wasn't that good as a rookie (Monty, Moore, Rodgers).

So Rodgers is either 0/0 or 0/1 either way, it's an extremely small sample to make a judgement on how Rodgers is with ready to go rookie WRs, which by the way, most aren't ready to go as rookies like Greg Jennings was.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.