Zero2Cool
10 months ago

There are plenty of unknowns on all three phases of the team.

With organized team activities and minicamp in the rearview , let’s take a look at some of the question marks still surrounding the 2023 Green Bay Packers  as we approach the start of training camp in a month. The Packers must get answers to short- and long-term questions, ranging from depth on their 2023 roster to how they need to approach improving positional groups in the future.

1. Who is the backup quarterback?
  2. Are Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Jayden Reed enough at receiver?
  3. Can David Bakhtiari play a full season?
  4. Who will win the starting right tackle job?
  5. Who will start at defensive end?
  6. Is Lukas Van Ness ready to contribute immediately?
  7. Can the inside linebackers rebound from 2022?
  8. Who is going to start in the slot?
  9. Who is going to start at safety?
  10. Is Anders Carlson the guy at kicker?

Continue Reading @ Justis Mosqueda 

Justis Mosqueda wrote:

I don't think some of these can even be answered until numerous games are played.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 months ago
1That rookie kid. 

2: No, they have to prove they can stay healthy.

3: Probably, but we have backups. 

4: Tom/Nijman, to be determined. 

5: Wyatt

6: He's gonna be the elephant. dude can win with strength, can develop moves as he goes.. 

7: Probably. Quay was a rookie. 

8: Probably Reed. 

9: I heard Savage's issue was something in his personal life. Heard he should be ok. As for the other S, they'll battle it out.

10: He's got the leg, and hit 11 of 12 in OTAs. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
10 months ago
  1. Who is the backup quarterback?  No one currently on the roster
  2. Are Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Jayden Reed enough at receiver?  If they aren't, too bad.  Thats the hand you are dealt.  Probably not
  3. Can David Bakhtiari play a full season?  Yes, but it won't be with the Packers unless they are 3-4 games over .500 before trade deadline
  4. Who will win the starting right tackle job?  Tom, so this will be our weak link
  5. Who will start at defensive end?  Assuming you me OLB   P. Smith and Van Ness
  6. Is Lukas Van Ness ready to contribute immediately?  Yes, he goes to church regularly
  7. Can the inside linebackers rebound from 2022?  Yes, and they will.   Quay is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he will get there
  8. Who is going to start in the slot?  Nobody.   2TE will be featured
  9. Who is going to start at safety?  Ford
  10. Is Anders Carlson the guy at kicker?  Yes

Go Packers!!!!
beast
10 months ago

1) Who is the backup quarterback?2) Are Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Jayden Reed enough at receiver?3) Can David Bakhtiari play a full season?4) Who will win the starting right tackle job?5) Who will start at defensive end?6) Is Lukas Van Ness ready to contribute immediately?7) Can the inside linebackers rebound from 2022?8) Who is going to start in the slot?9) Who is going to start at safety?10) Is Anders Carlson the guy at kicker?

I don't think some of these can even be answered until numerous games are played.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Obviously #3 can't be answered until an injury or full season has been played.

That being said, while there are plenty of unanswered questions, some of these questions are quite weak and feel like they've already been answered.

1) The rookie QB, reportedly already looking like a good system fit. Not a franchise guy, but good system fit.

2) To answer this, one must first defined what "enough" means in this context... "enough" for what?

3) Yes Bakhtiari can, will he, that's a different story. Wait and see. 

4) RT Zach Tom, has it even been a battle? Maybe if Nijman looks better than one of the interior guys, but Tom looks like a sure starter somewhere in my opinion.

5) How is this even being questioned? He literally has the answer in the part where he's asking the question. If Slaton is healthy, he's the NT, and then Clark is the DE with Wyatt as the other DE. Interior DL usually suck as rookies, so I don't know why we would be considering the rookies, and he didn't even attempt to make an argument for them, he just said, they're there too. The only surprise, and he didn't list this as an option, would be Van Ness, whom played a ton of 3 tech DT (or 3-4 DE) in college.

6) Good question, I don't have the answer, but based on what Clark said, the answer sounds like he's, Van Ness will be ready to help and quickly.

7) My only question here is why limit it to the ILBers? I would say can the entire run defense and tackling bounce back to 2021 form?

8) Nixon... who else is going to be? People keep mentioning Stokes, but honestly Stokes absolutely sucked last year when he was healthy... even if Stokes gets fully healthy (which currently he's not), I'm not sure he gets on the field unless injury to someone else.

And Douglass best role is clearly as an outside zone CB. Alexander can play anywhere, but they have attempted to keep him out of the slot since he got injured, because he's a small dude whom absolutely throws his body into tackles and they would prefer he doesn't have to deal with the slot run fits, as they want to keep him healthy as long as possible.

9) Absolutely great question, and I don't think even the coaches know yet.

10) He's the only kicker on the team and some players have suggested he has a canon for leg.

====================

Some questions I think would of been better than some of these

~ Will the OL step up? This goes for starters and backups, Gute bet on them developing and not needing additional help. Is Gute correct, or will he be burned?

~ Will the lack of depth at CB or lack of starter quality at S be the unraveling of the defense?

~ Will Savage finally look good, or will he look like a bust without consistent Amos around?

~ With Clark's PFF grade going down every single year since 2019, will he finally have a bounce back year? And if so, how far back?

~ Do the Packers have a dominant OLB group? Gary and Van Ness seem to have absolutely amazing potential. Preston is Mr. Consistent and Engebare looked like he had great backup potential and could fill in as starter until got banged up and hit a bit of a rookie wall.

~ Are the Packers going to be staying in base package a lot more? Packers went from only having one true 3Tech B-gap guy in DT Keke in 2021 to now having 3 players that can basically only play that role, plus Clark whom can play it and Van Ness whom did it in college and sounded like Clark and Barry suggesting he can do it some this year. Will the Packers be staying in the 3-4 base packages a lot more and less 2-4 sub packages? 

~ 50 questions of Love

~ Will the TEs be able to step up? Including both the vets, and the rookies?

~ How will Dugara be used? Are we going to use him be used like an H-back, which seemed like his best role, but Rodgers didn't seem to like that role.

~ Rodgers didn't love motion, are we going to be seeing a lot of motion come back?

~ Are we going to see the traditional LaFleaur wide zone offense in full force? As supposedly they were running a hybrid with Rodgers.

~ What new snacks will be sold at Lambeau Field?

~ With the new kickoff rules, how does that effect the Packers? Will they still be trying to return as many kicks or just take the 25 yard line? Will they try to kick it out of the end zone and try to kick it high to about the 2 yard line?

~ Will LaFleaur invite a senior defensive guy to give him input, either form close up, or afar? Jim Leonhard is available... hire him to be a senior scheme scout or something.
​​​​
UserPostedImage
beast
10 months ago

3. Can David Bakhtiari play a full season?  Yes, but it won't be with the Packers unless they are 3-4 games over .500 before trade deadline
  4. Who will win the starting right tackle job?  Tom, so this will be our weak link

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Wanna bet?

​​​​​​Unless they're in a contract year (Bakhtiari is not) it's  very rare for starters to get traded at the deadline. Even then, players of Bakhtiari's potential quality aren't traded then. They're traded in the off-season. And Gute wants to make sure Love is protected.

Tom wasn't the weak link last year as a rookie, he'll probably continue to outplay Myers and Runyan.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 months ago

1. Who is the backup quarterback?  No one currently on the roster
  2. Are Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs and Jayden Reed enough at receiver?  If they aren't, too bad.  Thats the hand you are dealt.  Probably not

I took it to mean, they probably wouldn't stay healthy. But we got dudes who can ball. Backups like Roure, Wicks and Dubose. These TEs. And don't overlook DeGuera. He's not on the QB's tantrum list this year.

1. Can David Bakhtiari play a full season?  Yes, but it won't be with the Packers unless they are 3-4 games over .500 before trade deadline

Imo this hinges on Kobe Jones and Rasheed Wallace. Will one (or both?) Show they can get it done? 

1. Who will win the starting right tackle job?  Tom, so this will be our weak link
  2. Who will start at defensive end?  Assuming you me OLB   P. Smith and Van Ness

I'm looking at Van Ness as the elephant. But if Gary gets PUP'd I could see Van Ness filling in for him.

1. Is Lukas Van Ness ready to contribute immediately?  Yes, he goes to church regularly
  2. Can the inside linebackers rebound from 2022?  Yes, and they will.   Quay is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he will get there
  3. Who is going to start in the slot?  Nobody.   2TE will be featured

I think they'll have Reed running Jet motion. I don't like rookies returning punts tho, especiallyif you've already got a good returner. 

1. Who is going to start at safety?  Ford
  2. Is Anders Carlson the guy at kicker?  Yes

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 months ago
Don't forget Bo Melton, Jeff Cotton, Malik Heath. They're all a step above DuWann Winfree.

I like Cox as a pass rusher too. He got UDFA'd because he's a troubled kid, not because he's a scrub. 
beast
10 months ago

Imo this hinges on Kobe Jones and Rasheed Wallace. Will one (or both?) Show they can get it done? 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Sorry, gotta (playfully) ask, are you high?
 Screenshot_20230626-213009~2.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
(PS, I believe that's Rasheed Wallace in his Chiefs outfit, calling out his hometown Philadelphia Eagles)

At first, I was thinking Rasheed Wallace and did he mean Kobe Bryant?

But your talking OTs, so I figured you meant Rasheed Walker, but looked up Kobe Jones (because I felt like I did hear that name before) he's a DE on the Panthers.

So I then thought you mean OT Kadeem Telfort (because the OT and started with a K)...

Then looked at the roster and .... OOOOH... he meant Caleb Jones, which makes more sense.

That being said, replacing an elite player with two no bodies doesn't happen over night, the team would probably want a full year out of the nobodies first.​​​​​​

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (25m) : damn those vikings
beast (47m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (53m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (54m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (55m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (56m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.