beast
3 months ago

Only Buckeyepackfan drafted a QB...he is thinking ahead

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Usually teams only keep two QBs on the 53 man roster, and they have Love and a recently drafted 5th rounder which seemed to have some potential.

And on PS, we got a veteran QB, whom seems smart. And really since the 2010 practice rules changes, limiting coaches off seasons with players, I really haven't noticed 3rd QBs developing half as much as they used to.

I just don't see where a QB fits... though I did have a potential 1st rounder drop to my top 2nd round pick a few times and I was very tempted to pull the trigger. But there are other needs to fill.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 months ago
 pff_mock_results - 2024-01-31T045452.896.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Gute doesn't like trading down and doesn't seem to like going for defensive players in rounds 2 or 3, so this probably isn't realistic but...

1) S Kinchins
Said to be the more athletic and versatile Safety in the draft with great range, though I sorta prefer the Safety form Minnesota, whom might be a tad less athletic, as he seems to have the best eyes and instincts. But I simply.with the highest graded here.

2) DT Taylor
I was debating selecting Taylor with the #32 pick, so getting him here, I'm very excited, though he's another high potential pass rusher and not a run stopper.

2) DT Sweat
True NT size, but hasn't played it, but potential could be a good all around DT. Though he might not be chasing anyone down from behind.

3) S Smith
Very good coverage.

3) G Beebe
Can't find anyone that says a negative thing about him on the inside, on the outside (OT) he might not be athletic enough, but inside, I don't.see an issue.

3) RB Irving
Smaller at 5'9" 196lb, but I think he MIGHT be close enough to 200 that Gute allows it. Irving was used on the passing game a lot and is a shifty RB like Jones.

4) RB Estime
Big RB 5'11" 227lbs , that's surprisingly quick for the size, with good vision... hasn't been used as a receiver and needs to hang onto the ball at times better, but huge potential.

4) C Van Pran
Long term starting Center that has gone up against some of the best college DTs in practice. He's not the more athletic, but he's physical and tough.

6) CB Roberts
Good zone coverage PFF grade, needs to work on man coverage and run stopping.

6) S Oladapo
Great grades from PFF, not sure why he's this low.

6) OT Rosegarten
Great pass blocking ratings, poor run blocking but maybe can develop

7) OT Jones
Needs develops but very good size and potential

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 months ago
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

27. GB Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
41. GB Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
58. GB Brandon Dorlus EDGE Oregon
71. GB Beau Brade S Maryland
88. GB Kris Abrams-Draine CB Missouri
91. GB Blake Corum RB Michigan
167. GB Kenny Logan Jr. S Kansas
UserPostedImage
beast
3 months ago

Man, it sure is nice hearing positive things about the new DC hire. Beats the BS we heard nonstop about the previous hire.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Based on these comments and some press man comments, I'm assuming the Packers are going to be more attacking more to cause OL confusion and get more one on one matchups which hopefully will help the defensive front. But they might need to upgrade the coverage guys some if they're going to be left alone more often in coverage.

pff_mock_results - 2024-02-01T040635.154.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
I don't love how the draft fell, but that's probably is very realistic, and PFF just updated their draft order so who is going where was more unpredictable which again, realistic.

1) DL Murphy
Packers have been going heavy with penetrating DTs lately, and Murphy might just be the best DT in the draft. Also while he's smaller, he's also more physical than what you'd expect. Also uses a technique that no one else uses, to sort of go down to one knee when being doubled team and then explode out of it which maybe more people need to try as it's been successful for Murphy.

2) OL Barton
5 games at Center and then 3 years at LT, people are suggesting he's not big nor athletic enough to stay at OT in the NFL and will have to move to Center (which they said the same thing about Bakhtiari and Tom). Barton struggles against power, so I'm not sure inside is the best for him, as least not as a rookie. But I think he shows extremely strong hands and would be able to play all 5 positions. Though you can argue where his best position might be, but the added flexibility would be nice.

Also, the Packers claim they don't have size minimums, but their results seem to claim otherwise. All of the OL Gute has drafted have been strictly between 6'4" and 6'6". Most of the IOL I'm this draft don't fit that, Barton does.

2) ILB Cooper
Simply put, potential to be a slightly smaller (2" 15lbs smaller) version of LB Quay Walker. With how injuries the ILBers where, might be nice to have two of them.

3) CB Jones
Very talented Slot CB, especially in man coverage and stopping the run, needs works in zone coverage.

3) RG Mahogany
Had a GREAT 2021 year, but an ACL took his 2022, and in 2023, seemed to be knocking off the rust for improving to back where he was, and while he's not quite tall enough for the Packers normal standards, the Packers also have a history of drafting OGs with some inside coaches knowledge (Jenkins and Rhyan) and Packers new defensive coordinator is coming from Boston College as their former head coach.

4) RB Allen
Kind of would like a RB before this, but Allen is a huge physical RB with good quickness.

4) CB Jackson
If the Packers are going to press man, then they need to consider Jackson, though I'm about to turn a lot of people off of him. Jackson is basically a young CB Kevin King, 6'3", long arm, better movement skills than most CBs that tall, and a ton of STs work. Though, has had lots of trouble staying healthy until this last year. But he was built for Press Man, and again, has a lot of ST work.

6) RB McClellan
McClellan is good size and jack of all trades, King of none. Which could be perfect for a backup RB role.

Really wanted to consider Frank Gore Jr., but he's two inches shorter than Aaron Jones and again, I believe the Packers have size minimums.

7) S Oladapo
PFF shows to grade him out a lot better than a 7th rounder in both coverage and against the run, not sure why they have him in the 7th. Especially with very good size.

7) S Logan
Very good coverage score, need to improve against the run.

7) TE Spann-Ford
The last pick came down to me wanting to draft some sort of receiver, which came down to two choices, TCU Jared Wiley whom is sort of an athletic one trick pony, in that he's great at vertical routes, but not blocking. Or Spann-Ford.

Spann-Ford is basically a TE/OL tweener at 6'7" 265lbs, and limited in a number of ways. As he's not explosive at all, and more of a zone blockers than a people mover, but he's a versatile piece and the Packers struggled not having a blocking TE at times last year, so here we can at least try to develop one. Spann-Ford is very good at finding holes in zone coverage and stopping in them to make a good target. But he's not Mercedes Lewis as a blocker either, at least not yet. But versatile puzzle piece.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 months ago
Look at those two RB's I snagged lol
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
3 months ago
Liking how this draft fell.
Traded down to 30 to pick up a couple of more picks.

Got to give the new DC players to work with.

Familiar names on the offensive side.

30 Jordan Morgan OT | Arizona (TRADE)
41 Packers Kamren Kinchens S | Miami
58 Packers Tyler Nubin S | Minnesota
64 Packers Blake Corum RB | Michigan (TRADE)
88 Packers Caelen Carson CB | Wake Forest
98 Packers Jonah Elliss EDGE | Utah (TRADE)
126 Packers Tommy Eichenberg LB | Ohio State
167 Packers Keith Randolph Jr. DL | Illinois
175 Packers Jaheim Bell TE | Florida State (TRADE)
203 Packers Luke McCaffrey WR | Rice
215 Packers Frank Gore Jr. RB | Southern Miss
242 Packers Edefuan Ulofoshio LB | Washington
250 Packers Spencer Sanders QB | Mississippi

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
3 months ago
 pff_mock_results - 2024-02-08T165423.175.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
3 months ago
No Trades, Building for the new 4-3 Defense

25 Jer'Zhan Newton DL | Illinois
41 Tyler Nubin S | Minnesota
58 Leonard Taylor DL | Miami (FL)
88 Jaden Hicks S | Washington State
91 Jeremiah Trotter Jr. LB | Clemson
126 Blake Fisher OT | Notre Dame
167 Zion Tupuola-Fetu iEDGE | Washington
203 Frank Gore Jr .RB | Southern Miss
215 Ja'Quan Sheppard CB | Maryland
242 Jared Penning OT | Northern Iowa
250 Miyan Williams RB | Ohio State

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
2 months ago
 pff_mock_results - 2024-02-14T095236.547.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
I failed to grab a LB which is probably needed with the switch to the 4-3, plus traditional LBers are helpful on STs.

1.25 CB McKinstry
I think one of the top 5 CBs will drop to the Packers and if we're running more pure man coverage, then they should consider them. If McKinstry drops it's probably because they believe his upside potential isn't as high as the others but his floor is much higher and should be ready to go right away and be able to run any scheme.

2.41 OL Barton
I'm much higher in Barton than PFF is, so I'm not sure he drops like this. Barton has one year at Center and three years at LT. Some consider him too small an unathletic to stay at OT in the NFL, but they said the same thing about Bakhtiari and Tom. While I agree Barton might not be as athletic as those two, he has grib vices for hands and NFL is allowing holding more and more, as long as you don't make it obvious. Barton doesn't nessarily have the preferred power for IOL, but I think he can build that up. Barton should be able to play all 5 OL positions.

Trade Up

2.53 S Nubin
I made a bet that one of the top two Safeties would drop here. And the first one was selected the pick before this. Nubin is the most instinctive and makes the least errors of all the Safeties in the draft. Some others have more upside in terms of range, but Nubin is the most mentally prepared.

3.88 DL Taylor
I don't think Taylor drops this far. But they took a lot of the guys I would normally grab here already. Taylor is like a lot of the Packers recent DL selections (which might not be a good thing) his run defense isn't the best, but his slipperiness in penetration is great. He's very explosive and wins with power pass rush moves, but he needs to work his better for finesse pass rush moves to work. And someone needs to force him to keep his pads low when run defending... of course, he did much better in 2022, so it's possible, but 2023 was a step back in that regard.

Trade back, there were OGs of I wanted those but already selected Barton and was looking for a 210+lb RB (Gute hasn't yet drafted a RB under 210 lbs).

4.108 RB Estime
He's a bigger back at 6' 225lbs, but you wouldn't know it by his quickness and ability to read the blocks. While he also can get very physical. There is a heck of a lot to like about Estime running game. He hasn't been asked to do much as a receiver. He does occasionally have fumbling issues.

4.126 RB Lloyd
He's a MarShawn from a Los Angeles school, so you know the Packers aren't taking him 😋. Lloyd at 5'9" 215lbs is extremely explosive in short bursts and can be used as a weapon as a receiver or anytime when the ball is in his hands. Lloyd might not have the long speed though. Lloyd drops only because at times he's struggled to stay healthy and hang onto the football, but otherwise he might be taken much higher than this.

5.140 CB McGlothern
Not sure why McGlothern is ranked so low, he's dealt with some injuries this last year, and he's average in run defense, which probably means he'll be sub average in the NFL, but that's kind of too be expected considering he's not 190lbs, but he's tall, lengthy and had absolutely great coverage this last year in the SEC. Packers might take him off their board simply for being too light for them, but kid can really cover.

6.203 Edge Davis
Packers like larger power edge rushers, but they could use a change up too. Davis is a 260lb late blooming speed rusher. He lacks the elite quickness, but he gets up to speed pretty fast for his size, and he has more power than most college speed rushers. Might never be a starter, but could be good in a rotation.

6.216 SS Oladapo
Swiss Army Knife, 6'2" 220lbs whom is a long term starter and has been used in just about every single different way a Safety can be used. He's been very good against the run and he's got speed to carry a WR deep. Where Oladapo really struggles is quick changes of directions, such as trying to cover a super quick slot WR. He's got long legs and it's clunky watching him adjust his feet to change directions/momentum. But he can cover larger targets pretty well and should be very good against the average TE, and has the speed to cover linear WR.

7.243 OT Rosengarten
Some think two year starting RT Rosengarten is going in the first 3 rounds, so I'm doubting he falls this far, but there are a lot of developmental OTs. Rosengarten is a one trick pony, but that one trick is Athletic Pass Protection, so not a trick it's THE trick. Though as seen against Michigan, he can also get over powered which is something he'll seriously need to work on, but once he learns to handle power better, he could be a great pass blocker in the NFL.

7.251 TE Wiley
6'6", 250lbs, don't even for a second of thinking of asking him to block... he's a one trick pony and that trick is vertical receiving. He's a very poor man's TE Musgrave and I would be drafting Wiley mainly to be Musgrave's backup, so that they have limited scheme changes should Musgrave get injured (as he has most years, including college).and hopefully he can play on STs enough to stick around.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 months ago
 pff_mock_results - 2024-02-15T005853.941.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Trade down, Cardinals (27, 105) and Bills (28, 99) battle to trade up, I got with the Cardinals as Bills have some similar needs as us.

1.27 LT Morgan
One of the most athletic LTs in this draft, normally wouldn't drop this far, but this draft is supposedly loaded up top with OL. Need to protect the backfield.

2.41 S Nubin
Nubin is the most instinctive and makes the least errors of all the Safeties in the draft. Some others have more upside in terms of range, but Nubin is the most mentally prepared.

2.57 NT Sweat
The breakout star this last year, some rumors about previous immaturity, and some are concerned about his weight (6'4", 360lb? Or 380lb?) which needs to be watched, but he's an absolute monster when in peak form. Boom or bust depending on how hungry to be great, vs hungry to be immature and focus enough on football?

3.88 CB Jones
Gute wants larger player, Jones is about as large of a slot player as you're going to get, and he was great in man coverage last year, and he also plays outside CB, 6' but only about 190lbs.

3.91 RG Mahogany
Mahogany is a bit shorter than Gute prefers, but Gute has a history of bringing in OL from colleges where they recently got coaches from (though previously always offensive coaches). Mahogany was dominant in 2021, injury took his 2022, 2023 he didn't bounce all the way back but was pretty good. Already has been playing RG.

4.105 RB Estime
He's a bigger back at 6' 225lbs, but you wouldn't know it by his quickness and ability to read the blocks. While he also can get very physical. There is a heck of a lot to like about Estime running game. He hasn't been asked to do much as a receiver. He does occasionally have fumbling issues.

4.126 DT Boyd
Dominated smaller schools, they weren't sure it'd translate to larger schools and then he dominated everyone at the Senior Bowl. 6'2" 320lbs, power and quickness.

5.177 TE/WR/RB Bell
Bell is unique as he's an explosive offensive weapon, but he also doesn't nessarily have a clearly defined single role. He's 6'2" 245lbs physical receiver, whom can move like a RB and sometimes be used as a RB. Also was used as a punt returner after a couple of injuries as they trusted his hands. Everyone seems to want to turn him into an H-back or FB, but those roles demands blocking, which is not his strength, as he's only average there. Coaches will have to be creative to find the right role for him, but LaFleur wants versatility, Bell gives you WR/RB versatility in a 245 lb body.

6.203 OT Rosengarten
A few think two year starting RT Rosengarten is going in the first 3 rounds, so I'm doubting he falls this far, but there are a lot of developmental OTs. Rosengarten is a one trick pony, but that one trick is Athletic Pass Protection, so not a trick it's THE trick. Though as seen against Michigan, he can also get over powered which is something he'll seriously need to work on, but once he learns to handle power better, he could be a great pass blocker in the NFL.

6.216 LB Gant
Gant was at Ohio State with our new Defensive Coordinator for one year. Once it became clear Gant wasn't going to get a chance to start at Ohio State, he transferred and had two dominating years at Toledo. But Gant with his coverage and ST ability might have a better professional career than those guys he couldn't beat out at Ohio State.

6.218 SS Oladapo
Swiss Army Knife, 6'2" 220lbs whom is a long term starter and has been used in just about every single different way a Safety can be used. He's been very good against the run and he's got speed to carry a WR deep. Where Oladapo really struggles is quick changes of directions, such as trying to cover a super quick slot WR. He's got long legs and it's clunky watching him adjust his feet to change directions/momentum. But he can cover larger targets pretty well and should be very good against the average TE, and has the speed to cover linear WR.

7.243 OL Bortolini
He's played OT, OG and C, might be best at OG. He wasn't supposed to play Center, but injuries happened and he moved over. While his run blocking struggled at Center, his pass blocking.was great.

7.251 TE Wiley
6'6", 250lbs, don't even for a second of thinking of asking him to block... he's a one trick pony and that trick is vertical receiving. He's a very poor man's TE Musgrave and I would be drafting Wiley mainly to be Musgrave's backup, so that they have limited scheme changes should Musgrave get injured (as he has most years, including college).and hopefully he can play on STs enough to stick around.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.