dfosterf
15 years ago

NO ONE is going to get everything right. NOT ONE GM in the NFL does.
Those that seem to think Ted Thompson is "Matt Millen" are WAY off base. I also don't think Ted Thompson has reached the level of Ron Wolf yet, either.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I'd hazard to say that Ron Wolf wasn't Ron Wolf, if you get my drift...

"Cheesey" wrote:

I understand what Cheesey is saying, but that one there is Gold, Mass...pure Gold

+1
zombieslayer
15 years ago

And Mike McCarthy's conservative play calling cost us alot too. You have to have that "killer instinct" to finish off your opponent. And Mike McCarthy didn't have that last year. THAT needs to change.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more, Cheesey.

I put more of the 6-10 to blame on Mike McCarthy than TT. His conservative play calling was driving me nuts. I freaking HATE settling for FGs. WTF! I want TDs. You got a near perfect Red Zone QB in AR, then throw the ball, don't run it, especially when your RB isn't even averaging 4 yards per carry.

Like I've said a hundred times now, how many games did we lose by 4 points or less?

Let's see...

(in order of schedule)

27-27 Atlanta
19-16 Tennessee in OT
28-27 Minnesota
35-31 Carolina
24-21 Houston
20-16 Jacksonville
20-17 Bears
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
IronMan
15 years ago
As I have stated before, I couldn't care less who Ted goes after in free agency. I don't care if he trades down, who he trades, or how many draft picks he ends up with.

All I care about is wins. And so far after 4 years, the Packers have 1 winning season. IF, and I think it is a big IF, we have another losing season, I think changes should be made. And for those that disagree, I do not understand your logic. Just how many losing seasons are we supposed to put up with?

And another thing; of course Ted Thompson isn't always wrong. I agreed with him trading Favre, and I basically agree with the way he goes about things, (building through the draft, not over spending in free agency, ect..), because this method has been proven. (see Steelers and Patriots.)

But you still need to win games. What good is it to draft several starters if we are not winning?

And to those of you who question my fanhood, I will have you know that I will be laughing at you all the way to Lambeau this season. Whether we are 10-0, or 0-10, I will be there, cheering my ass off.
Pack93z
15 years ago

If you prefer duty or obligation for your moderator title, my apologies to your feelings. I am raising three blonde girls and believe me it's a job and there is no monetary compensation. :icon_smile:

As for the Tators, I will try to be more understanding to their fragile feelings as they defame our general manager.

"DakotaT" wrote:

LOL.. no hurt feeling here. actually I spit my coffee onto the screen.. first thought.. Zero.. that is a hell of a lot of back pay.. lol. No worries here.. pretty thick skin.. especially the left leg.. that thing is freaking bullet proof.. literally..

Tators... damn now I am hungry... 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
15 years ago

And Mike McCarthy's conservative play calling cost us alot too. You have to have that "killer instinct" to finish off your opponent. And Mike McCarthy didn't have that last year. THAT needs to change.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more, Cheesey.

I put more of the 6-10 to blame on Mike McCarthy than Ted Thompson. His conservative play calling was driving me nuts. I freaking HATE settling for FGs. WTF! I want TDs. You got a near perfect Red Zone QB in Aaron Rodgers, then throw the ball, don't run it, especially when your RB isn't even averaging 4 yards per carry.

Like I've said a hundred times now, how many games did we lose by 4 points or less?

Let's see...

(in order of schedule)

27-27 Atlanta
19-16 Tennessee in OT
28-27 Minnesota
35-31 Carolina
24-21 Houston
20-16 Jacksonville
20-17 Bears

"Cheesey" wrote:

+1 Dead on balls accurate post. I was frustrated too many times as well. Part of me thinks it was McCarthy trying to protect the confidence of his QB a little bit. It needs to stop though. I don't want to see any of that crap this year.

Don't get me wrong, McCarthy had his brilliant moments as well. I think the main area we need more aggressiveness and consistency is COACHING (this probably goes for the entire staff, what with those rumors of the D coaching staff being split last year.. which is a travesty). I'm hopeful that this was addressed in the offseason.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago

As I have stated before, I couldn't care less who Ted goes after in free agency. I don't care if he trades down, who he trades, or how many draft picks he ends up with.

All I care about is wins. And so far after 4 years, the Packers have 1 winning season. IF, and I think it is a big IF, we have another losing season, I think changes should be made. And for those that disagree, I do no understand your logic. Just how many losing seasons are we supposed to put up with?

And another thing; of course Ted Thompson isn't always wrong. I agreed with him trading Favre, and I basically agree with the way he goes about things, (building through the draft, not over spending in free agency, ect..), because this method has been proven. (see Steelers and Patriots.)

But you still need to win games. What good is it to draft several starters if we are not winning?

And to those of you who question my fanhood, I will have you know that I will be laughing at you all the way to Lambeau this season. Whether we are 10-0, or 0-10, I will be there, cheering my ass off.

"IronMan" wrote:

The only thing I disagree with you about is the wins. During the offseason, I could care less how many wins we've had in seasons past. It's all about enjoyment and hope for the season(s) to come, for me. ( Now in the middle of the season, I would agree, it's all about the wins NOW.) It's why I was becoming despondent during 1 and done playoff appearances during the Sherman years, and why I'm more optimistic now after a 6-10 season. It's not all about the wins for me.

And nobody who spends this much time on a Packers message board isn't a good fan dude. :lol:
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Whether we are 10-0, or 0-10, I will be there, cheering my ass off.

"IronMan" wrote:

That's what I'M talking about! Hells yes!

pack93z, what you talking about back pay man? I'm so confused.... and is it safe to come back into this thread yet? I feel like a little boy kept up in his room while mommy and daddy are fighting outside in the kitchen. 🙂
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

+1 Dead on balls accurate post. I was frustrated too many times as well. Part of me thinks it was McCarthy trying to protect the confidence of his QB a little bit. It needs to stop though. I don't want to see any of that crap this year.

Don't get me wrong, McCarthy had his brilliant moments as well. I think the main area we need more aggressiveness and consistency is COACHING (this probably goes for the entire staff, what with those rumors of the D coaching staff being split last year.. which is a travesty). I'm hopeful that this was addressed in the offseason.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. It got me mad because Aaron Rodgers doesn't NEED confidence building. He's already got confidence. Aaron Rodgers was NOT the problem in '08.

I do think Mike McCarthy had brilliant moments, in '07. He was awesome. It's funny, those of you who were in the chat at the site that should not be named in '07 probably remember me predicting everything Mike McCarthy was going to do and pretty much being spot on with everything.

I loved his playcalling in '07. It was exactly what I would have done. He hit his opponents where they were weak. If they couldn't stop the run, he ran the ball down their throats. If they couldn't stop the pass, he threw, threw, and threw again. Then topped that off with more throws.

I don't believe in balance. I believe in doing what works and hammering away at what works until they figure out how to stop it. Often, they can't because they don't have the scheme or the personnel to stop it.

I remember one of the older people on the board saying that in the 60s, one of our OTs would tell the DL opponent that we were going to do a Packer Sweep and there wasn't a **** thing they could do to stop it. I like that attitude.

Then something happened. In '08, he became touchy feelie and soft. You may be right. He might be afraid of AR's confidence, where if that's the case, he's wrong, very wrong. AR's confidence is fine. He'd be a lot MORE confident if he were throwing TDs instead of settling for FGs, that's fo shizzle.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
15 years ago
If I had to bet, I would say having the Packers fanbase explode if Rodgers struggled, after the Favre fiasco, had something to do with it too. It'll be interesting to see how this year plays out now that that ordeal is behind us.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

pack93z, what you talking about back pay man? I'm so confused.... and is it safe to come back into this thread yet? I feel like a little boy kept up in his room while mommy and daddy are fighting outside in the kitchen. :)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

LOL.. long story.. being a staffer on the site was called a job... a running play on a post, all in humor.. no worries not looking for back pay dude. ;)

It was always safe to step into the thread.. nothing really to it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"