Zero2Cool
15 years ago

pack93z, what you talking about back pay man? I'm so confused.... and is it safe to come back into this thread yet? I feel like a little boy kept up in his room while mommy and daddy are fighting outside in the kitchen. :)

"pack93z" wrote:

LOL.. long story.. being a staffer on the site was called a job... a running play on a post, all in humor.. no worries not looking for back pay dude. ;)

It was always safe to step into the thread.. nothing really to it.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

/me writes VOID on that check and discards it ...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
Damn it.. :xcensoredx:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhazer
15 years ago

That's fine and I apologize for my cry baby comment, but here's a suggestion: create a subforum for Ted bashing so every thread in here doesn't get hijacked into the same boring argument. Then you mods can do your job and move these threads, and those of us who are fed up with the Ted bashing can easily ignore the topic.

"pack93z" wrote:

LOL.. Job.. I receive no compensation for anything related to this site or any other. Pure donation of time..

Apparently it really is that hard to accept that DH is a hardcore anti Ted [i]believer and the majority of the forum is able to see both the good things Ted has accomplished here and some of the shortcomings of this team and try to talk sensibly to them.

I fail to understand both the hardcore Ted haters and those that take offense to the slightest bit of criticism towards the man.. he is man isn't he.

But I will agree that overall the entire freaking theme of debating the job Ted has done becomes tiresome and repugnant.

"DakotaT" wrote:

weeeeeeeeee thanks for the compliment Z lol. And for everyones info i was a Ted Thompson hater before last year, i don't believe in his ways and thats all i have to say about that. But i do want to make a comment to i think it was Ironman, I loved your post about cheering for them 10-0 or 0-10 i'm the same way and i put up with alot of crap when i live right in the middle of Steeler nation. But i have to disagree with you and that the Steelers and Pats did not build there teams thru the draft they have a very good mixture of draft and free agents. This crap of signing 1 or 2 backup players during the off season is BS plain and simple. But i'm glad to see people starting to say this is the deciding season and they are sick of this damn rebuilding crap that he throws out there. If we end up under 500 again this year someone has to go Mike McCarthy or Ted Thompson or Both. I saw some posts saying that if Mike McCarthy or Ted Thompson get fired they would find a new job before we hired their replacement. I totally disagree why would someone rush to hire a HC that has 1 winning season? As Forrest Gump would say " And thats all i have to say about that"
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
doddpower
15 years ago
So DH, does another winning season this year change anyones opinion, especially in terms of someone hiring them if they did get fired?
warhawk
15 years ago

"Sherman got fired for coaching a 4-12 team, comprised of his players less Wahle, Rivera, and Darlene. The reason those three had to go was because Sherman himself as GM/head coach put the team in cap hell. Thusly, when the board of directors hired Ted Thompson and stripped Sherman of his GM duties (which quite frankly, he failed miserably at) they instructed Ted Thompson to get control of the cap, and rebuild, much to the dismay of many spoiled Packer fans."

:icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

""1 receiver goes down first week of season"
Most all other WR's & TE's were injured for parts of the year.

#1,2,3,4 & 5 RB's all get hurt.
Ted Thompson's replacement o-lineman are all gone within 2 seasons and never did perform to a working level.

Mike Sherman got fired because it was time for a change.

Not to mention the fact that he was almost forced to use his 1st 2 draft picks on Db's, because 1 M. MacKenzie was imitating T.O. before T.O!!!!

The mid-90's experiment of GM/HC failed miserably throughout the NFL.

Go ask M. Holmgren about that.

What I could never understand was the fact that Ted Thompson gave MS a 2 year extension on his contract and then turned around and fired him.

That just cost The Packers more money.

Ted Thompson seemed to have the team heading in the right direction, but the inability to keep guys in Green Bay(losing them in Fa's), along with some questionable player moves has cost him some support.

This is year 5, time to start putting up more wins than losses.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I'll tell you why Ted Thompson fired him. Once he gave Sherman the extension as a goodwill endorsement to show support and heal a few wounds from losing the GM job he discovered MS uncooperative in communicating and working with him to move the team forward. Period. Thru his actions MS basically showed everyone around him he was NOT going to be a team guy when it came to working relationships and I can tell you this for fact that it had way more to do with that than the record.

i also don't know who you are talking about that Ted Thompson was unable to keep? Every guy I can think of that he wanted here he has kept that I can think of and most he signed to exensions prior to having to deal with FA. I am curious about that statement because I can't think of anyone that has just left thru FA ONCE he got command of the CAP dollars. Unless your speaking of '05 and the only way he could have kept anybody on that team was to go to work for the feds since they have become so good at printing money.
"The train is leaving the station."
pack_in_black
15 years ago

But i have to disagree with you and that the Steelers and Pats did not build there teams thru the draft they have a very good mixture of draft and free agents. This crap of signing 1 or 2 backup players during the off season is BS plain and simple.

"dhazer" wrote:

I can't think of one marquee player that the Steelers have signed in the last 5 or so years? I know the Pats love to pick up those FA's, but I can't remember the last blockbuster name involving Pittsburgh.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
vikesrule
15 years ago

I can't think of one marquee player that the Steelers have signed in the last 5 or so years? I know the Pats love to pick up those FA's, but I can't remember the last blockbuster name involving Pittsburgh.

"pack_in_black" wrote:

James Farrior
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

But i have to disagree with you and that the Steelers and Pats did not build there teams thru the draft they have a very good mixture of draft and free agents. This crap of signing 1 or 2 backup players during the off season is BS plain and simple.

"dhazer" wrote:

I see both sides, although I agree with dhazer. I would like for us to grab a starter in FA again. We are not that solid of a team that we can just fill backup positions.

We need two or three starters at least on this team yet. That means in my opinion we have two or three backups playing starter roles. Yuck.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

"pack_in_black" wrote:

"dhazer" wrote:

James Farrior is definitely one, but they really didn't give up much to sign him. He wasn't a marquee FA, but he definitely gave them a huge return on their investment.

I've tried to convince dhazer on two or three other posts that Pitt really builds their team the same way we do. Don't let me explain it. Let's hear it from an actual Steelers fan:

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=2873 \

So far, the Steelers have gone according to their usual script during the free agency period. The Steelers typically seek first to re-sign their own players. Then, once the big spenders have left the pool, the Steelers will usually make a free agent signing or two that cause little splash. The Steelers never sign big name free agents, but the ones that they sign often make a big contribution.

Recent Steelers free agent signings include Justin Hartwig, Keyaron Fox, and Ryan Clark. James Farrior may be the best free agent acquisition currently on the Steelers roster. He was signed for next to nothing when the New York Jets gave up on him. The Steelers then plugged him in, and hes been a critical component of the Steelers D ever since. Hes a defensive captain, and a multi-time Pro Bowl player.

Instead of chasing big name free agents, the Steelers believe in taking care of their own players. The Steelers understand that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. They know what their own players can do. More importantly, they know about the problems that their own players may bring to the table. What effect a player like Albert Haynesworth will have on the Redskins locker room is anybodys guess.

Let me be honest though. I believe, like Zero, we needed another starter or two this year to fit this new 3-4. Hopefully we can sign either Kevin Carter or Vonnie Holiday and get a solid starter with our #9 pick. I hope Ted Thompson knows what he's doing. Maybe our players do fit well like he says. I sure hope so.
The Pack Will Be Back.
dd80forever
15 years ago

"pack_in_black" wrote:

"dhazer" wrote:

They don't have to sign anyone. They let the Browns and Bengals self implode and pick up 4 easy wins a year while getting thier oft-injured, highly overrated QB and RB time to heal.
blank