DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
What did the Sherman Cap Hell years get us? Really, we had a first ballot hall of fame quarterback in his prime, a cohesive offensive line with pro bowlers, and a running back who for a five year stretch led the league in all purpose yards. Where's the hardware for the trophy case. BTW, we also played in a patetically weak division for much of that time.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago

With all the jabs at Ted for not drafting better, just take a look back. In the 30+ years I have been following the Packers, they have 1 HOF now and 1 soon to be on the way. Reggie and Brett are the only ones, and neither was drafted by the Pack.

Ted could use FA a little more. He has retained players. Jennings will be a big step in showing that when he gets his contract along with Collins in the next year or so.

I do not see a FA recently, that would be anything like Reggie for the team, Reggie got players to come and play here, and that is one thing that is missing. But it was a different time also, FA was new, and with Reggie recruiting we were able to land players. That really doesn't happen any more. Players go with the money 95% of the time.

2005 was bad year, Ted cleaned cap space in the Oline, but nobody expected to lose #1WR and #1-5 RB. People want to look at the record overall. Well I prefer to look at it in steps. 4-12 cleaning cap and with more offensive injuries than I think I have ever seen the team have. 8-8, not a great season, but the team showed it ability late, and looked promising for the future. 13-3, which was one of the most amazing seasons I have ever seen for GB. Things just fell into place with a NFC Championship appearance. And then 6-10 with a defense that was decimated with injuries, and getting none of the breaks they got the year before.

Those last two years, I don't think either team was what the record showed, the 13-3, was something special, but to me, that was a 10-11 win team, that had the ball roll the right way, while last year they were 9-10 win team that had the ball roll the wrong way. This year will go a long way in showing what Ted really has built. I see a bright future for the team, have added what appears to be a couple nice draft picks.

Big question and key in my mind is how the Oline plays, If they can do a better job of opening holes for Grant or Jackson I would expect the team to be right in the hunt come playoffs.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Good post + 1

Although I would like to add that IMO 2 key players in the defense were out for the season which affected the D greatly ie jenkins and barnett (which you mentioned). I also feel the poor D play calling played a large roll in our D decline (we just were not able to get a decent pass rush nor able to stop the run) - IMO we were saved by a top-notch secondary this past season.

And like you said if we can get a decent Oline going which would allow a better running game; and I would like arod to have more time to throw and not get sacked so much. That would be great.

I know Mike McCarthy mentioned this next season he was going to have main guys at their respective spots and not play musical chairs.

People (including myself) talk about our Big D changes this offseason; well we could have a nicely improved Oline and running game too. We have some nice competition for spots in the Oline with the addition of 2 nice draft picks and then a nice hard hitting fullback; should be interesting what we could do.
dhazer
15 years ago
Ok Dfoster whats with this dead money claim, did it effect how we went into free agency? Hell no how much space did we have under the cap to start with so i think thats a lame ass excuse.

I have seen someone say we were on the decline and had to rebuild, but yet they agree we are on the same standards as the Steelers and Pats. Well hate to let you know that those teams don't lose very often and they just keep reloading their teams not rebuild them.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

Ok Dfoster whats with this dead money claim, did it effect how we went into free agency? Hell no how much space did we have under the cap to start with so i think thats a lame ass excuse.

I have seen someone say we were on the decline and had to rebuild, but yet they agree we are on the same standards as the Steelers and Pats. Well hate to let you know that those teams don't lose very often and they just keep reloading their teams not rebuild them.

"dhazer" wrote:

Steelers are in cap trouble. Go to PFT, the reference is posted.

We have a bunch of football players that we just might want to keep.

The NFL, the union, and probably large market vs, small market teams are about to enter into one big fat fight.

Instead of arguing with me, go take a look at who has to get paid in the very near future. While you are doing that, look at the market rate for some of those positions.

Of course if we take some of the silly logic floating around in these parts, we could just let them go...after all, they are part of the 6-10 equation.

Example:

Hey Greg Jennings-- You were 6-10 last year, maybe we ought to cut your ass.
Pack93z
15 years ago

With all the jabs at Ted for not drafting better, just take a look back. In the 30+ years I have been following the Packers, they have 1 HOF now and 1 soon to be on the way. Reggie and Brett are the only ones, and neither was drafted by the Pack.

Missed one.. Lofton. Drafted by the Packers. 🙂
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Missed one.. Lofton. Drafted by the Packers. :)

Farvefegnugen: Forgot he got in.. Dumb da dum dum. Still 1 drafted HOFer in 30+ years, kind of shows how rare it is to draft one. Sterling would have been another if he was able to play longer. Still those who comment on Teds draft picks should look back and see that Wolf did not draft 1 HOF player.

I think Ted has used a very sound strategy building the team, and his plans will start to be realized this year and the next few. Still wish he would be a little more active in FA, but overall he has done pretty good.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
15 years ago
I was on the internet this am-- here some of the time---I am what you call sick and tired (as in literally, sick-and-tired).

I went to Wiki, looked at Ted's page, followed the links, and started looking at some of the FA acquisitions we TRIED to make but failed...

Scared the crap out of me.

We dodged some bullets.

Could have been bad things, man.

There is some serious luck involved with the FA game, just like the draft.

The difference being, imo, get one or two FA decisions wrong at current prices...

dead team walking.
dd80forever
15 years ago

"dfosterf" wrote:

Yes, and they just won a Super Bowl.

So I guess the argument is laid to rest now.

We don't build like the Steelers do, and in return we don't have the success they do

2+2=4
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

Yes, and they just won a Super Bowl.

So I guess the argument is laid to rest now.

We don't build like the Steelers do, and in return we don't have the success they do

2+2=4

"dfosterf" wrote:

There is a different dynamic at play between my discussion with dhazer and many other members. He is fully aware of it, as are many here. We both live in Pennsylvania. Dhazer lives very near Pittsburgh, and endures their fans crap. I live in Harrisburg and endure their crap as well. He brings much of the crap he hears/feels to this site, as do I. We have also developed a friendship, and hence discuss things a bit differently than we might were we not friends and at the same time enduring this shared crap.. The whole Steeler vs. Packer philosophy of building is of course open to discussion, but I'm not vested in it as emotionally as he is, imo. I think he endures more shit in the local bars, for example. I hope this clarifies my position on this whole Steeler vs. Packer thing for you.

UserPostedImage

:thumbleft:
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

from the article

Thompson's philosophy, and it's followed by other salary-cap savvy teams like the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers

"dhazer" wrote:

1st thing that made me laugh was some Wisconsin writer comparing the Packers with the likes of the Pats and Steelers. Steelers have 2 Super Bowls and the Pats have 3 and we have 0 and have 2 out of 4 losing seasons. Get real idiot lol

"longtimefan" wrote:

Instead of blasting the author for what you deem to be an idiot article, why not support your theroy with facts?

But the principle of the way they draft, free agents and re-signing are similar that is what the author was saying..

not that the teams have the same success.. ::roll:

"dhazer" wrote:

you know your always telling people to find proof to back their ideas why dont you start doing that LTF? The Pats get big name players, we don't. My proof is the likes Harrison, Seau, Thomas and they make trades like Moss, and Welker and they also do alot of trading up.

Really, seemed like they traded back about 6 times this past year.
UserPostedImage