Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The reason I posted this is I was shocked that FRAN FRICKIN TARKENTON was so brutal and held no punches.

I did not look at this as another so so, hmm hmm... comment from another reporter.

This is Fran Tarkenton. Arguably the Face Of The Franchise in Vike Land.

Personally I do not like it. Some things should be left un-said, or at least watered down if you are that much a face of an era in the game.

"I hope he fails" That is just not right.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Is Fran trying to protect himself. After all he is still the last Franchise QB the Vikings have had. LOL

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Even if Brett signed with the Vikings he would not in any shape or form be considered a Franchise QB for them. That'd be a one and done deal.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Probably so.
I don't see him playing past this coming season.

But who knows???
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The reason I posted this is I was shocked that FRAN FRICKIN TARKENTON was so brutal and held no punches.

I did not look at this as another so so, hmm hmm... comment from another reporter.

This is Fran Tarkenton. Arguably the Face Of The Franchise in Vike Land.

Personally I do not like it. Some things should be left un-said, or at least watered down if you are that much a face of an era in the game.

"I hope he fails" That is just not right.

"pack93z" wrote:

I have no problem with posting it.... I think also Fran went a little overboard... but it is interesting no doubt.

Can you imagine if Favre took them to the Super Bowl and won it.. something Franny boy couldn't get done..

Personally as you said, somethings are better left unsaid...

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I'm glad it was said. Extremely glad. It's called tough love and Fran is right. The only thing I disagree with would be him saying "I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.. That's kind of betraying the team he used to play for. No matter who's on your old team, why want them to fail? If Brett is their QB and fails, that surely means the Vikings flounder, again.

All in all, Fran said some things that are spot on. Brett needs to be slapped back to reality a bit. Make a decision, STICK with it. I was once told that a sign of maturity is not shown by making a decision, but rather by following through with that decision.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
yikes...when droopy butt speaks...get the truck outta the way!!
Formo
14 years ago
Wow. That's really bold.

And to be honest, if that's how he felt, then I'm glad he said it. I don't want any PC, watered down BS coming from Fran the Man. I don't completely agree, but I can understand his point.

As far as that poll goes.. I'm really surprised to see that the 49% of people polled would be less likely to give support for a stadium if Favre is signed. That's absurd! My green friends, THOSE are fair-weather fans. I'm one of the few Minnesotans that doesn't care either way (but will be in line to get his purple #4 jersey if he does sign.. =D)
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
vikesrule
14 years ago

....(but will be in line to get his purple #4 jersey if he does sign..

"Formo" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

....(but will be in line to get his purple #4 jersey if he does sign..

"vikesrule" wrote:

UserPostedImage

"Formo" wrote:

lol

If you like, I could pick you one up as well. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
vikesrule
14 years ago

lol

If you like, I could pick you one up as well. =)

"Formo" wrote:

I'd rather have my nuts nailed to a tree stump and be pushed over backwards, than wear anything "Favre" :thumbleft:
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

lol

If you like, I could pick you one up as well. =)

"vikesrule" wrote:

I'd rather have my nuts nailed to a tree stump and be pushed over backwards, than wear anything "Favre" :thumbleft:

"Formo" wrote:

Aren't you in your 60's or something? Point being, you don't have nuts anymore. You have raisins.

... get it, purple ... raisins .. oh nm you guys suck!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

As the Vikings wait to see if quarterback Brett Favre will end his retirement and play for them this coming season, the greatest quarterback in franchise history lashed out at Favres handling of the situation.

Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, appearing on 790 The Zone in Atlanta, said its all about Favre when discussing the subject and also had some interesting comments about NFL owners in general. Tarkenton, a resident of the Atlanta area, didnt need any encouragement to go after Favre and was especially critical of how the future Hall of Fame QB has treated the Packers after playing 16 seasons in Green Bay.

I think its despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good, said Tarkenton, who played for the Vikings from 1961-66 and again from 1972-78. Heres an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasnt about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favres of the world so much, they think its about them. He goes to New York and bombs. Hes 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year [playing for] the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers? I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail.

Tarkenton might have been a little strong in his assessment of Favres play with the New York Jets last season. The Jets, who acquired Favres rights from the Packers during training camp, were 8-3 at one point but finished by losing four of their last five games and missed the playoffs. Favre retired for a second time after the season in part because of a partially torn biceps in his throwing arm that continues to bother him.

Its interesting that Tarkenton feels so strongly about how Favre dealt with the Packers because when the Vikings traded Tarkenton to the New York Giants after the 1966 season he wasnt on exactly good terms with the franchise. Clearly he sees this as a completely different situation.

He told the Packers [after 2008 that], Im retiring, Tarkenton said. Theyve got to move on. Theyve got to go through their offseason plan, their workouts, they go with the other quarterback [Aaron Rodgers], who is a good player, and then [Favre] comes back and says, I think I want to play. You build your team in the offseason. Everybody knows that. Its about team. Its not about Brett Favre. So he goes and runs up to the Jets, doesnt even dress in the locker room with the players. Has a separate facility. Playing quarterback is about the relationships you have with your coaches, with your players, with your trainers, with your managers. How can you do that if you show up on gameday and you havent put the time in. And now hes trying to do it again in Minnesota. And if Minnesota bites, God bless them.

Asked what more the Packers could have done last year, Tarkenton said: They did everything, but you get into a position, and I understand hes been glorified so much. Hes been a great player, theres no question about it, but its all about him. It is supposed to be all about your team. If youre going to be the quarterback of your team, you need to be there in the offseason workouts in March and April. Peyton Mannings there. Tom Bradys there.

Tarkenton was known for his scrambling when he played the game and Favre always has been considered a gunslinger.

I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that Ive ever seen, Tarkenton said. Look at his final game in a Packers uniform [the NFC title game in the 2007 season]. He blew that game against the Giants. Hes playing against Eli Manning, I love Eli Manning, but hes still not a great quarterback. Hes not Peyton yet, or Tom Brady. Hes just a guy. And [the Packers] are playing at home, and theyre in a tight situation, they went to overtime and [Favre] throws the interception that allows [the Giants] to come back and win the game.

He has done that and driven his coaches crazy all of his career. But its team, is it not? I know [one of the hosts] is talking about, Id give him a shot, I think it would be terrible. [The Vikings are] trying to put together a team all spring. Theyve been there, theyve been bonding, theyve getting together. He hasnt met the team, he hasnt been there bonding, he hasnt been part of that organization.

Tarkenton went on to say that the role of the quarterback, is to make your teammates better, and if you make your teammates better youre [going] to have a chance to win.

Your whole focus is on making your teammates better, he said. When you step in that huddle theyve got to want to play. You work with each one of them in the week. I coached the running backs, the linemen, the wide receivers, I took them to dinner, I bonded with them. I had no other life but them. That was my life. In the offseason, training camp, that was my life. I bonded with them. Ahmad Rashad today, hes one of my best friends. That makes it happen for you.

What Brett Favre had going for him and what Tom Brady has going for him and what Peyton Manning has going for him, is that they came into an organization that was stable. Great general managers, great ownership, great coaching. You need that to be a quarterback. Brett Favre should be grateful to Green Bay. Stable, all-time great organization and he just treated them horribly last year and now he wants to get revenge. Isnt that fun? What is this about?

One of the hosts pointed out that Tarkenton knows Zygi Wilf and wondered why he didnt give the Vikings owner a call to discuss the subject. No, Tarkenton said. The people that own these teams, they dont ask anybodys opinion except some of the junkies that are inside the league that are going to try to manipulate them anyway. They dont go and ask somebody else that maybe has a little knowledge of it because that would be deprecating to them because they are guys that either they made millions or their daddys made millions and they own these teams now and, Ive got to be smarter than everybody else in the world. I bring all my kids and all my friends into the locker room. My owners never went in the locker room.

Tarkenton never directly named Wilf or any other member of the Vikings ownership group when he made the above comment but the Vikings do have members of ownership in the locker room after games. Tarkenton did meet Wilf in October 2005 when the Vikings played in Atlanta.

Asked what would have happened if the Vikings ownership group had tried to bring friends and family into the locker room when Bud Grant was the coach, Tarkenton said: He wouldnt have them in the locker room. He kicked out Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell. Our owners didnt come in the locker room and they shouldnt come in the locker room. Youre going to war.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.