dd80forever
14 years ago

I actually think its funny how many people on here don't keep an open mind. If something is written that makes the Packers look good they are great writers but yet when someone writes bad they are idiots.

"dhazer" wrote:

It's classic, just classic.

I don't know if this guy is right and I'm sure he'd tell you the same. It's this writers opinion but he's not saying the Packers suck. He's saying they didn't do a whole helluva lot to improve.

I swear, sometimes it looks like some people think we are the only team that drafts players, changes coordinators, etc. Teams all take steps to improve their team in the offseason. Some do it better than others, but just because you plug a leak doesn't mean it actually fixed.

Again, this isn't about signing a player for 100 million dollars but more about signing a player to upgrade a unit as a whole. Relying on unproven rookies for that upgrade is not going to get you much love. I can't say that any unit on this team is better than it was last year. Perhaps, Raji and Matthews are ready to step in and be big-time players in 09 but history says otherwise when it comes to rookies.

Changing the Def could take alot of time just like the ZBS which we still don't run effectively.

So we add some back-ups, some rookies, and a new Def. Coord and we have alot of unhappy star players in Driver, Kampy, and Collins. I would think this off-season was not particularly great.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

I actually think its funny how many people on here don't keep an open mind. If something is written that makes the Packers look good they are great writers but yet when someone writes bad they are idiots.
Lets take a look at our offseason:

We sign backup players in Smith, Preston , Williams (which everyone said should be paid big money a few months ago) and Bush.
Grade: F or optimistic D-

Defense: we sign a d cord that brings in a new defense ( I like the idea) but yet we have to change how or main players play. AK has to now work in wide spaces, Woody and Al now will have to goto zone (which Al sucks at) and now have Collins as the main guy to recognize the o-sets (he blows alot of coverages and now he has the defense)

Grade C- ( to much of the unknown to grade otherwise)

Draft we got 1 starter the way it looks. Our #9 pick is slated as a backup and then the rest of the draft was great to say we have bodies for backups.

Grade B because the rest of the media thinks we did well.

I think our offseason was below average but then again compared to most with Ted Thompson at the helm is was a popular one. Because he usually doesn't do shit.

"dhazer" wrote:

Im going to regrade some things ...

C- or D = with the FA signing ... give you that. No starters; only back ups
A = defense change (which includes the new coaches); ya I rank that change that high; 3-4 done by one of the best guys in the league and also some great coaches.
B+ ya draft ...

thats my take - worst stat was the FA signings; but if we have a good team without FA then ; hey I'm all for it in saving some cap room for our key players.
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I honestly can't see how our offseason is WORSE than the Broncos. We may have not gained much, but we certainly didn't alienate a legitimate young starting QB and be stuck with Neckbeard.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago
Dulak how can you give the defense an A? You don't even know if our players can play it, thus the reason i gave them a C- tried to leave it in the middle but gave them the minus because they didn't bring in anyone that has played a 3-4. Like i said just curious how you got them as an A?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Maybe because........ALL teams are question marks right now. You don't win a Super Bowl trophy in May.
Just because a team LOOKS like it did good by picking up FA's, or who APPEARS to be the next great thing from the draft, is no guarenteee that they will do well when the real games start.

So why shouldn't Packer fans look positively at this coming season?
Our D was the weak point last year, and we changed DC and scheme.
Shouldn't we see that as a positive step? Will it work? NO ONE knows for sure. But that goes with ANY team, right?
Just because a team did good last year, does that guarentee a good year this coming season?
Should we all look at this coming season as "doom and gloom" like some posters do?
Yes, it's true we didn't sign any "big name" FA's. So that means we did lousy and will suck this year?
I believe our offense will improve, and our D should improve.
So i prefer to think positive about the coming season.
Those that want to look at it as "doom and gloom", you have the right to do so...........but i don't know WHY you would want to.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago

Maybe because........ALL teams are question marks right now. You don't win a Super Bowl trophy in May.
Just because a team LOOKS like it did good by picking up FA's, or who APPEARS to be the next great thing from the draft, is no guarenteee that they will do well when the real games start.

Shouldn't we see that as a positive step? Will it work? NO ONE knows for sure. But that goes with ANY team, right?
Just because a team did good last year, does that guarentee a good year this coming season?
Should we all look at this coming season as "doom and gloom" like some posters do?
Yes, it's true we didn't sign any "big name" FA's. So that means we did lousy and will suck this year?
Those that want to look at it as "doom and gloom", you have the right to do so...........but i don't know WHY you would want to.

"Cheesey" wrote:

On the contrary, the guy is giving his unbiased opinion. I don't think it's supposed to be a "prediction" of any kind.

I'm saying put aside your GB fandom and you can't really blame the guy for putting the Packers where he put them. They didn't do much. That in no way means they can't be successful this upcoming year. It's not "doom and gloom" it's a fair assessment, minus any hopes, of how much this team improved on that team of last year.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago

"Cheesey" wrote:

I will bet anyone money you will see the Steelers and Pats in the playoffs. 😛 I will even go as far and say so will the Eagles.

But im still waiting on how you can give a shitty defense and A for the offseason because they brought in a new d-cord. So your saying we went from one extreme to the other because of a coach.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

But im still waiting on how you can give a shitty defense and A for the offseason because they brought in a new d-cord. So your saying we went from one extreme to the other because of a coach.

"dhazer" wrote:

does that mean you are giving our D a F for last year?
Cheesey
14 years ago
Are DD80 and Hazer one in the same? They sure sound like identical twins at least! LOL!
So....cause some nobody gives his "opinion", that means he HAS to be right?
Lets see.........Fren Takenton, who was an NFL QB gives his opinion about BF, and you blast him. But some nobody writes how he thinks the Packers had the WORST off season, and you PRAISE him as "unbiased?"
How do you know? Maybe the guy hates the Packers. Maybe he's a VIKINGS or BEARS fan, and just likes to rip the Packers.
Just because no one here knows tha guy, who really knows if he's truely "unbiased?" You are just taking that for granted.

Oh..........and Hazer.........did i anywhere "give the D an A"???
ALL i said was they know there was a problem, and took steps to fix it. Had they did nothing, THEN i wouldn't be very positive.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

Agreed, funny how when Fran Tarkenton gives his opinion we care and state "thats his right" yet when someone gives one we disagree with they are idiots.

GB's off-season has been sub-par. All we did was replace a Def. Coord and in the process pissed off our best Def. player. We added a few draft picks, as did EVERY other team, and signed some stiffs in FA.

Nationally, the majority of people get it, in GB however the blinders get in the way.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Funny how you agree with everything that is negative.

Nationally most people do get it and most people regarded the Packers draft as one of the best in the entire NFL. Definitely not guys who aren't considered answers. Raji and Matthews clearly have the capabilities of being answers and ignoring that is ridiculous such as the article does. This has Green Bay as the worse. There is no way they are period considering they have now one of the best coordinators the game has seen in the last 20 years. Probably top ten.

Now is the Packers off-season the best? Of course not and as your calling is sub-par which is also not the worse. The off-season was ok, but not the worse. Not even close.

Denver loss their franchise QB. Let's start with them.
I
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (9h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (15h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (17h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (17h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (19h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (19h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (19h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (20h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (20h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.