cheeseheads123
14 years ago
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-12-126/Patience-while-the-Packers-grow-up.html 

How do you get the article on here where it says Quote: then the article is in a box. If that makes sense lol.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago

This is what happens when you build around young players.

They get older.

And they want to get paid.

After three years of fielding the NFL's youngest team, Green Bay has entered the next -- and decidedly less fun -- phase in the development of its program. In the past year, the Packers have signed four veterans to contracts worth a total of $116.5 million, but they still have 15 players whose contracts will expire after this season. Seven are likely starters, and one (safety Nick Collins) hasn't said for sure whether he will report to training camp without a new deal.

Key Packers approaching free agency
Safety Atari Bigby*
Defensive back Will Blackmon
Offensive lineman Chad Clifton
Linebacker Brandon Chillar
Offensive lineman Daryn Colledge*
Safety Nick Collins
Defensive lineman Johnny Jolly*
Linebacker Aaron Kampman
Tight end Tory Humphrey*
Fullback John Kuhn*
Receiver Ruvell Martin*
Guard/Tackle Tony Moll
Nose tackle Ryan Pickett
Center/guard Jason Spitz
Cornerback Tramon Williams+
*Will be a restricted free agent if NFL moves to an uncapped system in 2010

+Will be restricted free agent only if NFL has a new CBA in 2010

Decisions will have to be made and feelings inevitably will be hurt. This crossroads is neither unexpected nor avoidable, but for the Packers it's no less pressing than their conversion to a 3-4 defense as they attempt to rebound from a 6-10 season.

"There is always an evolution of a team," general manager Ted Thompson said. "At different points in people's careers, certain things happen. And we're trying to take care of our business the best we can. Each year your team matures, and we have a larger number of young guys that are getting ready for the next phase of their careers, and that's something that's our job to deal with."

Since his arrival in 2005, Thompson has taken a disciplined approach to building through the draft. You can praise him for developing players who are now worthy of extensions, or you can criticize him for structuring an unbalanced team. Regardless, his choice now is either to maintain the nucleus he has built or cast it aside for another young crop of players.

It's hard to imagine the Packers starting over, but the financial constraints of the NFL's salary cap will likely result in some players being excluded. That unavoidable byproduct has added a new layer to locker room dynamics as players try to figure out where they stand and inevitably compare their situations to others'.

A few players on the list could well be entering their final season with the team, most notably left tackle Chad Clifton (age 33) and nose tackle Ryan Pickett (30 in October). Such departures are a fact of life in the NFL. The unusual segment of the Packers' scenario is how many young players are approaching the end of their first contracts -- a group that includes Collins, right guard Daryn Colledge and safety Atari Bigby.

Collins appears to be the most aggrieved. He and his teammates have watched the Packers extend the contract of tailback Ryan Grant, who staged a training camp holdout last summer even though he was three years away from free agency. They saw quarterback Aaron Rodgers sign a $65 million deal after seven NFL starts. Reserve safety Jarrett Bush got a three-year deal after wading through the restricted free-agent market. Just last week, receiver Greg Jennings signed a lucrative extension.

Green Bay extensions since last summer
Date Player Pos. Years Total Guaranteed money
August 2008 Ryan Grant RB 4 years $20M $4M
October 2008 Aaron Rodgers QB 6 years $65M $20M
March 2009 Jarrett Bush DB 3 years $4.5M $1M
June 2009 Greg Jennings WR 3 years $27M $16M
Total: Four contracts worth total of $116.5 million, including $41 million in guarantees.

You could argue that Grant, Rodgers and Jennings are three of the Packers' most indispensable players. None is older than 26, and all three project as starters for the duration of their contracts. Nevertheless, I keep thinking of an obvious but relevant physiological truism: People are human. (OK, so I heard Minnesota legend Sid Hartman say it once and thought it was funny -- and true. Sue me.)

Indeed, people are human. Defensible or not, it's only natural for a player whose contract is near expiration to wonder why, say, Grant got paid and he didn't. Shortly after the Jennings deal was announced, Collins told Wisconsin reporters:

"There's a lot of guys coming up on free agency next year. I'm just glad somebody got it. Greg's a great guy. He deserves it. Hopefully, things work out for me."

Collins, who earned a Pro Bowl berth last season, said "we'll see" when asked if he will report to training camp without a deal. It's clear he is miffed the Packers decided to open their purse strings for Jennings but not him. It's a perception Thompson can do little about, but he does acknowledge the potential repercussions.

"It's never a case of really putting priority on one player or another," Thompson said. "We don't want players thinking that they're competing against [each other] or anything like that. The organization does have to make decisions as we move along."

Jennings earned his extension and is part of an exclusive internal club of players who have been taken care of. He realizes his teammates were carefully watching him this offseason and offered this advice: "Good things come to those who wait."

I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that patience, or a lack thereof, will be the most critical virtue for the Packers this season. This important but ultimately non-football issue won't impact their performance in 2009. As long as they don't let it.

blank
cheeseheads123
14 years ago
Thanks, now how do you do that? 🙂
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
There is a quote button above the text box where you write your message. You push it once, then copy and paste the article, then push the quote button again.

If that made any sense..... which i doubt.
blank
cheeseheads123
14 years ago
No, it did thank you very much.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago
You can also do

{quote}
your quote
{/quote}

But replace teh { & } with [ & ]

like so:

your quote

The {code}{/code} tags can be helpful when you want to paste something in formated in a specific way(lots of spaces etc). OR you can hit the # button up top as well.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
This is a little different from the main focus of the thread.. but...

This isn't a "young" team anymore.. there are no more fu... "freaking" excuses to be had for us lacking experience.. none.. I won't buy it at all.

The front line starters and heavy rotational players have enough experience.. hell they had enough at the beginning of last season save our QB.

The first person that pins a loss on youth.. well.. I very well might remove my leg and start to beat them with it.. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
14 years ago
I blame it on inexperience....

Seriously, though. Totally agree with 93z. It's time to perform, as a team.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
First of all I think this definately means the end for Tausher and any thoughts of him coming back to the Packers.

I think Clifton will be gone after this year and Poppinga probably won't make it thru camp.

They can get along without Moll, Kuhn, Martin, and Humphrey.

My guess is Kampman and Collins get done this year and maybe another one or two. I think everybody they need to be resigned will be although a problem could come up with a guy like Pickett if he has a great year and Raji is tearing it up next to him. In that case we would probably have to ante up because NT's don't fall off trees yet he won't be no spring chicken.

This is exactly why I was against signing some high end FA earlier. With what is on the horizon Ted has enough on his plate in terms of holding onto guys they dont' want to let go.

When you gain one good player but then can't resign two others later I don't see how that makes your team better.
"The train is leaving the station."
dfosterf
14 years ago
Completely missed in the article, an argument can easily be made that the fact that so many of these players "coming due" for their next payday can be a VERY GOOD THING.

I don't need to dwell upon it much, but how often have you said to yourself (or others) that "x" player performed because he was "in a contract year."

Well, we have a crap load of that. We also have a situation where no one in his right mind is going to be resting on any laurels...6-10 will do that, I don't care if they are playing for "the team" (like I would like to think) or the "payday" (which is probably more likely).

They can make their money the old-fashioned way...they can earn it. Those that don't, won't...They can bitch to their agents. If we are sweating this problem next year at this time, I would imagine we are having my kind of problem.

If we are at 6-10 next year, heads are gonna roll anyway.

This is going to be a great year. It will be all the more sweet, because the Pack is being largely dismissed in the contender category discussion.

This whole thing is setting up nicely for a serious bounce from the cellar.

In other words, the author could easily have this whole thing completely backwards, and as far as "hurt feelings" go, those players hurt my feelings when they failed so miserably in 2008...therefore, until proven worthy of a different perspective, can basically kiss my ass.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (12h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (14h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (17h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (18h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.