Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
What an afternoon it would be to hear some of the stories he could tell.. much like those that played ball in the past.. filling in the real gems of the history you don't often read about.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/52477747.html 

Salem - His hands are old and weathered but still look beautiful when they form a grip on a golf club. His swing is short in both directions, but the ball still flies straight and true and surprisingly far.

Fred Hawkins, 85, wears a back brace when he plays now. He has suffered two fractured vertebrae in the last year, one while swinging a club.

"I don't have a golf game anymore," he tells old friends who stop to greet him at Spring Valley Country Club, just over the Wisconsin border from his boyhood home in Antioch, Ill. "I just kind of walk around out there."

Don't let him fool you.

Hawkins shot an 80 from the forward tees on Monday, including an estimated double-bogey on a par-5 when he picked up after hitting his third shot into a pond. The rest was legit, including several deft par saves, some from spots that would have challenged Phil Mickelson.

As impressive as it was, you didn't come to see the golf.

You came to hear the stories.

Hawkins is one of the last living connections to the Ben Hogan-Sam Snead era on the PGA Tour. He joined the tour in 1947.

During his prime, there were no swing gurus or sports psychologists, no titanium drivers or manicured fairways. Half the golf balls were out of round before they were even hit and players carried a metal ring to test them. There were no yardage markers on courses; the game was played by feel.

He left the tour in 1965, driven from the game by alcoholism, a problem he overcame. He had his last drink in 1978 and went on to become one of the founding members of the Senior Tour (now Champions Tour) in 1980.

Hawkins won twice on the regular tour, made 21 holes-in-one and two double-eagles, once shot a 60 at El Paso (Texas) Country Club and shot his age for the first time when he was 64 (and hundreds of times since). Raymond Floyd once called him the best chipper he'd ever seen.
Friend of Ben

Hawkins was one of Hogan's few close friends and the two played dozens of practice rounds together. The "Wee Ice Mon," as the Scots called Hogan, was an inveterate loner who conquered a wicked hook and went on to become one of the game's greatest players.

"Hogan was hard to get to know," Hawkins says. "He could be as gracious as he wanted to be. Sometimes he was preoccupied and he'd walk right by you and not speak to you. Sometimes he was kind of cruel to people."

Hawkins also got to know Gene Sarazen and Bobby Jones, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. He hung out with actor Fred MacMurray, played big-stakes matches with the likes of Lloyd Mangrum and, later in his career, played practice rounds with a young bomber named Jack Nicklaus.

"Nicklaus asked me once if I could arrange a practice round with Ben," Hawkins says. "I said, 'Sure. I'll talk to him. We'll get somebody and you and I will play him at Colonial.' I don't remember who we got but we came to the 11th hole at Colonial, the long par-5. Nobody ever went for the green back then.

"We drove down there and hit our second shots and, of course, Nicklaus is way down there (ahead of them off the tee). But he pushed his drive over on a service road to the right of the fairway. It's lying on flat, barren, kind of clay-looking ground. And in front of him is a big row of tall, skinny trees.

"He called me over and said, 'What do you think I should do here?' I said, 'Well, take a 9-iron and punch it down there.' He said, 'You know, I think I can take my 3-wood and cut it over those trees and put it on the green.' I couldn't believe it. I said, 'OK, why don't you go ahead and do that.' Sure enough, he did it. I mean, I couldn't get it over those trees if I teed up a 7-iron.

"I looked over at Hogan and he was just shaking his head."
Skinning Arnold

Another time, Hawkins and Gene Littler took on Dow Finsterwald and a dashing young pro named Arnold Palmer in a money game.

"I shot 62 and Littler cut me four shots so we shot 58 best-ball," Hawkins says. "I got Arnold for a couple hundred dollars and he kept saying, 'We gotta go another nine. We gotta go another nine.' Finsterwald didn't want to go another nine and Littler had allergies and he couldn't go on.

"Arnold kept at it so finally I said, 'All right.' I got Jerry Barber for a partner and he got Johnny Bulla. We played 10 more holes and I birdied five of them and Barber birdied two more for 7-under net. Arnold was so mad."

Hawkins finished a career-best fourth on the PGA Tour money list in 1956 and the most he ever earned in one year was about $25,000. He made $205,228 in his career - equivalent to one top-five finish today. He acquired a reputation for not being able to finish off tournaments. By his own count, Hawkins had 27 runner-up finishes, though the Tour credits him officially with 19.

Hawkins had a shot at glory at the 1958 Masters. He needed birdies on the final two holes to force a playoff with Palmer. He made a 10-footer on No. 17, but his 18-foot attempt from above the hole on No. 18 lipped out and he fell one stroke short.

"He hit the greatest putt I've ever seen," Ford said in that same TV interview. "The ball looked like it was going in the hole and went around the edge and stopped directly behind the hole, about half an inch. Impossible."

Palmer won his first major championship and the first of his four Masters titles. Had Hawkins' putt dropped, his career - and Palmer's - might have been altered dramatically.

"I've always said I've been lucky in life," Hawkins says, "but unlucky in golf."

Just missed

Still, he went on to compile four top-10 finishes in the Masters. He also placed fifth at the U.S. Open on two occasions and made the 1957 U.S. Ryder Cup team, which he considers his biggest accomplishment.

"It was the first U.S. losing team in years, but I won the only singles match," he says. "I beat Peter Alliss. He's a great guy and we were friends before and since. Occasionally, when it comes up, Peter says, 'He gave me a thumping.' "

Hawkins lives in Sebring, Fla., but still makes annual summer trips to Wisconsin to visit his brother, Chuck, who is 88 and, incidentally, shot a 75 in that Monday round at Spring Valley.

"I was talking to a friend and we got to talking about Alzheimer's," Hawkins says. "He told me, 'You're lucky. You're too old to get Alzheimer's now.' I said, 'That's the best news I've heard.' Other than that, getting old ain't worth a s---."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
4PackGirl
14 years ago
great read, 93! i absolutely love listening to elderly people & their stories. nothing's funnier than sittin next to an old guy who's all bent over, can barely walk, & he starts tellin you about how much he used to party when he was younger & all the crazy stuff he did.
IronMan
14 years ago

i absolutely love listening to elderly people & their stories. nothing's funnier than sittin next to an old guy who's all bent over, can barely walk,

"4PackGirl" wrote:

You must like vikesrules' stories then. :icon_smile:
longtimefan
14 years ago
heard story just yesterday on WSSP

Gary Ellerson told of how his first time coming out of tunnel in Chicago for a Bears game told him how fierce the Bear/Packer rivalry was

Mike Ditka and Forrest Gregg came out of respective locker rooms at same time, saw each other then started to charge one another..Both football teams had to pull the coaches apart..

Forrest Gregg told his team, you handle the Bears and I will handle Ditka
Cheesey
14 years ago
GREAT STORY!!!
I still remember several years ago, listening to my friend's Grandpa tell us his was stories from world war ONE. I was sitting there, not wanting to miss a single word.
What was also neat was, he looked just like Boris Karloff.

We can learn alot if we just take the time to really listen.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (10m) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (1h) : damn those vikings
beast (1h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (1h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (1h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (1h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (8h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (9h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.