packersfan99
14 years ago
I will give gim a chance until the start of his 4th season, he can learn the system. And besides we have him on a really cheap deal

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFl&id=4672 

Also Matt Cassel play very bad last preseason and have a pretty good year because he knew the system for been the backup of Brady for 3 years, and he didn't even was the starter on an team since high school
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
It is a very tough call on what to do with the QB's on this team past Rodgers.

Neither has really shown that they are ready in case something happens, but both have a season plus invested in them.. so do you continue to develop them or scrap one and pick up a ready backup for insurance?

And I disagree that it is time to close the books on Brohm at this point, he is a second year QB looking like a second year QB.. it is more mental than physical issues with him. For those that think he lacks the arm strength to play in this league, I think he showed that he has enough strength this past weekend.

What he doesn't have is poise... watching him play I see a kid in which the game hasn't slowed down yet. Nervous feet, always chopping one way or another in the pocket, running through his reads in lighting speed.. all these are tell tales of a player whom the game is zipping by them.

Reminds me alot of Rodgers second camp here.. tentative, nervous and looking completely outmatched vs the NFL game. But low an behold the offseason between the second year and his third was where the game seemed to slow down around him, his reads became comfortable, his pocket presence stilled, and he began to look like an NFL pro.

Think back to the days where NFL QB's were developed instead of being thrown into the fire.. Where the washout percentage was much lower for those having the physical skills to play in this league.. the mental side was given time to catch up and they end up being very productive players. Not today's NFL where they are expected to come in and be "ready"..

I think the QB position is a lot of pampered over hyped sissies.. but don't mistake that for not respecting that there is a lot of the game mentally that has to come to them.. unlike some other positions where you can garner that trait while walking through the fire pit of game action.

Will Brohm develop and follow the path of our starter? Can't say.. will the game slow down and come to him? Only Brian can answer that question.. but two camps is a touch early to "throw" the physical talent away.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

I think the QB position is a lot of pampered over hyped sissies..

"pack93z" wrote:

I'm gettin' on a plane RFN and comin' to rib lake, Wi.

j/k

:thumbleft:

I really have no big beef with that analysis. As previously stated, my big question is can we afford to take the risk, and do we have the luxury...of patiently waiting for what we all hope will be his maturation as a quarterback in this league. Everything you have said is true, but the hardware stores, the grocery stores, the real estate offices are littered/sprinkled with once-aspiring NFL quarterbacks that didn't have "it".

Flynn would be a far better example of someone willing to "invest" in. imo

This is all subject to revision, as also previously stated, but here we are right now with a second-string quarterback that is at least "roughed-up", heading into what many think is a much better test of where we really are as a team, and my great fear right now is that thanks to what looks to me like a very shitty quarterback at this level--He is going to ruin my (admittedly unrealistic and way over-optimistic) mood and forecast for this team in the event of some unfortunate and/or untimely injuries at the position. I really don't feel like watching another repeat of the 2nd half of that football game Saturday, and that is precisely what I expect to see when Brohm hits the field...He single-handedly WILL have an impact on defense, as well as offense--that is a thread we had in the off-season, as I recall.

Brohm does suck.

He MIGHT not suck in the future, but please don't confuse that with the fact that he sucks on this Tuesday, until proven otherwise, hopefully...perhaps as soon as Friday. For planning purposes, I'm not betting on it.

Assign my perspective to a brief "Era of good feelings" after a far too long endurance of a huge pile of crap from what I have personally perceived as a pack of crybabys and hand-wringers- (definitely a very small minority here, but many know of which I speak) and I want it to last a bit. If that means that I want to spout off about Brohm and his shitty play---It is largely emotional in nature, and I don't feel like being particularly fair, unemotional , or especially analytical about it.
Greg C.
14 years ago

Reminds me alot of Rodgers second camp here.. tentative, nervous and looking completely outmatched vs the NFL game. But low an behold the offseason between the second year and his third was where the game seemed to slow down around him, his reads became comfortable, his pocket presence stilled, and he began to look like an NFL pro.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree with your take except for this part. In his second camp, I think Rodgers was WAY ahead of where Brohm is right now. Rodgers actually put together a couple of good preseason games in his second season, to go along with two stinkers. All we've gotten from Brohm so far is the stink. But I am holding out hope that Brohm will start to catch up sometime soon.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
I don't necessarily disagree, but I would use "Not NFL ready" over sucks... as IMO he hasn't had the time frame to warrant the sucks label which is reserved for the Tim Couch types of washouts that was short in both the physical and mental aspects of the game.

Risk is the big question indeed... however looking into the track record of Ted, I am thinking that he has no fear of rolling the dice on Flynn and Brohm as the backups going into the season.. they showed less last season and we rewarded with a spot on the team.

Do I personally agree with the notion.. like in other areas of the team I would like a little more veteran presence over the past couple of years.. I just don't see it happening unless a true gem of a QB becomes available in the next couple weeks...

Otherwise.. you rely on Rodgers to get off the turf every Sunday and guide this team..

I see just as much physical talent in Brohm as I did in Rodgers his second year.. Rodgers made it over the mental hump.. Can Brohm? I wish I freaking knew...

BTW.. come on up on a weekend.. we will watch the game at Dave Marcis's joint overlooking the water..

http://www.camp28.com/saloon.htm 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
14 years ago

BTW.. come on up on a weekend.. we will watch the game at Dave Marcis's joint overlooking the water..

"pack93z" wrote:

Is that invitation for everyone or just the geriatric boys?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
There are a few technical problems with that bar.

No seat backs. I get goin' (read drinkin') and I'm a "leaner-backer" as in tipping the stool back on it's hind legs. I am sure you have heard of the term "tipping point"...well now you are going to learn where that term came from...

Once ol' Dfosterf reaches his "tipping point", he usually goes backwards, which brings us to the 2nd technical difficulty viewed in the photo of your watering hole...

Isn't that a non-padded carpet on the floor? Based on experience and skill, I will have no problems hitting the carpeted section, but that still looks like a very likely candidate to hurt my head...(the next day, anyway)

Bar box looks good... How's the felt and cushions?

:sign5:

OK- Not NFL ready, for discussion purposes...jeez, you are so friggin' nice all the time... I bet when you get some assclown subordinate under-performing you take him aside for a nice piece of remedial coaching or some-such with a lovely dose of mentorship and peer-review yada yada yada

Me? Likely to shoot the bastard and shove another one into the breech.

j/k about that also. :thumbleft:
Pack93z
14 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Geriatric boys.. lol.. no it is an open invite. If you wait til snowmobiling season, you might catch Richard Childress, and the Waltrip boys hanging around.. that an spring fishing at Marcis's cabin.. Dale Sr used to hang out there a time or two..
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

I agree with your take except for this part. In his second camp, I think Rodgers was WAY ahead of where Brohm is right now. Rodgers actually put together a couple of good preseason games in his second season, to go along with two stinkers. All we've gotten from Brohm so far is the stink. But I am holding out hope that Brohm will start to catch up sometime soon.

"pack93z" wrote:

I remember more of the stink than the good.. maybe I need to pull out the 06' tapes again.. I remember seeing the good in the 07' preseason.. not much in the 06.
DakotaT
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"DakotaT" wrote:

Geriatric boys.. lol.. no it is an open invite. If you wait til snowmobiling season, you might catch Richard Childress, and the Waltrip boys hanging around.. that an spring fishing at Marcis's cabin.. Dale Sr used to hang out there a time or two..

"pack93z" wrote:

Thanks buddy, but then Mrs. Dakota would want to come with and the only thing she should be involved with with regards to football is leaving me alone for 3 hours on Sundays. Fall in northern Wisconsin does sound nice though.
UserPostedImage