Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

George Washington's whiskey distillery rebuilt; first president also grew hemp at Mount Vernon 

Steve Hammons

October 11, 2006

George Washington was in the news recently. No, he's not back to lead our country militarily, politically and morally, though we could use him now.

It was the official dedication of an accurate replica of Washington's whiskey distillery at Mount Vernon that made news.

After a five-year archeological effort, and using the 1797 plans for the distillery, Washington's whiskey-making operation was rebuilt on the exact location of the original, using the same kind of equipment and technology that the father of our country used.

In addition to making whiskey and farming different crops on his Mount Vernon acreage, Washington also grew hemp (cannabis), like many people of his time.

Hemp was considered an important crop and widely used as a source for paper, cloth, rope, ship sails and for many other uses.

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere," wrote Washington in 1794.

His whiskey distillery and hemp acreage might remind us that Washington was a down-to-Earth human being, as well as a warrior, statesman and American patriot.

LIBERTY, WHISKEY AND HEMP

Five copper stills as well as brick ovens can now be visited on the Mount Vernon site. And the equipment can actually make whiskey.

Mount Vernon officials say they may produce some for special occasions and might try to get approval to bottle and sell it.

Washington began his whiskey business as another way to create income in addition to farming, which was his main source of earnings. Most farmers in his region at the time also made whiskey

As a farmer who grew different types of crops, Washington also took an interest in the hemp plant just like other farmers of his day did. He took note of its properties and productivity, and his writings contain many references to this crop.

"What was done with the seed saved from the India Hemp last summer? It ought, all of it, to have been sewn again; that not only a stock of seed sufficient for my own purposes might have been raised, but to have disseminated the seed to others; as it is more valuable than the common Hemp," Washington wrote.

Hemp paper was used for the first draft of the Declaration of Independence. The U.S. Constitution was reportedly written on hemp paper. And Betsy Ross created the first American flag with hemp fabric.

Washingtons contemporary Thomas Jefferson, an avid amateur scientist and naturalist, also took an interest in hemp.

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth and protection of the country," wrote Jefferson.

SIR, WE NEED YOU NOW

We might wonder what Washington would think of the state of our nation today.

He and other American patriots fought against a king's corrupt and oppressive rule.

Liberty and freedom from control by some remote and power-hungry ruler were guiding principles that led Washington, other founding fathers and the American patriots to stand up and make changes.

They did not want a king or even a president telling them what to do and how to live their lives.

They wanted freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures of their persons, homes and property. They wanted protection from a kings power to imprison them without proper cause or fair trial.

Washington and his fellow Americans wanted the freedom to speak and write freely.

They wanted to worship as they pleased and to follow their own paths, their own hearts and minds to enjoy their God-given rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

As we approach the mid-term elections of 2006, we might consider Washingtons America of 1776, when grass-roots Americans felt a spirit of freedom and change, and they took responsibility to create something different.

Yes, Washington was a down-to-Earth patriot who made whiskey and grew hemp.

And he was a believer in a larger spiritual force that guides the destiny of humanity and that of the United States.

UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
Rourke, you crazy asshole. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Formo
14 years ago
Even though I disagree with it.. if it becomes legal, then whatever. I guess lesser government control is better than more. Which is what I like to see anyway.

But, honestly. I don't have my heart in this issue. It's in the issue of seeing some sort of deal get done to help keep my Vikings in MN. I'm not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel here in Minny, because of that I'm trying to fathom the Vikings no longer in MN. That's a harder pill to swallow than seeing pot being legalized, IMO..

=(
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Hemp Facts 

HISTORY FACTS

* Hemp has been grown for at least the last 12,000 years for fiber (textiles and paper) and food. It has been effectively prohibited in the United States since the 1950s.

* George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both grew hemp. Ben Franklin owned a mill that made hemp paper. Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on hemp paper.

* When US sources of "Manila hemp" (not true hemp) was cut off by the Japanese in WWII, the US Army and US Department of Agriculture promoted the "Hemp for Victory" campaign to grow hemp in the US.

* Because of its importance for sails (the word "canvas" is rooted in "cannabis") and rope for ships, hemp was a required crop in the American colonies.

INDUSTRY FACTS

* Henry Ford experimented with hemp to build car bodies. He wanted to build and fuel cars from farm products.

* BMW is experimenting with hemp materials in automobiles as part of an effort to make cars more recyclable.

* Much of the bird seed sold in the US has hemp seed (it's sterilized before importation), the hulls of which contain about 25% protein.

* Hemp oil once greased machines. Most paints, resins, shellacs, and varnishes used to be made out of linseed (from flax) and hemp oils.

* Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on hemp oil.

* Kimberly Clark (on the Fortune 500) has a mill in France which produces hemp paper preferred for Bibles because it lasts a very long time and doesn't yellow.

* Construction products such as medium density fiber board, oriented strand board, and even beams, studs and posts could be made out of hemp. Because of hemp's long fibers, the products will be stronger and/or lighter than those made from wood.

* The products that can be made from hemp number over 25,000.

SCIENTIFIC FACTS

* Industrial hemp and marijuana are both classified by taxonomists as Cannabis sativa, a species with hundreds of varieties. C. sativa is a member of the mulberry family. Industrial hemp is bred to maximize fiber, seed and/or oil, while marijuana varieties seek to maximize THC (delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol, the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana).

* While industrial hemp and marijuana may look somewhat alike to an untrained eye, an easily trained eye can easily distinguish the difference.

* Industrial hemp has a THC content of between 0.05 and 1%. Marijuana has a THC content of 3% to 20%. To receive a standard psychoactive dose would require a person to power-smoke 10-12 hemp cigarettes over an extremely short period of time. The large volume and high temperature of vapor, gas and smoke would be almost impossible for a person to withstand.

* If hemp does pollinate any nearby marijuana, genetically, the result will always be lower-THC marijuana, not higher-THC hemp. If hemp is grown outdoors, marijuana will not be grown close by to avoid producing lower-grade marijuana.

* Hemp fibers are longer, stronger, more absorbent and more mildew-resistant than cotton.

* Fabrics made of at least one-half hemp block the sun's UV rays more effectively than other fabrics.

* Many of the varieties of hemp that were grown in North America have been lost. Seed banks weren't maintained. New genetic breeding will be necessary using both foreign and domestic "ditchweed," strains of hemp that went feral after cultivation ended. Various state national guard units often spend their weekends trying to eradicate this hemp, in the mistaken belief they are helping stop drug use.

* A 1938 Popular Mechanics described hemp as a "New Billion Dollar Crop." That's back when a billion was real money.

* Hemp can be made in to a variety of fabrics, including linen quality.

LEGAL FACTS

* The US Drug Enforcement Agency classifies all C. sativa varieties as "marijuana." While it is theoretically possible to get permission from the government to grow hemp, DEA would require that the field be secured by fence, razor wire, dogs, guards, and lights, making it cost-prohibitive.

* The US State Department must certify each year that a foreign nation is cooperating in the war on drugs. The European Union subsidizes its farmers to grow industrial hemp. Those nations are not on this list, because the State Department can tell the difference between hemp and marijuana.

* Hemp was grown commercially (with increasing governmental interference) in the United States until the 1950s. It was doomed by the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, which placed an extremely high tax on marijuana and made it effectively impossible to grow industrial hemp. While Congress expressly expected the continued production of industrial hemp, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics lumped industrial hemp with marijuana, as it's successor the US Drug Enforcement Administration, does to this day.

* Over 30 industrialized democracies do distinguish hemp from marijuana. International treaties regarding marijuana make an exception for industrial hemp.

* Canada now again allows the growing of hemp.

ECOLOGY FACTS

* Hemp growers can not hide marijuana plants in their fields. Marijuana is grown widely spaced to maximize leaves. Hemp is grown in tightly-spaced rows to maximize stalk and is usually harvested before it goes to seed.

* Hemp can be made into fine quality paper. The long fibers in hemp allow such paper to be recycled several times more than wood-based paper.

* Because of its low lignin content, hemp can be pulped using less chemicals than with wood. Its natural brightness can obviate the need to use chlorine bleach, which means no extremely toxic dioxin being dumped into streams. A kinder and gentler chemistry using hydrogen peroxide rather than chlorine dixoide is possible with hemp fibers.

* Hemp grows well in a variety of climates and soil types. It is naturally resistant to most pests, precluding the need for pesticides. It grows tightly spaced, out-competing any weeds, so herbicides are not necessary. It also leaves a weed-free field for a following crop.

* Hemp can displace cotton which is usually grown with massive amounts of chemicals harmful to people and the environment. 50% of all the world's pesticides are sprayed on cotton.

* Hemp can displace wood fiber and save forests for watershed, wildlife habitat, recreation and oxygen production, carbon sequestration (reduces global warming), and other values.

* Hemp can yield 3-8 dry tons of fiber per acre. This is four times what an average forest can yield.

HEALTH FACTS

* If one tried to ingest enough industrial hemp to get 'a buzz', it would be the equivalent of taking 2-3 doses of a high-fiber laxative.

* At a volume level of 81%, hemp oil is the richest known source of polyunsaturated essential fatty acids (the "good" fats). It's quite high in some essential amino acids, including gamma linoleic acid (GLA), a very rare nutrient also found in mother's milk.

* While the original "gruel" was made of hemp seed meal, hemp oil and seed can be made into tasty and nutritional products.

Prepared by the North American Industrial Hemp Council, October 1997

UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago
LOL I forgot about the whole hemp argument. Good posts drivel. I heard hemp can actually be used to make fuel....
dfosterf
14 years ago

Even though I disagree with it.. if it becomes legal, then whatever. I guess lesser government control is better than more. Which is what I like to see anyway.

But, honestly. I don't have my heart in this issue. It's in the issue of seeing some sort of deal get done to help keep my Vikings in MN. I'm not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel here in Minny, because of that I'm trying to fathom the Vikings no longer in MN. That's a harder pill to swallow than seeing pot being legalized, IMO..

=(

"Formo" wrote:

It's big with the potheads, Jeremy.

Sort of like the 2nd Amendment for the gun nuts, but more chillin'.

:thumbleft:

Now the stadium thing...You got trouble...real trouble...tangible trouble...this time.

I haven't said anything much about that, even over at PPO, because..well, because you got trouble, and even I am not that big of an asshole. I hope it (somehow--I'm not seeing it) works out.

(Chill, Non--I know your motivations--I was speaking to your readership, lol)

Oh, I find Ron Paul quite entertaining, and some of his stuff is profoundly sage, but no one can convince me that he doesn't have an entire set of screws loose somewhere in the equation of his makeup. :thumbleft:
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The irony, Foster, is I don't actually like most potheads. They annoy the piss out of me -- even the ones I like. Does that mean I'm a wuss for standing up for their right to bake up?
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

The irony, Foster, is I don't actually like most potheads. They annoy the piss out of me -- even the ones I like. Does that mean I'm a wuss for standing up for their right to bake up?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

No, but it just might mean you have an autographed poster of Ron Paul somewhere in your house, lol lol lol .
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'll freely admit I voted for Ron Paul in the primaries last year and I was pretty angry that after amassing a substantial war chest (the second most money of any Republican candidate) he didn't choose to pursue a campaign outside the Republican party.

But sadly, no poster.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Nope, it means your principles are stronger than your emotions and your "gut".

Which places you above a significant fraction of the polis in a majoritarian society.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)