longtimefan
14 years ago

Mike is denying it saying he didnt fire anyone on the grounds crew..Said he didnt even read the paper

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

If true, I would like to see Mike McCarthy publicly request the man be reinstated with a statement.

"longtimefan" wrote:

IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Mike is denying it saying he didnt fire anyone on the grounds crew..Said he didnt even read the paper

"longtimefan" wrote:

If true, I would like to see Mike McCarthy publicly request the man be reinstated with a statement.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"longtimefan" wrote:

http://www.620wtmj.com/podcasts/newstogo/69958592.html?video=pop&t=a%27,%27video%27,%27scrollbars=yes,width=800,height=630,screenx=15,screeny=15,%27 
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Dang, it doesn't work for me. Something about QuickTime.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Actually, this sort of thing is not at all unusual in hierarchical organizations (the dysfunctional kind with managers that are poster children for the Peter Principle).

It's easy to be "we're all one big happy family" when the organization is successful. But when things start to fail or underperform expectations, then more "leadership" is called for. But those upon who leadership devolves see themselves not as part of the team, but as He Who Has The Vision And Must Be Obeyed.

Even if they don't really have a vision. No, especially if they don't have a vision.

Problems get reduced to the elimination of blemishes. And the biggest sort of blemish becomes anything that smacks of criticism or disrespect for The Leader.

At a time when a leader needs to develop a thicker skin than ever, to weather more criticism, deserved and undeserved, The Leader instead becomes less and less tolerant of dissent.

Sad to say, it sounds like McCarthy is an example of the species.

Sad.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
try this:
[mp3 width=400 height=20]http://media2.620wtmj.com/breakingnews/11_12_09_mccarthy.mp3[/mp3]
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
McCarthy is mad because the lines are on the field are off, making it appear that his is calling deep routes instead of slants.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

try this:
[mp3 width=400 height=20]http://media2.620wtmj.com/breakingnews/11_12_09_mccarthy.mp3[/mp3]

"IronMan" wrote:

Well, that's underwhelming, isn't it?

He sounds like I feel a lot of days when instead of going to work and dealing with all the shit, I'd rather just curl up in a corner in a fetal position.

I don't want to read a lot into a couple responses to softballs lobbed by the WTMJ reporter/suck-up, but it didn't sound like the fire-and-enthusiasm one would like to hear a few days before a key game of the season.

My first reaction was: oh, he's definitely done.
My second reaction was: oh, crap, GB's going to get completely hammered this week and the game is going to be over by halftime.
My third reaction: hope first two are wrong.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
14 years ago
I listened. That was another non-answer. I am with LTF. Mike McCarthy should announce that this man has been restored to his previous position... or one better.

If not, he should explain why not. I understand there are always two sides to every story, but I find that the present version that is out there so terribly unjust and "bully-like" that it cannot simply be an "oh, well, that is sad" kind of thing. Who knows? Maybe this is complete bullshit, and the guy deserved to be canned.

I friggin' doubt it, though.

This is the organization that calls upon it's fans to come shovel out the stadium for peanuts and the experience.

My (personal) one better:

Mark Murphy should do the talking from now on.

I hate a bully.
TOPackerFan
14 years ago

I just read this and was going to look for this here. When I saw the title of the thread, I knew right away what this was.

Ridiculous doesn't describe the words. Even if he did say don't lay an egg, that's not that bad. Since when was that enough to get someone fired.
Considering the economy and the fact he's been there 20-plus years, you would think McCarthy would put his sensitivity aside and let it go. Obviously, he didn't.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Seriously. That's something I'd expect from Sherman during the post Ted Thompson hiring "Teakbitch" phaze.

"porky88" wrote:

Mike Sherman had way too much class for this. Say what you want about Sherman as a GM/coach, he is a good and honourable man and would never have done something this petty.

McCarthy is a disgrace.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
lmao @ fans blasting Mike McCarthy for the firing. Hilarious.

Firing of Lambeau Field worker could grease skids for McCarthy 

During the offseason, a game day employee at Lincoln Financial Field lost his job after badmouthing the Eagles on his Facebook page. Despite the fact that Dan Leone had no defense to the reality that he foolishly posted for the world to see a message including the "F" word and calling the team "retarted" for allowing safety Brian Dawkins to sign with a new team, the move created a flood of local sympathy for the fired employee.

More recently, the Packers abruptly fired a 22-year member of the Lambeau Field maintenance crew, but not for using bad language or calling anyone "retarted" or saying anything in any forum that anyone other than coach Mike McCarthy would hear.

According to Don Walker of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wood saw McCarthy at Lambeau Field on the Thursday before the pressure-packed visit from Brett Favre and the Vikings, on November 1.

Wood says that he yelled to McCarthy, "Hey coach, let's get the boys ready to kick some butt this weekend."

The next day, Wood showed up for work. Nothing was said to him.

On the day of the game, Wood learned that he had been fired. He was told that McCarthy heard him say, "Don't lay an egg."

Um, where do we start?

First, if McCarthy was sufficiently worried in the three days before the biggest game at Lambeau Field since the Ice Bowl about some guy telling him not to "lay an egg" that it caused McCarthy to find out who said it and to have the guy fired, then maybe McCarthy wasn't as focused on getting himself and the team ready for the game as he should have been.

Second, the fact that McCarthy would have Wood fired shows that the coach's thick flesh is covered by ridiculously think skin.

Third, at a time when the locals already are clamoring for Jon Gruden or Mike Holmgren or Mike Shanahan or any Mike not named McCarthy to be coaching the team in 2010, this is the kind of thing that can strike a chord with the people who made the Packers what they are.

McCarthy isn't one of them. He's a Pittsburgh guy. A transplant. A carpetbagger. Sure, he spent one season a decade ago in Green Bay as an assistant coach, but he's not a native son.

And here's the most obvious question the native sons and daughters will be asking: Why not meet with the guy and hear his side of the story? Maybe Wood is telling the truth. Maybe McCarthy, his blood pressure likely sky high as his plan to nudge Favre into retirement was about to explode in his face once and for all, didn't accurately hear what Wood said.

Really, why would a 22-year employee be stupid enough to disrespect the head coach of the team to his face? Plenty of folks write stupid things on web sites and blogs. But most of us adopt some semblance of common sense and civility when dealing with other people directly.

So look for the storm clouds to continue to gather around McCarthy.

And look for him to hear things on Sunday at Lambeau Field far more profane and pointed than "don't lay an egg."

Edit, just read the article.

Why does Florio do this? He plays coy with things, then in later articles calls them fact, even though he proves that its unknown? Now, he is saying it's fact that Mike McCarthy had Wood fired, yet no one knows the truth.

I will agree with the criticisms if Mike McCarthy did go out of his way, or even made effort to get the man fired.

I just haven't seen anything that strongly indicates that is the truth. It's far more feasible for me to believe that the supervisor was told by Mike McCarthy and the supervisor took it on his own to fire the guy in fear of him not doing anything, he'd be fired.

Either way, I still want Mike McCarthy gone for reasons that actually matter, football reasons.
UserPostedImage