Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Prisco's Monday Musings 

---There was some talk in New England Sunday that the time has come for the Jets to sit down rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez. Why? This is his team for the long run, so that accomplishes nothing. He is playing poorly, but he needs to work through it. Let him learn on the job. The Jets are 4-6 and their playoff hopes are all but dead, so let him play for the future. I'm not a big fan of the play calling of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. He needs to work on helping Sanchez more. It didn't help Sanchez that Braylon Edwards ran a soft route that led to an interception. He seemed to be jogging his route. Edwards also dropped a first-down pass.

---It's tough enough losing one key starter on defense for the season. But the Green Bay Packers lost two Sunday. The Packers lost corner Al Harris and outside linebacker Aaron Kampman to knee injuries. Both will have surgery and are gone for the season. Harris had played well in adapting to Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme, which featured more zone coverage. Kampman might be the key to the defense, his rush skills a vital part of that unit. Rookie Brad Jones will likely start for Kampman, although Brady Poppinga. Jones started for Kampman against the Cowboys and played well. Tramon Williams will take over for Harris. Jarrett Bush will move up to nickel corner. Capers has a real challenge now with that group of players, but he's always done more with less.

---I heard more talk Sunday that the overtime rules need to be changed. That drum started getting banged again when the Giants beat Atlanta in overtime without the Falcons touching the ball. Here's an idea: Stop them. The Chiefs stopped the Steelers in overtime and then won it when they got the ball. The overtime system is fine. Don't change it.

---The Chargers released receiver Chris Chambers in part because they thought he slowed down. But Chambers looked good Sunday for the Chiefs with four catches for 119 yards. His 61-yard catch set up the game-winning field goal to beat the Steelers.

---I don't buy Mike Shanahan's interest in the Buffalo job. He'll talk to them, but I hear he doesn't like the quarterback situation. The ideal job for him would be Houston, but he'd be taking over for good friend, Gary Kubiak, and there is no telling if that job comes open. If it does I'm told he'd love to work with Matt Schaub. Shanahan is also eyeing the Cowboys and Redskins. Keep the Bears open as a possibility. Shanahan has two years left on his Denver contract.

---Mike Holmgren to the Seahawks sounds likely. He would take on a Bill Parcells role. But I don't think Holmgren and coach Jim Mora Jr. had a warm and fuzzy relationship when they were together. That will be an interesting situation to watch if Holmgren does take over. But let's not forger that Holmgren wasn't great making personnel decisions when he had that power in Seattle in the past.

----I've been a big proponent of Lions rookie quarterback Matt Stafford. He has it. We saw it Sunday. He threw five touchdown passes to beat the Cleveland Browns, the last coming on the game's final play -- with a separated shoulder. The kid is tough and he understands the passing game. The Lions have a keeper. His 422 yards passing were the most by a rookie in league history.

----Terrell Owens looked to be having fun playing in the Bills loss to the Jaguars. He had nine catches for 197 yards and a 98-yard touchdown catch. Where has he been all season?

---Peyton Manning went over 3,000 yards passing Sunday. That makes 12 consecutive seasons topping that number, which is an NFL record. It's expected now. The Colts have won 19 consecutive games, which is two off the NFL record of 21 set by the New England Patriots.

----The Ravens have had problems covering the pass all season long. Now they will have to do it without starting corner Fabian Washington, who is out with a torn ACL. Lardarius Webb, a rookie third-round pick, will likely take his starting spot. Webb is the corner of the future for the Ravens, but this might be rushing it a bit.

----The Steelers will bring in a quarterback with Charlie Batch out six weeks with a wrist injury and Ben Roethlisberger hurting with a concussion. The Steelers will consider somebody like Cleo Lemon or another veteran. They better hope Roethlisberger can go this week. If not, it's Dennis Dixon making his first start. Wonder if Byron Leftwich wishes he had stayed in Pittsburgh now?

---I love when sideline spats between coaches and players become a big deal. We had one in Dallas Sunday with Dave Campo and cornerback Terence Newman getting into it. The two had to be separated. It's heat of the moment stuff. No big deal. Campo gets feisty on the sidelines, so it's not surprise.

UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
A few thoughts..

I like the idea of doing college rule overtime. Not because "it's not fair" but because I like college rules better when it comes to that. Makes it more interesting and entertaining, by FAR.

I don't like that stat about the Colts winning 19 in a row. Last I checked, they lost in the playoffs last year. Which means.. Uhh.. It's only 10 in a row. Playoff games matter, IMO.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Manning is methodically chewing through Favre's records. I imagine he'll be breaking Favre's 4,000-yard record soon too.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

Manning is methodically chewing through Favre's records. I imagine he'll be breaking Favre's 4,000-yard record soon too.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

As long as he stays healthy, which he's shown that he's not having any problems doing that, he'll own every relevant QB record there is.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Except TD passes in a season and passing yards in a season.
UserPostedImage
Gravedigga
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Favres only hope is that he can outlast Manning and play another 2 years after this one. Otherwise, Manning should get the TD record, wins, yards, att & comp. What 4000 yard record are you talking about? Already now, Manning has 9 4k yard seasons(might have 5k this year for his 10th) and Favre only has 5.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Porforis
14 years ago
If you guys think people are whiny here, take a look at the people over at cbs.sportsline.com... Two threads commenting on the article have a point, the rest are just "OMG, Prisco/Freeman/Judge is a moron" and people bitching, bitching, bitching...
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Yeah, it occurred to me last night after I went to bed that Manning had burned through Favre's 4,000-yard season mark years ago.

As mentioned previously, Favre has thrown for 4,000 yards 5 times in his career. By way of comparison, Aaron Rodgers last year, in his first season as a starter, threw for 4038. This year, he is on pace for 4460 yards, more than Favre has ever thrown in any season.

Bear in mind, too, that Rodgers only threw 13 interceptions last year, a number Favre matched only 3 times (before this year) and is on pace to throw only 8 this year . . . Peyton Manningesque numbers.

Bear in mind also that Rodgers threw 28 touchdowns last year, a number Favre attained or exceeded 9 times, and is on pace to throw 30 this year, a number Favre attained or exceeded 8 times. Rodgers ran for 4 touchdowns last year and is on pace to run for 5 more this year, while the most Favre ever ran for was 3 (1994).

Skeptics will say that Rodgers' output is mainly attributable to rule changes that favor quarterbacks more now than they did at the beginning of Favre's career. While that is undoubtedly true, bear in mind that last year, Rodgers was sacked 34 times; only 4 times in his career in Green Bay was Favre sacked 34 or more times (1992, 1996, 1998, 1999). Through 10 games this season, Rodgers has been sacked 43 times, more than Favre has ever been sacked in any complete season. Despite this intense pressure, Rodgers only fumbled 10 times last season, a number Favre equaled or exceeded 7 times in his career, losing 3, a number Favre equaled or exceeded 13 times in his career.

So yes, the rules favor quarterbacks more now, but Rodgers is accomplishing amazing feats under adversity Favre never dreamed of.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Before someone misunderstands the intent of that post, it's not to inflame a Favre/Rodgers controversy. Favre is having an amazing year and I'm in no way trying to diminish that. I'm only trying to extol our quarterback and marvel over what he has been able to accomplish in such a short time.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (51m) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (2h) : damn those vikings
beast (2h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (2h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (2h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (2h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (9h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (10h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.