Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Passing = winning in the NFL

By Gregg Easterbrook

Page 2

Kerry Collins goes out, Vince Young comes in, and immediately the Titans snap to life, winning four straight games. JaMarcus Russell goes out, Bruce Gradkowski comes in, and immediately the Raiders snap to life, with a major win. In Russell's case, he has 17 career touchdown passes versus 35 interceptions and fumbles lost; he does not command the huddle, and shows no leadership skills. It's time to ask -- is Russell the new Ryan Leaf? (In saying this, I don't mean to insult Leaf.)

In Young's case, he does have a good sense of the field and leadership skills -- it's no coincidence Young is 22-11 as an NFL starter. Football is a team game, and there's always a lot more going on than who lines up at quarterback. But the dramatic examples in Oakland and Tennessee of success based on quarterback changes remind us that quarterback remains the key position in the sport.

The relationship between quarterback effectiveness and victory underscores the pre-eminence of the pass in the NFL. None of the top four rushing teams in the NFL this season (Tennessee, N.Y. Jets, Carolina and Miami) has a winning record. By contrast, 11 of the top 12 passing teams have winning records. Right now there are 14 NFL teams with winning records, and only three of those clubs are in the lower half of the league in terms of passing yards.

Considering the centrality of passing effectiveness to NFL success, you'd think everything there is to figure out about game planning for the pass has been figured out, right? Surprisingly, in an era of stats obsession and assistant coaches with laptops, this is not the case. NFL teams should pass more often on first down than they do. The indicators are strong. Yet, week in and week out, many NFL teams predictably rush on first down.

Last season, the teams that passed most on first down were New Orleans (58 percent), Denver, (58), Arizona (58) and Houston (54). And the top offensive teams of 2008 were New Orleans, Denver, Houston and Arizona. This outcome was not ironclad -- Atlanta finished sixth on offense last season, and passed a league-low 31 percent of the time on first down. But in general last season, throwing frequency on first down directly correlated with offensive success.

This season, the case for throwing on first down remains. Here are the 10 teams that pass most often on first down: Chicago (60 percent), Seattle (60), Philadelphia (59), Tampa (55), Arizona (54), New England (54), San Francisco (53), Indianapolis (52), Green Bay (51) and Houston (51). Five of those teams have winning records, and five of the teams (New England, Indianapolis, Green Bay, Arizona and Houston) that pass most often on first down are in the top 10 for total offense. On the opposite side of the coin, here are the 10 teams that run most often on first down: N.Y. Jets (72 percent), St. Louis (61), Tennessee (59), Cincinnati (59), Minnesota (58), Cleveland (57), Carolina (57), Buffalo (56) and San Diego (56). Only three of the teams most likely to run on first down have winning records, and only one (Minnesota) is in the top 10 in total offense. Tuesday Morning Quarterback thanks Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders, hands-down the best independent Web site about football, for compiling these stats.

Passing success on first down shouldn't come as a surprise. Most of the time, NFL defensive coordinators put out a rush defense on first down. You'd rather throw against a rush defense than against a pass defense. First down is also a good down for the play-fake; nobody buys the play-fake on third-and-long. Yet, at least for the past decade, NFL teams as a group have rushed more often on first down than they've passed. The mindset seems to be, "First down is when you run."

Since pass attempts average more yards gained than rushes (7.1 yards per pass attempt versus 4.1 yards per rush leaguewide in 2008), people sometimes ask why football teams don't simply always pass. The answer is, this would allow the defense to always be in a pass-defense package -- forcing the defense to be ready for either a run or a pass makes the pass more effective. Considering first down is when defenses are most likely to assume run, why not feature the pass then? Why wait until third down, when -- unless it's a short-yardage situation -- defenses assume a pass is coming? (And rightly so, since NFL teams passed the ball 76 percent of the time on third down last season.)

In Christmas-is-coming news, man of the worldly mind, do you believe in the Crabtree Curse? San Francisco was 3-1 before signing Michael Crabtree and is 1-5 since. Do you believe in the Kern Kurse? As noted by reader Diego Arias of Delray Beach, Fla., the Broncos were 6-0 with Brett Kern as their punter, and have gone 0-4 since waiving him. The Titans were 0-6 without Kern, and are 4-0 since claiming him off waivers from Denver.

In college football news, even TMQ would have punted! Leading Harvard 10-7 with 3:24 remaining in the fourth quarter, Yale faced fourth-and-22 on its own 25-yard line -- and went for it! The call was a fake punt. Fake kicks are most attractive when only a few yards are needed for the first down. The fake gained 15 yards, but that still handed Harvard the ball on the Yale 40-yard line; Harvard scored the game-winning touchdown four snaps later. Courage on fourth down is one thing; going for it on fourth-and-22 in your own territory when holding the lead is what, exactly? Somehow, Bill Belichick must be behind this.

Click here  to read the rest of the column.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Geez. I've been saying this for years now.

Passing game is much, much, much, much X100 more important than a rushing game in today's NFL.

Look at the elite teams in the NFL today. Weird coincidence that each team has an elite QB but not necessarily even a good starting RB.

Elite QB/RB
Saints - Brees/nope
The Colts - P Manning/nope
Vikings - Favre/Peterson
Patriots - Brady/nope

In fact, the best team this decade, the Patriots, won 3 SBs with an elite QB. Only one year they had an elite RB.

So note to Mike McCarthy - pass/run 70/30. Screw balance. And pass more on first down.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Formo
14 years ago

Kerry Collins goes out, Vince Young comes in, and immediately the Titans snap to life, winning four straight games. JaMarcus Russell goes out, Bruce Gradkowski comes in, and immediately the Raiders snap to life, with a major win. In Russell's case, he has 17 career touchdown passes versus 35 interceptions and fumbles lost; he does not command the huddle, and shows no leadership skills. It's time to ask -- is Russell the new Ryan Leaf? (In saying this, I don't mean to insult Leaf.)

Wow.. What a rip on JaMarcus.. LOL

He deserves it, and so does the Raiders. (Sorry RP!)
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Gravedigga
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

Wow.. What a rip on JaMarcus.. LOL

He deserves it, and so does the Raiders. (Sorry RP!)

Russell looks like such crap it's sad. Haha, at least he got paid. Cant really blame him i mean, he does play on the Raiders. Did you really expect anything different. I believe the Raiders could have ruined Favres, Montana's, Marinos and Peyton Mannings careers. If they had been drafted by the Raiders, they would probably be some joke or bust people refer to during draft time. It's Da Raidazz. Javon Walker, Heyward Bey, Russell. LOL. Well done big Al.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

Passing game is much, much, much, much X100 more important than a rushing game in today's NFL.

Look at the elite teams in the NFL today. Weird coincidence that each team has an elite QB but not necessarily even a good starting RB.

Elite QB/RB
Saints - Brees/nope
Vikings - Favre/Peterson
Patriots - Brady/nope

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I would say Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Reggie Bush as RBs would count as an elite backfield. Most teams today don't go with just one RB, so elite RBs by themselves are hard to find as it is.
This is a placeholder
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Elite QB/RB
Saints - Brees/nope
Vikings - Favre/Peterson
Patriots - Brady/nope

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I would say Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Reggie Bush as RBs would count as an elite backfield. Most teams today don't go with just one RB, so elite RBs by themselves are hard to find as it is.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

OK, I'm comfortable with that. 2 of them have a 5.0+ average and the other has a 4.5 average, plus Reggie Bush is a dang good receiver.

That still leaves the Colts and the Patriots without elite RBs. Plus, look at today. AP stunk it up but it didn't matter. Favre was completely on fire and single-handedly annihilated da Bears. The only time for the Vikings today the RBs mattered were when Favre threw a TD to Chester Taylor. AP's one TD rush was garbage time.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Elite QB/RB
Saints - Brees/nope
Vikings - Favre/Peterson
Patriots - Brady/nope

"zombieslayer" wrote:

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

OK, I'm comfortable with that. 2 of them have a 5.0+ average and the other has a 4.5 average, plus Reggie Bush is a dang good receiver.

That still leaves the Colts and the Patriots without elite RBs. Plus, look at today. AP stunk it up but it didn't matter. Favre was completely on fire and single-handedly annihilated da Bears. The only time for the Vikings today the RBs mattered were when Favre threw a TD to Chester Taylor. AP's one TD rush was garbage time.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I get what you're saying, though, and I totally agree. You don't actually need that elite RB, even though it comes in handy, to win it all.

That said, the most important thing is still the defense. Just look at the Saints or Colts. IF it was about the passing game, they'd have been in the Super Bowl every year for the last 3 years.

That said, if you have that defense, you can make due with a good running game pretty effectively, as well. As long as you're leading, there's not too big of a problem. Once you get down, though, and have to rely on the passing game, your team will break down. Just look at the Ravens (before Flacco). They had that one year where their defense was good enough to just rely on Jamal Lewis and Trent Dilfer, but just look at the games they got down fast in that year. They lost with scores like 6 - 9. And that was with Dilfer having a career year.

A running game will wear a defense out, but the passing game is where it's at in this day and age. And, of course, balance is perfect.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Yeah, I really hate admitting I was wrong, but Defense does win championships. Build the D, then find a QB. That's pretty much all you need.

Bonus - have someone good protecting him. Another bonus - give him someone to throw to. Yet another bonus - find him someone to hand off to.

Of course I'm exaggerating for effect, but in order, D comes first, then QB. RB is a lot lower than most people realize.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Yeah, I really hate admitting I was wrong, but Defense does win championships. Build the D, then find a QB. That's pretty much all you need.

Bonus - have someone good protecting him. Another bonus - give him someone to throw to. Yet another bonus - find him someone to hand off to.

Of course I'm exaggerating for effect, but in order, D comes first, then QB. RB is a lot lower than most people realize.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

DL - OL and everyone will look really good all of a sudden.

Vikings defense is the best example I can think off.

Ravens offensive is the best example of O-line play. Maybe Cowboys, as well.

We're building this team the wrong way around, that's why we're really, really succesfull now that our d-line play is clicking all of a sudden. And why we had such a huge drop down from our 2007 defense, as they had one of the best d-lines in recent memory.

At least, that's what I think. Look at what we'll do with that DE/OLB (Line play, if you ask me) and a decent O-line. We'll be instant contendors, because we pretty much have the rest in place.

Just ask Timmy Smith.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (5h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (11h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (13h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (13h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (15h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (15h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (15h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (16h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (16h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.