Pack93z
14 years ago

I've read posts by Eagles fans indicating they're glad to see McNabb go, because now they won't have to continue to watch balls being thrown at the receivers' feet or behind the running backs. I'm not sure I buy it.

"Wade" wrote:

Sounds like another forum just a few years ago lol 😛 And people calling McNaab a 2nd tier qb please name me all these qbs that are better and won as much as he did with so little. All the guy does is win and not throw INTs.

"dhazer" wrote:

First tier quarterbacks: Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre in prime, Starr, Unitas, Kurt Warner, Staubach, et al.

First tier = put team on shoulders and carry it.

McNabb is not in that category. He's good. He's a bona fide NFL starter. He's not He's not top tier. Ergo he's second tier.

He's closer to Trent Green than he is to Brett Favre.

Second tier.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Nailed it.. +1

And this little thing about McNabb not having weapons.. the past couple years he has had plenty of weapons will the same result.

I reiterate that he doesn't have "it".. much like Cutler in Chitown.. loads of talent but fails to breath life into the pressure situations.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dhazer
14 years ago

I've read posts by Eagles fans indicating they're glad to see McNabb go, because now they won't have to continue to watch balls being thrown at the receivers' feet or behind the running backs. I'm not sure I buy it.

"pack93z" wrote:

Sounds like another forum just a few years ago lol 😛 And people calling McNaab a 2nd tier qb please name me all these qbs that are better and won as much as he did with so little. All the guy does is win and not throw INTs.

"Wade" wrote:

First tier quarterbacks: Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre in prime, Starr, Unitas, Kurt Warner, Staubach, et al.

First tier = put team on shoulders and carry it.

McNabb is not in that category. He's good. He's a bona fide NFL starter. He's not He's not top tier. Ergo he's second tier.

He's closer to Trent Green than he is to Brett Favre.

Second tier.

"dhazer" wrote:

Nailed it.. +1

And this little thing about McNabb not having weapons.. the past couple years he has had plenty of weapons will the same result.

I reiterate that he doesn't have "it".. much like Cutler in Chitown.. loads of talent but fails to breath life into the pressure situations.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Please please name all these weapons he has had? Name a wr from the Eagles from the past 8 years that was great besides TO. So you say he can't carry is a team is BS hes been doing it all his career.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Name the weapons hey... okay.. I am game.

Brian Westbrook - Maybe the best receiving back in the game for his career.
DeSean Jackson
LJ Smith
Jeremy Maclin
LeSean McCoy
Brent Celek
Kevin Curtis - Albeit injuries zapped him the past two season.

Simply put... the claim that he hasn't had the tools is marginal at best.. why has he only completed what 59% of his passes over the past 5 seasons..

Over-rated, very classy gent, but overrated on the field.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Name the weapons hey... okay.. I am game.

DeSean Jackson
LJ Smith
Jeremy Maclin
LeSean McCoy
Brent Celek

Simply put... the claim that he hasn't had the tools is marginal at best.. why has he only completed what 59% of his passes over the past 5 seasons..

Over-rated, very classy gent, but overrated on the field.

"pack93z" wrote:

Look at his stats and look at the differences between last year and the rest of his career. His QB rating went up bigtime when he finally got someone else to throw to than Westbrook. He had just 1 - 2 years with elite weapons in Maclin, Jackson and Celek

Problem is, his defense and running game declined last year.

We'll see what Shanahan can do with him. The QB guru of all QB gurus.

Btw, an interview with McNabb and Eisen showing his awesomeness again. 
Pack93z
14 years ago
Yet.. with all those options.. he managed zero TD's in the playoff game before the second garbage time TD. Vick delivered the first TD.

My point is.. he fails in the pressure games.. solid QB.. just lacks it when the chips are down. But he sure can vomit a storm up in them though.
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Good lord, I'm agreeing with Hazer again.

McNabb is an almost criminally underrated QB and leader on the field. Let's look at 93z's list:

**True. Guy was hurt a lot, but he was one of the best.**
DeSean Jackson
**The kid was just in his 2nd year last season and just getting it**
LJ Smith
**Over-rated, IMO, but that's a matter of opinion**
Jeremy Maclin
**Rookie in 2009**
LeSean McCoy
**Rookie in 2009**
Brent Celek
**Only came into his own in 2009**
**Great receiver, was hurt most of the time he was w/ the Eagles**

Last year, his first with the compliment of Jackson, Maclin, and Celek, the Eagles set offensive records, and the only team more dangerous than them was New Orleans.

Prior to that, and with the exception of the one good year with T.O., McNabb has had little more than average-to-decent receivers to work with. Looking at his numbers, the only other QBs to match his passing and rushing yards totals are in the H.O.F. He kept the Eagles at or near the top of the division for nearly his entire tenure.

He could well be bound for the H.O.F., and if Shanahan has the sense to get some OL talent in there, Washington could be a real threat very soon. Now, Kolb could be ready to play and the Eagles could be a great young team as well - I'm not saying the Eagles were wrong to make the move. I don't get the idea that McNabb lacks much more than luck or circumstance, though. He's a hell of a QB.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
My argument is not that McNabb isn't a good QB... I will admit that he is... but repeatedly over his career.. he has folded like a cheap suit in the crunch.

Look at week 17 last season or the playoff loss.. wins a ton of games in the regular season and fades away in the clutch.

Not once.. twice or three times.. need both hands to tally them up.

I remain unconvinced that he can win it with the chips down.
earthquake
14 years ago
I dont really have an opinion one way or the other on weather he is an "elite" QB, but you cant help but be impressed with some of these stats:

Most consecutive pass completions, 24; vs New York Giants, Nov. 28, 2004; vs Green Bay Packers, Dec. 5, 2004
Least-intercepted quarterback per pass attempt of all time, (4588 attempts-96 interceptions, 2.09%)
Second-best touchdown-to-interception ratio of all time, (209-96, 2.18) behind Tom Brady (217-92, 2.36)
First NFL Quarterback ever to throw for more than 30 touchdowns and fewer than 10 interceptions (2004)
One of six quarterbacks of all time to have over 25,000 passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards (alongside Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Steve McNair, and John Elway)
Currently the third-highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks (83-45-1, .647) behind Peyton Manning (119-59-0, .669) and Tom Brady (88-25-0, .779)
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

My argument is not that McNabb isn't a good QB... I will admit that he is... but repeatedly over his career.. he has folded like a cheap suit in the crunch.

Look at week 17 last season or the playoff loss.. wins a ton of games in the regular season and fades away in the clutch.

Not once.. twice or three times.. need both hands to tally them up.

I remain unconvinced that he can win it with the chips down.

"pack93z" wrote:

All fair assessments - I'll just point out that the same (or a similar) argument can be said about so many great QBs. Marino - never got a ring. Elway - took until he got Shanny and his run game to get him there. Favre - chokes in the clutch. Etcetera. I don't dispute your burden of evidence (the fact is that he hasn't won the big one*), I'm just saying it applies to a lot of guys who are still considered to be greats at their positions.

One other point about last season's collapse - I'm not absolving McNabb entirely, but I watched both games and the 'Boys owned the line of scrimmage. He was getting utterly hounded for the entirety of both games. He deserves his slice of blame, but that was a total-team letdown in both cases.

*though I'll echo La Canfora's statement, here - he's most certainly won a lot of big games, albeit not "THE" big game.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

One other point about last season's collapse - I'm not absolving McNabb entirely, but I watched both games and the 'Boys owned the line of scrimmage. He was getting utterly hounded for the entirety of both games. He deserves his slice of blame, but that was a total-team letdown in both cases.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I agree that the same thing can be said for many a QB.. no doubt.

But the above is another faction of my point.. the same statement can be made in reverse when arguing that he carried the club for his career.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (7h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (23h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (23h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.