mi_keys
14 years ago

The Packers seemed to think that with a better D-Line they could improve both the D-Line and Linebacker positions because of how they affect each other on the field.

"djcubez" wrote:

When I stopped to think about the Mike Neal pick this is what I came up on. He seems to be a pass rushing DT so maybe he can turn into a 3-4 defensive end that generates pass rush himself or eats up so many blockers that the blitzing linebackers become more effective. I still wanted an OLB and I'm happy to see they're taking a look at I think 3 so far from the UDFA pool, but Neal might prove to be--at least from the media and fan point of view--the less obvious way of improving our pass rush. At least I hope so.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Dulak
14 years ago

The Packers seemed to think that with a better D-Line they could improve both the D-Line and Linebacker positions because of how they affect each other on the field.

"mi_keys" wrote:

When I stopped to think about the Mike Neal pick this is what I came up on. He seems to be a pass rushing DT so maybe he can turn into a 3-4 defensive end that generates pass rush himself or eats up so many blockers that the blitzing linebackers become more effective.

"djcubez" wrote:

thats exactly the way he is described ... a 3-4 DE and powerful at the point of attack (if I remember correctly). Should be cool to see him work. Can mix it up with our regulars.
Pack93z
14 years ago
I watch a ton of Big Ten football.. yeah Wisconsin.. anyway.. over the past couple years got to see this kid play a couple of times.

First thing that comes to mind... is that he flashed strong play at times.. second thought.. he often disappeared for great lengths of time.

In one word.. inconsistent. I understand the pick.. I like the pick.. but he has some work to do. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago

I hate how everyone keeps saying we needed a CB and OLB in this draft. While I see the need at CB we have Blackmon, Harris and Lee coming off of IR with Bush, Woodson, Bell, Underwood and Williams already on the roster. 8 CB's is pretty good competition for TC, although another young CB wouldn't have hurt.

OLB is more pressing. The Packers seemed to think that with a better D-Line they could improve both the D-Line and Linebacker positions because of how they affect each other on the field.

"djcubez" wrote:

When people bitch about the Neal pick and say we needed OLB, ask them to check when the next 3-4 OLB was drafted after our 2nd.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
If Neal is good enough to get into the rotation at DE, which is what we drafted him as/for, it will pay huge dividends by allowing Pickett and Raji to alternate and keep each other fresh. If he is a better pass rusher than what we already have, it will be "frosting on the cake".
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Greg C.
14 years ago
Considering that both Mike Montgomery and Darius Wynn were in the rotation last year, I'm hoping that Neal is a significant upgrade. And I do remember Wynn showing some flashes in the preseason last year, so he may be a player to look out for in 2010. Neal could push Jenkins and Jolly too, if he's good.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
Logged for possible future reference. ;)

http://profootball.scout.com/2/966788.html?refid=400 

Worst Second Round Pick

Mike Neal, DT, Purdue (drafted by Green Bay, 56th overall)

The selection of Mike Neal in the second round was surprising. I understand that the Green Bay Packers preferred a defensive lineman who could play the three-technique, rather than a nose tackle like Alabamas Terrence Cody, who was selected by the Baltimore Ravens with the ensuing pick. But to take Neal, a player that was considered at best a fourth round pick, in the second frame was a reach. Personally, I would have rather seen the Packers select a prototypical 3-4 defensive end like Arkansas States Alex Carrington, who was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the third round, 72nd overall.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Torrell Troup, Montario Hardesty.... We'll see how Neal stacks up to them in 3 years. One is a NT who the Bills reached for. Big time. The other is an injury prone RB for the Browns.

The problem is, this was a potential pick. This can go either way. Real boom or bust. I like the pick, even if he doesn't work out, because we're in a position that we can take players like this on the d-line. I can imagine that you don't like the player, but I don't see why this was such horrible a pick.
Greg C.
14 years ago
I did a little google research for the heck of it:

Alex Carrington draft projections:

Sideline Scouting: 3rd round
College Football News: 3rd round
NFL Football Picks: fringe 2nd rounder
The RX Forum: mid-2nd to early 3rd round
RookieDraft.com: 3rd/4th round
Consensus Draft Services: 7th round (!)
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: 3rd round

Mike Neal draft projections:

Sideline Scouting: 4th round
College Football News: 4th round
RookieDraft.com: 5th round
Sports Illustrated: 4th round
Consensus Draft Services: 5th round

Okay, that's enough for now. The bottom line is that there will be a whole lot of "I told you so's if Neal does not work out.

The best I can say in Ted Thompson's defense is that players who switch positions from college to pro tend to get underrated in draft projections. In this case, the writers were mostly looking at Neal's value as a DT rather than as a 3-4 DE.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
From another board :

Let me preface this by saying I have no credible evidence, other than reading what his coaches have said, and watching old film. With all that being said I think that Neal will all have us saying "Who the FU**K was Jolly? by the end of the season.

He isn't a flashy stats guy, he didn't rack-up a ton of tackles in college @ Purdue because teams almost always ran plays away from him. What he did do was dominate entire sides of the line. His big wrap from scouts was that he faded way too much late in games. He started as a legit. late 1st. rounder, but fell because of the "fading" tag put on him. It wasn't till a few weeks before the draft that his coach came-out and told reporters to look at video and check his snap counts....the kid played virtually every down switching back and forth between DT & DE, usually facing double teams while all along starting on special teams as well.

A crazy game was against Michigan St. He hardly got any tackles himself, but look at him collapsing his side of the line with consistent double teams and ridiculously blatant holding by the offensive lineman. There are two plays that stand-out where he is literally "dragging" O-linemen holding on to the back of his jersey for dear life. I think he'll definatley make an impact sooner than later.

"pjschultze30" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.