Zero2Cool
14 years ago
(from Philadelphia for our 3rd (86th) and our 4th (122nd)

[align=center]Morgan Burnett | Safety | Georgia Tech | 6'1" - 209 lbs. [/align] 

OVERVIEW
Perhaps not even the famed Willie Sutton was as good as a thief as Burnett has become. He seems like a natural playing centerfield for the Yellow Jackets, roaming the field like Willie Mays did on the baseball diamond. He appears to have hands made of Velcro, as he has proven that he can not only elevate to snatch the ball at its high point, but he has also become a crowd pleaser for his acrobatic moves to secure the pigskin.

Only one other player in Georgia Tech history, Willie Clay (16, 1988-91) had produced more interceptions than Burnett has (14), and it took Clay four years to do what the junior has done in three - create weekly nightmares for opposing quarterbacks and offensive coordinators.

Before someone assumes that Burnett is just a ball-hawk, they need to look at his statistical chart. They will see that he not only ranked with the team leaders in tackles each of his three seasons at the university, but the Tech record books show only seven other defensive backs in the history of the program registering more than his 235 career tackles, which was just 38 off the pace of the Yellow Jackets' position record.

Playing football seems to be a birthright in his family. Older brother, Cam, starred for in-state rivals, Georgia, from 1998-2002 and his cousin, Bruce Thornton, was also a star defensive back for the Bulldogs (1999-2003) before going on to play for Dallas and Jacksonville in the National Football League.

With those lofty figures attained by Burnett, it only seemed logical that he would try to test his skills at the next level, doing so when he decided to forgo his senior year and enter the 2010 NFL Draft.

"During the season, I didn't get caught up in whether I wanted to leave or not. I was just thinking championship, championship," Burnett said. "I didn't want to get into my thought process until after the Orange Bowl. I felt at peace with my decision. I felt confident with my decision."

Burnett was rated a four-star prospect by Rivals.com during his senior year at North Clayton High School. He earned Class AAAA first-team All-State accolades as a defensive back that season, after receiving All-State honorable mention at quarterback as a sophomore. He was rated the seventh-best safety in the country by Rivals.com and Super Prep regarded him as the state's fifth-best prospect.

A member of the Super 11 squad selected by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which also put him on its Top 50 in Georgia list, Burnett added Georgia Top 50 honors from the Macon Telegraph and was part of Orlando Sentinel's All-Southern team. The four-year starter and three-time team captain added Defensive Player of the Year honors for Clayton/Henry Counties in 2006.

Burnett recorded 135 tackles as a senior and registered six interceptions, including three that he returned for touchdowns. He also gained 1,100 yards rushing, 875 yards receiving and 650 yards passing. He collected 101 tackles and five interceptions (one touchdown) as a junior, as well as totaling 950 yards rushing, 800 yards passing and 620 yards receiving.

Burnett saw considerable action as a true freshman at Georgia Tech in 2007. The Fresh-man All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick played in all thirteen games, subbing at both safety positions whole seeing action at nickel back. His only starting assignment came when he was shifted to left cornerback vs. North Carolina. He finished fifth on the team with 57 tackles (37 solos), including a sack, as he picked off three passes and deflected seven others.

As a sophomore, Burnett was named All-American second-team and All-ACC first-team, as he led the conference and tied for third in the nation with seven interceptions, returning one for a touchdown. He started all thirteen games at rover, leading the team with a career-high 93 tackles (62 solos), adding seven stops for loss. He also broke up eight passes and even had one rushing attempt, coming vs. Gardner-Webb.

Offensive coordinators game-planned to stay far away from Burnett's territory in 2009, but the second-team All-ACC choice still managed to come up with four interceptions. He also broke up four passes and made four of his 85 tackles (second on the team) behind the line of scrimmage.

CAREER NOTES
Burnett started 28-of-40 games at Georgia Tech - 27 at "Rover" and one at left cornerback, recording 235 tackles (147 solos) with an 8-yard sack and 13.5 stops for losses of 40 yards...Caused and recovered two fumbles, as he also blocked a kick and carried once for a 1-yard gain...Deflected nineteen passes and intercepted fourteen others for 135 yards in returns (9.64 avg)...Returned one of his fumble recoveries 26 yards...His fourteen pass thefts are topped by only Willie Clay's sixteen (1988-91) on the school career-record list... His seven interceptions in 2008 are surpassed by only Jeff Ford (nine in 1969), Willie Clay (nine in 1991) and Randy Rhino (eight in 1972) on Tech's season-record chart...Came up with multiple interceptions in three contests (North Carolina in 2009, Jacksonville State and Clemson in 2008)...Recorded 235 tackles for the Yellow Jackets, as just Jeremy Muyres (273, 1999-02), Ken Swilling (267, 1988-91), Dawan Landry (250, 2002-05), Mark Sheffield (244, 1979-82), James Butler (240, 2001-04), Lethon Flowers (238, 1991-94) and Travares Tillman (236, 1996-99) had more among the defensive backs who played for Georgia Tech...His 93 tackles in 2008 rank tenth on the school's season-record list for defensive backs and were the most by a Yellow Jacket defensive back since James Butler posted 119 hits in 2003.

2009 SEASON
All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team selection by The NFL Draft Report and the league's coaches...Named ACC Player of the Week vs. North Carolina...Served as one of the team's three captains...Started all fourteen games at the rover position, finishing second on the squad with 85 tackles (48 solos), including four stops for losses of 11 yards...Caused and recovered a fumble...Deflected four passes and had four interceptions for 40 yards in returns...Also blocked a kick...Of his 85 tackles, 17 came on third-down snaps (nine vs. the run, eight vs. the pass) and three others were on fourth-down action... Proved to be the team's last line of defense, as he delivered fourteen of those hits inside the red zone, including four on goal-line plays...In addition to his eight passes defended, he rerouted/jammed receivers on eight other pass attempts.

2008 SEASON
All-American first-team selection by Pro Football Weekly, adding second-team honors from The NFL Draft Report, Rivals.com, Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News...All-ACC first-team pick...Started all thirteen games at the rover position, as the College Football News Sophomore All-American led the team with a career-high 93 tackles (62 solos), making seven of those stops behind the line of scrimmage...Caused a fumble and deflected eight passes...Led the conference and ranked third in the nation with seven interceptions for 95 yards in returns, including one touchdown...His seven pass thefts rank fourth on the school season-record list...Ranked 18th in the nation with fifteen passes defended...Also got to carry the ball once, good for a 1-yard gain vs. Gardner-Webb.

2007 SEASON
Freshman All-American and All-ACC pick by The Sporting News...Played in all thirteen games as a reserve at both safety positions, but earned his only starting assignment at left cornerback vs. North Carolina...Recorded 57 tackles (37 solos) with an 8-yard sack and 2.5 stops for losses of 11 yards...Intercepted three passes and deflected seven others...Also recovered a fumble.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.54 in the 40-yard dash...1.57 10-yard dash...2.62 20-yard dash...4.31 20-yard shuttle... 7.12 three-cone drill...34-inch vertical jump...9'6" broad jump...Bench pressed 225 pounds 16 times...31 3/4-inch arm length...9-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended North Clayton (Ga.) High School, playing football for head coach Don Shockley... Rated a four-star prospect by Rivals.com during his senior year...Earned Class AAAA first-team All-State accolades as a defensive back that season, after receiving All-State honorable mention at quarterback as a sophomore...Rated the seventh-best safety in the country by Rivals.com and Super Prep regarded him as the state's fifth-best prospect...A member of the Super 11 squad selected by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which also put him on its Top 50 in Georgia list, Burnett added Georgia Top 50 honors from the Macon Telegraph and was part of Orlando Sentinel's All-Southern team...The four-year starter and three-time team captain added Defensive Player of the Year honors for Clayton/Henry Counties in 2006...Recorded 135 tackles as a senior and registered six interceptions, including three that he returned for touchdowns...Also gained 1,100 yards rushing, 875 yards receiving and 650 yards passing...Collected 101 tackles and five interceptions (one touchdown) as a junior, as well as totaling 950 yards rushing, 800 yards passing and 620 yards receiving.

PERSONAL
Management major...Older brother, Cam, starred for in-state rivals, Georgia, from 1998-2002 and his cousin, Bruce Thornton, was also a star defensive back for the Bulldogs (1999-2003) before going on to play for Dallas and Jacksonville in the National Football League...Son of Ellary and Cap Burnett...Born Morgan Mark Burnett ...Resides in College Park, Georgia.

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Extremely happy with this pick. I wanted him when we took Neal, but I'm happy that we traded back up for him.

Good value, IMO.

Now we need to solve the OLB problem.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
I'm happy with this pick as well.
I think he can push Bigby for the starting job.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I love the pick. He gives us everything that Bigby doesn't. Although he does take something away, as well.

We don't need an in the box safety, though. Not with our system, our D-line and the way our LBs play the run. We need to stop the pass. And he'll help us.
DakotaT
14 years ago
I said last night that none of our picks will be handed a job, well, time to eat my words (won't be the first time). We finally have our center fielder and it will free up Collins to do all the things he' capable of.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
Wante Nate Allen, but Burnett was next in line. Nice pick.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
rabidgopher04
14 years ago
He's definitely got the hair to be a nice fit in our secondary.

UserPostedImage
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
istanbulpacker
14 years ago

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

LOL> I was just logging on to say the same thing. It must be part of the Packers secret combine checklist:

Secondary--must have dreds
O Line--big white guys preferred
blank
tromadz
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

I'm sold now.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (37m) : damn those vikings
beast (59m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (1h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (1h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (1h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (8h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.