Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
What's your take?

Oh, and for those who don't know about it.. The new measure, signed into law by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on April 23, requires immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there is reason to suspect they are in the United States illegally. The measure also makes it a state crime to live in or travel through Arizona illegally.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
I don't see anything wrong with it. And i think all Americans shouldn't see anything wrong with it. Today's world is nasty. We need to protect our borders. So far, we have done a LOUSY job of it. You think terrorists don't know that?
If people would just enter the country LEGALLY, there would be no need for this kind of law, would there?
And if you DID enter legally, or are a citizen here that is stopped, why would you feel bad for them doing their job?
The people that are making a stink about it either are here illegally, or have family or friends here that are illegal. OR they want to be "politically correct" and want to gain the votes/favor of the illegals.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
For equality reasons, they should've made any- and everyone just carry something you can identify yourself with.

Problem you're facing then is that people will start complaining about freedoms.

You lose in every way.
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I agree.

The only issue I have is this though. You know that there'll be A LOT of profiling. Which is fine and dandy, until you are the one that's being stopped multiple times a week. After awhile it gets old. Even if you are 100% legal. Is it a necessary 'evil'? I think it is.

Especially considering the drug highway that runs through Arizona's deserts. Too many times our border police has had to turn their backs on known illegals because of nonproof.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
That's true, Rock. But with the amount of illegals we have here, SOMETHING needs to be done.
If i get pulled over by the cops for something, i have to produce an I.D.
So why should people down there feel like they are being picked on? It's a border state. If they get more strict on border states, we won't have the illegals problem.
The reason we have the problem now is that we were weak on enforcing for way too long.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I'm white and fairly affluent so I don't have a problem with it at all. :wave:

It would be easier if we could get the legal immigrants to wear some kind of patch so that the cops wouldn't need to stop them, and could focus on the illegals.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I'm white and fairly affluent so I don't have a problem with it at all. :wave:

It would be easier if we could get the legal immigrants to wear some kind of patch so that the cops wouldn't need to stop them, and could focus on the illegals.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Ooooooh.

Like I said, whatever you do here, people will complain. I think that something should've been done that was equal for everyone. Not just people that "look like they might be immigrants". Problem is, you'll have thousands of people complaining about their freedoms as an American.
Dulak
14 years ago
IMO this is a VERY good thing ...

its funny I seen all the hispanics in arizona complaining and demonstrating and the mexican president complaining and even our president frowning upon this ... but I also found it quite interesting none of the political candidates wanted to tackle the immigration problems <<< Im going to have to assume this is because neither one wanted to lose votes.

again IMO the immigration policy in the states just plane sucks ...

basically its going to be more and more f'ed up the longer people ignore the problems.

3 simple things need to be done
1. only allow a certain amount in and those that are in and that are productive to society then have a plan to get their greencard or wtfe
(ya Im in england atm and if I dont work I get deported plane and simple and my visa is tied to my job - err I wont go into the 10billion other peeps here that dont need to work etc to be here but thats a whole nother story).

2. get the peeps out that are here illegally and keep people from coming in illegally - bigger fences; paid security etc etc dont care how they do it. Heck put tanks on the border if need be; seeing how there are 20+ million illegals in the states and they keep coming in.

3. the people that are here legally should be paid a fare wage - none of this bs with paying under the table and for cheap labor or taking advantage of people.

as you can see Im quite passionate about this issue - if I have a son or daughter someday and I move back to the states I really want this handled.
Cheesey
14 years ago
+1 Dulak.
The fact that this problem was ignored for so long is why we are where we are today.
Had the people in government had the BALLS to do something about illegal immigration long ago, there would be no need for drastic measures now. They dropped the ball.
Too many politicians didn't want to take on the problem, for fear of pissing off certain groups.
So they did nothing.
Now we pay for it.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
I believe the federal immigration laws require immigrants to carry papers at all times as well...please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I am all for this law. The Federal government has completely ignored its primary duty to control our borders, thus, the states most affected by ilegal immigration...and the costs and crime that come with it....must act in their own best interests.

To my understanding, the law does nothing but allow the state to enforce federal immigration laws already on the books. And, lost in all the ranting, is the fact that they will not be pulling random people off the street and ask/demand for papers. Inquiring for papers will be done when people encounter law enforcement for other matters....traffic law violations, domestic disturbances, etc.

It is about fucking time someone got serious about the integrity of our borders...clearly, it has not and will not be the Feds.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"