Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Web Page Name 

Surely, Kelley Earnhardt would say that the 1998 Daytona 500 was the most memorable of all her father's wins.

After all, Dale Earnhardt had tried his hand in NASCAR's biggest race 19 times before, and 19 times, he'd wound up short. For him to finally come out on top was something bigger than the sport itself. He was congratulated by members of virtually every crew on pit road and then became the first of many to cut a celebratory donut in the infield -- and maybe the last to do so spontaneously.

To this day, more than a decade later, the 1998 Daytona 500 ranks as one of the greatest races in NASCAR history.

So the event would have to be her favorite, right? Nope. She wasn't there and she can't really even remember what she was doing when he finally won the race. When asked which win stood out for her, the answer speaks volumes about Kelley Earnhardt's relationship with her dad.

She wasn't sure of the year, just that her dad had won the All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway and they were able to spend some time together afterward. That's what counted. That's what made the night special.

"Although [the 1998 Daytona 500] was a huge accomplishment for my dad and something that he worked for year after year, I'm going to go back to one of his [All-Star] wins," said Kelley, Earnhardt's second child and his oldest daughter. "It was just really cool, because all of my family was there. We were in the condo watching. Taylor [her youngest sister] was there, and I know Dale Jr. was there.

"Charlotte was really cool for us because we would go to the condo, watch the races and hang out as a family with my grandma, aunts and Teresa [Earnhardt, Kelley's stepmother]. That particular one, we all got to go down to Victory Lane. That was really special to me. My dad was just in an awesome mood from winning. It was just one of those few times we actually got to be together after a win and really hang out together. That didn't happen a lot." (Continued)

There seemed to be at least two different sides to Dale Earnhardt. One was the good ol' country boy who picked himself up by the seat of his pants to make something of himself, but the other was tougher than scrap iron and as hard to get to know. Most who came in contact with him on a regular basis remember "the stare," that gaze that seemed able to melt steel.

The stare had a way of shaking those unprepared for it to their very foundation. Kelley knew it well.

"In my dealings with him as a daughter, I experienced that," Kelley said. "You always wanted to do right, because you knew doing wrong, the consequences were bad. This is not what I think my dad was trying to do, this is how I interpreted it for me -- he wanted to make you the best person that he could, so he made you work as hard as he could to accomplish whatever it was you were trying to do."

Among many NASCAR fans, Dale Earnhardt inspires an almost religious fervor. Some of it was the way he rose through the ranks in the mid-70s, becoming the sport's ultimate rags-to-riches story along the way. Certainly, the passion Earnhardt invokes is due in large part to the way he raced. There have always been drivers who took no prisoners on the race track, and then there was Earnhardt, whose style was something even more than that. And, yes, some of it is due to the way he died -- that iconic, James Dean-style, the ultimate-hero-gone-too-soon tragedy.

That was not Kelley's father, not all the time.

At the same time, there are followers of the sport who to this day consider Dale Earnhardt a low-down, dirty, no-good S.O.B. Mention the 1987 All-Star Race to a hardcore Bill Elliott or Geoff Bodine fan, and the sparks are going to fly. Earnhardt went after that particular checkered flag like a bull in a china shop, with little or no finesse involved.

That was not Kelley's father either, not all the time.

"My dad was just as intimidating to me as a daughter as I think he was to so many people in racing," Kelley said. "I live my life to try not to do anything different than either what he said to do or what I thought he would do in that situation. I really looked up to him, because he just always knew how to come out good on a situation. I held him on a pedestal, to make sure everything I did in my life was something he would approve of."

That Kelley found her father "intimidating" isn't to say that she was afraid of the man. According to her, he just was just "right" 99 percent of the time. That is the example she's trying to follow, the high standard that he set for his children.

"He just made sense, all the time," Kelley said. "You would do something and he was like, 'Why the hell did you do it that way?' First, I didn't do it the way he thought because I didn't think of it. Then after he would point it out to you, you'd go, 'Yeah, that would've made sense.' He was full of a lot of guidance from that standpoint."

While growing up, Kelley spent a lot of time away from her father. He didn't send her off to the prom, snapping photos and worrying like any proud papa. The Earnhardts didn't come home at 5 p.m. and sit around their dinner table, discussing their day. There are no "normal" vacations to remember -- vacations for Kelley and Dale Jr. were heading to Disney World while their dad raced at Daytona.

Life as an Earnhardt seems as far from Leave it to Beaver as it could possibly be. If there's one misconception Kelley would like to correct, it's probably this one: Paris Hilton, she was not.

"We weren't handed things on a silver platter," Kelley admitted. "We worked really hard. We didn't work inside his business to where we just got a paycheck and didn't have to come to work. ... Report-card time, if you didn't have As and Bs, you were in trouble. That was expected. I didn't get extra for having As.

"With my daughter, I'm like, 'Oh, gosh ... you're on the honor roll. You deserve something for that, because you've worked hard.' That wasn't the situation with us. The situation was, 'You're expected to be on the honor roll. That's the standard I set for you. No ... you don't get anything extra for it, because that's what you should be doing.'"

As co-owner and general manager of JR Motorsports, Kelley tries to maintain the common-sense approach to business that she learned from her father. Although Dale Earnhardt dropped out of school to pursue his dreams of driving a race car, he more than made up for it with an almost unnerving amount of street smarts.

That was Kelley's father.

"I think I have a lot of my dad's street smarts," Kelley said. "So many will attest that in doing business with him, he might not always have been the smartest from a book-smart standpoint, but he had common sense that would just kill you. I think I have a lot of that from him, being able to look outside the norm and think through different ways of doing something.

"He was a hell of a negotiator, but at the end of the day, he was very fair. He never wanted to get into a situation that may have been the best for him, but it wasn't going to work out for the person on the other end. He didn't want that kind of reputation. That's the approach I take. When you're doing business with someone, it needs to be a win-win because if it doesn't work out for one party, you're going to be able to carry that business forward."

UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
I don't understand this whole rich parents not giving money to children concept.

It screams to me an inability of the parent to instill a sense of fiscal responsibility and work ethic from a young age. Ok sure, some children are just incapable of understanding or valuing money. But I hardly think forcing them to live a difficult life where the thought of mortgage repayments and credit rating is always in the back of their head somehow benefits them. Although ostensibly I am very materialistic, I don't think the purpose in life is to make money or live a luxurious life for yourself, but rather to ensure that your children, and their children and your parents, do.

I intend to give my (currently non-existant) children the best possible advantages in life, which is why I've placed myself in the position I am today. God knows it's difficult enough to survive to old age without trying to live on a pittance.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15m) : damn those vikings
beast (37m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (43m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (44m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (44m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (45m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (8h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (8h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.