jdog2
13 years ago
I find it funny that Greg was like yeah they are going to pick on you. For some reason it was made me laugh.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Charles gets cooler every year.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
rodgehodge
13 years ago

This might be minor, or not even worth mentioning, but like always, I am anyway.

Sam approached Charles Woodson and asked him to watch film with him so he could study how Charles does.

Nick Collins did this same thing and the following season he was getting interceptions and voted to the Pro Bowl.

"pack93z" wrote:

It might not be that much of an immediate help for Shields.. but according to many, Woodson is an excellent film study... so any traits that the youngster can pick up and ingrain into his prep work will pay off eventually.

I don't consider it minor that he asked and Charles willingly accepted... it can only lead to go things as a young player.

+1

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I think that says a lot about Shields' ethic. He may be raw but it's obvious that he's really working hard to be a key member of this team. I'm not expecting too much from him this year, but I desperately hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Bush.

Plus my man-love for Charles Woodson grows exponentially every time I hear pretty much anything about him.
blank
nerdmann
13 years ago
Reminds me of how Donald Driver started out, as a raw track guy with guys like Charles Lee and what was that other dude's name? Speedster. Another track guy. But DD put in the time and effort and became an all time team leader. Be nice if Shields could rise to even close to that level.

Corey Bradford!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
Not that this pertains to the topic but Sam Shields is 97 spd in madden 11 🙂
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
beast
13 years ago

Not that this pertains to the topic but Sam Shields is 97 spd in madden 11 :)

"Finley88Beast" wrote:

man he's underrated... no respect at all ... totally should be a 99 :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago
GBPG- Copeland on Shields 

Green Bay Packers coaching staff impressed with rapid rise of cornerback Sam Shields
By Kareem Copeland kcopeland@greenbaypressgazette.com November 11, 2010

Three months ago Sam Shields was an undrafted rookie who couldnt catch and whose best attribute was the ability to run fast. He couldnt hold onto punts or kickoffs and had played cornerback for less than a year.

Nine weeks into the 2010 NFL season, Shields play gave the Green Bay Packers the flexibility to cut a two-time Pro Bowler.

Thats an awfully rapid ascension for a 22-year-old.

Back in training camp I know everybody was concerned about going into the season with Sam Shields and where wed be, defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. Not many people knew who Sam Shields was, and I didnt know much about Sam Shields.

Packers fans certainly know who Shields is now that the franchise released cornerback Al Harris, who started 102 games for the team since 2003. Harris needed major reconstruction surgery after a complete blowout of the left knee in Week 11 of the 2009 season. The Packers placed him on the physically unable to perform list before the regular season began and he didnt return to practice until Oct. 19.

Meanwhile, Shields climbed the depth chart during training camp and started the season as the teams nickel back a job he has yet to relinquish.

The Packers cut Harris on Monday and coach Mike McCarthy explained the move was in the best interest of the big-picture plans of the team. Shields has become a huge part of the painting.

Cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt said he never expected Shields to transition so quickly.

When we first got him, he didnt understand coverages, Whitt said. Just base coverages and base techniques. Now hes a defensive back. Hes not a receiver playing defensive back.

Its a credit to that young man because he came in here and he does not act like a rookie. He acts like a guy whos been in the league 3-4 years. He doesnt know defense very well yet, but hes learning. Hes a mature man thats taking a professional approach at his game and his profession.

The Packers havent gone out of their way to hide the rookie in the defensive scheme, and Shields has come out on the positive end more often than not. He locked down Lee Evans in a 34-7 win against the Buffalo Bills. Shields picked off the first pass of his nine-game career in the 45-7 rout of the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. He pinned Miles Austin to the left sideline on a deep ball and made a one-armed grab with his right hand the wrong hand.

Other than catching it with the wrong hand, he played it perfectly, Whitt said. Its just impossible to catch a ball like that, which he did. You would think you catch it with your stop hand. Its just really a splash play.

When the ball went up, I said, OK, hes in good position. Wow, he caught the ball. It was amazing to me.

Shields made his second splash play of the game with a 49-yard kickoff return to open the second half. The Packers envisioned Shields as a kickoff and punt returner because of his 4.2 second 40-yard speed, but he couldnt hold onto the ball.

That was way back, Shields said. Each week Ive gotten better and better.

Jordy Nelson and Pat Lee handled the kickoff return duties, but Shields continued to periodically work on it in practice. The coaching staff turned to Shields last week with Lee (ankle strain) and Donald Driver (quad) inactive. Nelson had an increased role on offense with Driver out, so continuing to use him in the return game would have been a risk.

Shields has taken extra reps catching the ball. Special teams coach Shawn Slocum cited other speedy returners across the NFC North Devin Hester (Chicago), Percy Harvin (Minnesota), Stefan Logan (Detroit) as examples of how a dynamic returner can flip field position and change a game. He hopes Shields can be a similar threat.

If I was getting ready to play us, Id be scared to death of him, Slocum said. We have seen the speed since the day he got here, and speed kills. Well see. He needs to prove it. Its one big play. As we move forward hell get more opportunities, and now what he needs to do is go score. Its that simple.

I told him before the game, you need to do three things. No. 1, I want you to catch the ball first. No. 2, I want you to run fast. And No. 3, I want you to make sure you jump high enough on the Lambeau Leap.

The Packers havent had a kickoff returned for a score since 2000 when Allen Rossum ran one back against Indianapolis.

Though the Harris move and a strong game against the Cowboys has made Shields a popular topic this week, expectations should be tempered.

Shields is still raw with a limited knowledge of defenses. He has to tackle better and has been beaten in coverage on occasion. Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant snatched a fade over Shields for their lone touchdown.

In his zones, his eyes, hes still poor in that area where he has to read back to front and understand zone drops and Cover-2, said Whitt, who compared Shields to Tramon Williams. Hes gotten better, but hes not where he needs to be so we can trap more balls. His tackling bringing his hips, shooting his arms, putting his hat on the ball. There are areas he can definitely improve and he will improve.

The guys a very conscientious young man. He works hard, he studies film. He wants to be Charles Woodson. He wants to be where those guys are. So, that gives him a chance.

The interception Sunday was just one play for Shields, but it could make a significant difference in his season going forward. Theres no way to know what kind of confidence and trust in his own game Shields will take from the moment. And Capers points out it could alter how opponents challenge the rookie.

Thats a tough position to stick a rookie out there, because everybody knows, it didnt take them long (Sunday) to try to go after him, Capers said. You make a few plays like that and people arent quite as apt to put it up there like that.

When you throw those fade balls, if they think the corner cant catch them theyll throw them all day because the worst thing that can happen is an incompletion. But if you throw them up there and that defensive back has as good a chance as the receiver, then many times they think twice about doing it.

Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Thought I'd check to see if some twit posted the article inside of a thread, instead of its own. Sure enough. Damn twits!

Joking aside, I'm starting to really like Shields. I'm excited to see him as a returner.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (4h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (5h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (21h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.