dfosterf
13 years ago
My draftee-

GBPG - Shields out to prove he's no weakest link 

Green Bay Packers cornerback Sam Shields out to prove he's no weakest link
By Pete Dougherty pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com September 8, 2010

Andy Reid has looked at the preseason game tapes and seen undrafted rookie Sam Shields line up as the Green Bay Packers third cornerback in their nickel defense.

He looks to his own roster at a dangerous group of receivers in wideouts DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, and tight end Brent Celek.

So is there any doubt where the Eagles plan to attack Sunday when the teams meet at Philadelphias Lincoln Financial Field in the regular-season opener?

(Shields) understands how the league works, Packers receiver Greg Jennings said. He knows he has (cornerback) Tramon Williams on the other side, and nobody wants to pick on (Charles Woodson). So hes the guy thats left.

The only way you can approach it is thats more opportunities for (Shields) to make plays. As a receiver I shared that with him; theyre going to attack you, its up to you to make plays, youve got to show them, Im not the weakest link, so dont throw my way just because you think (so).

Shields is one of two rookies starting in the Packers secondary, along with third-round draft pick Morgan Burnett. The Eagles probably will target Burnett as well, though hes had the advantage of working as a starter from the first day he joined the team last spring, and is a little easier to protect at safety.

Shields, on the other hand, is more raw than most rookie cornerbacks because he didnt play the position until his senior season at the University of Miami. That helped make him the surprise of the Packers training camp, because despite his brief time at the position, Shields kept make attention-grabbing plays, including several interceptions in practice and two more in the preseason games.

Shields was beaten on his share of plays in camp also, occasionally in bunches. But his playmaking convinced defensive coordinator Dom Capers to move him up from the bottom of the depth charts at the start of camp to the important No. 3 job after second-year pro Brandon Underwood injured his shoulder in the Packers Aug. 26 preseason game against Indianapolis. Underwood is unlikely to play this week.

As the No. 3 cornerback, Shields will play starters minutes last year the Packers used their nickel package on almost 60 percent of their defensive snaps and its a given hell have some bad plays Sunday, whether giving up catches for some first downs or touchdowns, or getting hit with a big penalty or two. Reid will try to get Jackson and Maclin matched against him as much as possible.

Shields charge will be not letting the bad plays break him mentally and inhibit him from making a key drive-ending play or two. Williams, who also entered the league as an undrafted rookie, went through a similar baptism when he became the Packers No. 3 corner in Week 14 in 2007, his first season on the 53-man roster after spending 06 on the Packers practice squad.

From what I saw of (Shields) in the preseason, he made plays, Williams said. The regular season is going to be a different thing, theyre going to find ways to attack. I can remember when I first played nickel, I made plays. When youre young youre still learning things and youre going to give up some plays too, but throughout it all I still made plays.

Shields and Burnett might have caught a break in facing an inexperienced starting quarterback, Kevin Kolb, rather than the man he replaced, 12-year pro Donovan McNabb. Kolb has only two career starts, both last season, though he served a three-year apprenticeship to McNabb to get ready for this season.

But if Kolb might not have a veterans nose for exploiting a rookie to the maximum, the Eagles still have a strong group of receivers.

Jackson is one of the NFLs premier playmakers and tied an NFL record by scoring eight touchdowns of 50 yards or more last season and finished with 12 nine receiving, one rushing and two on punt returns. Maclin caught 55 passes as a rookie last season, and Celek led the team in receptions with 76, including eight touchdowns.

When Shields plays in the nickel, hell normally line up as the left cornerback, with Woodson moving into the slot, where he can be a threat to both cover and blitz. The Eagles often line up No. 3 receiver Jason Avant in the slot, so Woodson will be on him, and Shields could see a good dose of Jackson and Maclin.

My focus is to play ball, play my assignment, play fast, make some plays, Shields said. I cant really think about, Oh, theyre going to keep coming at me because Im a rookie. Im in there with a whole bunch of vets, so Ive got to think like Im a vet.

Burnett will provide help in deep coverage and probably will match up some with Celek.

I look forward to it, Burnett said. Its been a dream of mine since I was young, its finally here now and I look forward to learning and being better from the good and the bad.

Underwood looked like the front-runner for the No. 3 corner job until he got hurt, though hed given up enough completions in preseason games that Shields at least was pushing for the job. Underwood could be a couple of weeks from returning, and if Shields holds up he has a chance to keep the job when Underwood returns. But Shields or Underwood would have to be a revelation to keep the job for long after long-time starter Al Harris is eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list after the sixth game.

When Harris is ready, the Packers probably will ease him back as the No. 3 cornerback, and decide later whether to start him or keep Williams there based on their play.

Either way, the Packers will have played probably seven or eight games before then.

I dont think (Shields) knows (what hes in for) because he hasnt played a real NFL game yet, Williams said. But hell figure it out sooner (rather) than later.

Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Shields came off as he just wanted to 'make the team' to me in pre-season, now it sounds like he wants to be a force on the team.

I like that.
UserPostedImage
RainX
13 years ago
He's going to have some growing pains just like Tramon did early in his career. Going up against the Eagles again no less to boot just like Tramon did back in Week 1 of '07 when Tramon won the nickel job.

A good half dozen teams wanted Shields after the draft as an UDFA so we weren't the only team to see the potential he had. It's always a bit worrisome to throw some of these younger guys out into the fire early, but we're going to have to replace Woodson and/or Harris sooner than later and that could very well be this season for at least one of them. No better way than to put the foot to the fire to see what these guys have in the tank to see if they could be a long term answer at the position.

I'm just hoping going into year two of the 3-4, with a healthy and now more expereinced Matthews and Jone as well as Jenkins on the D-Line, we can generate a more consistent pass rush and take some of the pressure off our young DBs.
blank
bigfog
13 years ago
Sam's not the weakest link - Bush is. By far.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
I think Sam proved to the packer's that he wanted to really make the team im proud of the kid for making this team.To my thinking right now I think he is a surprising player to offenses this year.To were he came from starting out as a undrafted free agent and struggling on kickoffs and punt returns to make the team and keeps improving as a CB each day,I think this guy is a keeper for years to come.Glad we snagged him before other teams did.
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Dulak
13 years ago
Ill be rooting for him in these first few games that underwood wont be playing; wasnt a fan of underwood last year and wouldnt mind it if a better player took his spot at corner.

maybe shields can get some velcro for his hands; then he might be a good KR/PR also.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
This might be minor, or not even worth mentioning, but like always, I am anyway.

Sam approached Charles Woodson and asked him to watch film with him so he could study how Charles does.

Nick Collins did this same thing and the following season he was getting interceptions and voted to the Pro Bowl.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Shields is probably on Avant. If that happens, we won't have to worry about him giving up big plays.
This is a placeholder
Pack93z
13 years ago

This might be minor, or not even worth mentioning, but like always, I am anyway.

Sam approached Charles Woodson and asked him to watch film with him so he could study how Charles does.

Nick Collins did this same thing and the following season he was getting interceptions and voted to the Pro Bowl.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

It might not be that much of an immediate help for Shields.. but according to many, Woodson is an excellent film study... so any traits that the youngster can pick up and ingrain into his prep work will pay off eventually.

I don't consider it minor that he asked and Charles willingly accepted... it can only lead to go things as a young player.

+1
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
The young man shows much maturity and willingness to work, even do extra work to become good. Those things coupled with his natural talent bode well for the future. He was a receiver, so I would think he must not have real bad hands or one would think they would have moved him sooner. Maybe as he gains confidence and becomes more comfortable with the team and the position he might be able to catch and return kicks, at least that's my hope. The one interception he had during preseason where he turned, the ball was right there and he snagged it, was big time. Hopefully, that was an indicator of things to come.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.