mi_keys
13 years ago

After watching last night, I realized this Vikings D is very strange. It seems like they never get interceptions or turnovers. So I looked up last years stats and I also remember seeing an article online for this issue but I cannot find it now. Check this:

Last year, the Vikings only had 11 INTs, 26th in the League. They had ZERO Ints returned for TDs and the Defense only had ONE (a Fumble Recover for TD).

But the Vikings had 49 Sacks, 1st in the League.

This is huge for us. That offense looks horrible right now (although they looked pretty bad last year @ Cleveland too) but it doesn't look like their D will provide any help.

Last night Asher Allen I think it was, dropped a pass Drew Brees threw straight to him.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

There were a couple bad drops by New Orleans last night. The one you mention, if it was Asher Allen or if I'm thinking of the same pass, would have converted a third down. Of course, there was also that dropped TD pass on a drive that amounted to no points.
Born and bred a cheesehead
longtimefan
13 years ago

Still, whatever drooling they did was mild compared to the Favre heyday.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Maybe now people will see the other side of the coin of how annoying the love fest can be.

(if they have a love fest with someone OTHER than Brett)
Pack93z
13 years ago

Still, whatever drooling they did was mild compared to the Favre heyday.

"longtimefan" wrote:

Maybe now people will see the other side of the coin of how annoying the love fest can be.

(if they have a love fest with someone OTHER than Brett)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The lovefest was no different than with Montana.. with Elway... with Marino... with Young... with Aikman... with Manning... with Brady...

It just annoys you more because it has that emotional needle that continues to prick against your passion.. and you amplify it further.

I used to hate Montana for the very same thing.. and Elway.. and...

Every freaking elite QB draws that type of fawning.. part of my discord with the position.

This message is for both extreme ends of the Favre spectrum.. Love or Hate.. he is no different then those before or after.. just your emotions play to it.

Oh BTW.. the Rodgers lovefest is coming.. hell some here and on the national scale are just beginning to fawn upon him.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago

Something else that surprised me was that this game was not the Favrefellation fest I was expecting. Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth did focus overmuch on the quarterbacks, as commentators are wont to do, but all things considered it was a balanced presentation relatively free of hyperbole. This pleased me immensely. Maybe the commentating team (Collinsworth in particular) was subtly dissing Favre, maybe they were instructed to be a little more objective, or maybe (as I hope) Favre's sun is gradually setting. Maybe we're starting to see the beginning of an era in which his name isn't the first word that pops into commentators' mouths the moment they start groping for words.

One can dream, right?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Just wait until the ESPN crew covers a Favre game. Payback is going to be a bitch--for all of us. But yes, now that you mention it, Michaels and Collinsworth were not that bad.

You're right about Favre's facial expression. I've noticed that more and more over the past few years. He doesn't look like he's having a lot of fun. I think football is an addiction for him, rather than something that is truly fun. It's fun when he makes a great play, and he loves the praise and the press conferences, but the actual grind of the game, play-in and play-out, no longer seems to be enjoyable for him.

RedSoxExcel is right about the New Orleans stuff. I get sick of it too, but when a team wins a Super Bowl it's pretty much inevitable, so I just try to tune it out. Hardly anybody mentions that the Saints are the most scandal-ridden Super Bowl champ in recent years. There was that coach who obtained some sort of drug illegally, then Reggie Bush of course, and some cheap shots on Favre during the NFC championship game, which they were lucky to get away with.

Props to Chris Collinsworth, by the way, for pointing out how the Saints shut down Visante Shianco in the second half by putting a different DB on him. That was a very helpful bit of analysis. It's the sort of thing that's hard to keep track of when you're watching a game. Some other posters here may have noticed it before it was mentioned by Collinsworth, but not me. I mostly just follow the ball.
blank
DakotaT
13 years ago
The guys blocking Pat Williams looked like they were in a cow tipping contest last night. Jared Allen had a stat line of 0 tackles, 0 sacks, and 1 dive at Brees' knees after the ball was released. The secondary allows just about every pass thrown to be caught, but they are decent tacklers.

Their OTs get away with murder. They pass block by taking 3 steps back and grabbing and holding anything they can grab. What kind of football player gets carted off the field for a finger injury? Formo - you are going to need therapy this season.

You guys are afraid of this team?

Oh yeah and this just in, Favre is an old man and should have been in a recliner watching that game last night.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
What I was surprised by was that the Saints couldn't do much against the Vikes' depleted secondary. And I don't really think that's because Asher Allen is the next best shut-down corner in the NFL.

So either Leslie Frazier is a scarier witch than I already thought, or the Saints got damn lucky to get the Vikes' offense when it wasn't yet ready for prime time. I just can't believe they couldn't do more than they did against that unit, especially considering that they were able to run on them all game.

Weird. But a Vikes loss, so that's a good thing.
blank
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

The guys blocking Pat Williams looked like they were in a cow tipping contest last night. Jared Allen had a stat line of 0 tackles, 0 sacks, and 1 dive at Brees' knees after the ball was released.

"DakotaT" wrote:

It could very well be because the guys blocking the Williamses are the two best guards in the league (Evans and Nicks), and Allen was blocked by a pro bowl tackle (Stinchcomb).
This is a placeholder
longtimefan
13 years ago
I couldnt see game in its entirety, but some plays I saw Saints defensive tackle being held like crazy?

They went to a spot camera on him during replays, face mask being pulled, jersey being pulled but no flag?
bigfog
13 years ago

The New Orleans defense did an excellent job of adjusting after halftime. Take away Favre's favorite target du jour and he seems to lose all confidence, as we saw in the second half when he started out 0 for 7. Favre also made a point of maintaining an expression of something bordering on sheer agony the entire game (except for the touchdown pass), just so we would all be sure to remember that he isn't fully healthy. It's an expression I'm sure we'll be seeing multiple times this season. What really puzzled me, though, was the expression of depression, almost sadness, that he seemed to wear most of the game. He didn't seem to be deriving much joy from playing.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

His expression reminded me of his last season as a Packer in Chicago and the NFC Championship. Just going through the motions and not wanting to be there.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
dfosterf
13 years ago

The guys blocking Pat Williams looked like they were in a cow tipping contest last night. Jared Allen had a stat line of 0 tackles, 0 sacks, and 1 dive at Brees' knees after the ball was released.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

It could very well be because the guys blocking the Williamses are the two best guards in the league (Evans and Nicks), and Allen was blocked by a pro bowl tackle (Stinchcomb).

"DakotaT" wrote:

I loved that one-liner from Dakota. Plus one for that, lol

So what you are saying is that if you have a top-notch offensive line you can negate the defensive line of the Vikings?

What a concept. I should have thought of that. :tongue3:
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.