Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Mark Craig: A diva double standard 
Taking shots at attention seekers like Terrell Owens is common, but what about Brett Favre? Why does he get a pass?

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune
Last update: September 12, 2010 - 9:39 AM

Terrell Owens is right. There is a double standard when it comes to the way the media in general treat Brett Favre as compared to other NFL divas.

I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps it's because divas such as T.O. and Chad Ochocinco are loud, obnoxious and act like juvenile jackasses for the nearest camera. Favre is every bit the diva they are, and more, but he gets many a free pass probably because he's quiet, southernly subtle in his arrogance and uses the cameras to enhance his image as the ultimate NFL warrior.

That doesn't make it right. That doesn't make it fair. And Owens shouldn't be criticized for pointing it out while he and Ochocinco were on "The Daily Line" on Versus.

Speaking specifically about Favre's decision to skip training camp the past two or three years, T.O. said, "Had it been one of us doing some of the same things, pulling these stunts that Brett Favre has done the last two or three years, then we would be labeled 'not a team player,' 'selfish' ... he's set himself above team standards."

He's right.

I've defended T.O. in recent years. I always felt everything he did was blown out of proportion because he isn't liked by ESPN's army of analysts. When T.O. was in Dallas, ESPN crushed him on a daily basis, essentially blaming him for everything but the Kennedy assassination. And let's face it, in today's world, too many fans don't or can't form an opinion until ESPN gives it to them.

On the other hand, ESPN loves it some 24/7 Favre. But in fairness, I've also defended Favre's late arrival and the Vikings' decision to let it happen. My argument, right or wrong, was there's simply no precedent to follow when dealing with a quarterback who is this old, this good, this indecisive and isn't backed up by Aaron Rodgers.

That doesn't mean Favre hasn't been selfish. He's been the most selfish player in the league the past two years.

Last year, the Vikings were fortunate that Favre's selfishness didn't cost them in the loss column. That changed in Thursday night's season opener in New Orleans. Favre was unprepared and the opponent wasn't from Cleveland. So the Vikings lost to the Saints 14-9 on a night when all facets were good enough to win except Favre and the passing game.

Favre will get up to speed with his receivers in time. The question is: Can the Vikings' hopes of winning the NFC North afford him that time?

The next two games are at home against Miami and Detroit. The Dolphins and Lions are improved, but the Vikings should be able to win with physical play at home.

That would send them into their bye at 2-1. In the past, coach Brad Childress has given his players the bye week off. He'd be nuts to do that this year. This team needs the extra week of practice because it comes out of the bye with a trip to New York to play the Jets on Monday night.

If you think the Saints made Favre look out of sync on national TV, wait and see what Rex Ryan, Darrelle Revis, Kris Jenkins and the Jets do to him if he's not up to speed by Oct. 11.

UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Wait.. Doesn't Favre already have the rep for the past 3 years as being NOT a team player?

There is no double standard because Owens, barring an unbelieveable resurrgence of his career, will never be in the HoF (and I don't think he should.. he's overhyped at best), and didn't put the 17-19 years into the NFL that Favre has/had.

Not to mention Favre doesn't need to work on his speed, cuts and routes.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'll skip the content of the post because I'm simply tired of it.

As for TO not making it to the Hall, he will. And he'll more than likely make it first ballot.

Randy Moss is the only active WR right now with a better career than TO, like it or not. TO's career stats have been exceptional. He's been First Team All-Pro 5 times, to the Pro Bowl 6 times, is 3rd All-Time in Receiving Yards behind only Jerry Rice and Randy Moss, and 3rd All-Time in Receiving TDs with 144 TDs, behind those same 2 players. 3 times, he led the NFL in Receiving TDs. 9 times, he got over 1000 yards receiving.

No way he doesn't make the Hall of Fame, despite being a jackass and a fool. I'll always have that image of him crying on national TV with his sunglasses on saying "he's my Quarterback. He's my Quarterback." But personality issues aside, he's been an elite WR for most of his long career.

I would love to have him on the Packers for a single year. Not more than one though because it seems like his second year with any team, he slowly evolves into a locker room cancer.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
There clearly is a double standard. If Chad or Randy or even Terrell were to do the things Brett did, they would be blasted equally as much as Favre is praised.

There's no way to deny that. No one is above the "team" and when you think someone is, you need to check ya self!

But he's fun to watch. 🙂
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
I do not think Terrell Owens is as disruptive as advertised.

Hear me out -

Last season, reporters were trying to bait him into talking smack about an aspect of the Bills (Can't remember if it was Trent Edwards or the Playcalling), but he carefully played himself out of the situation and bit his tongue.

I am not saying that he isn't a negative influence on a team, I am saying that due to past offenses he has a big "bait me" target on him. As long as papers sell and internet websites are suscribed to/visited, redemption is a distant second.

In this case, he was correct. I don't give a squat if it's Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown, Bart Starr - team activities and TRAINING must be vehemently observed.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
I can't imagine this is at all in question. Take Favre's situation this offseason and swap in T.O., Moss, or O'Cinco - they'd be crucified 10 times over. Favre does it and everyone shrugs and says "Oh, Brett."

I won't go into whether he's earned the double standard - he may have. But if the question is whether there is a double standard, duh. Of course there is.
blank
djcubez
13 years ago
One of my favorite parts of this article is the ESPN aspect. ESPN controls the minds of a lot of sports-watchers especially when they cover teams that are out of a viewers respective market. For some reason they are seen as an elite authority on all-sports despite the fact that there's plenty of better writers and analysts out there.

ESPN does love them some Favre. Madden loved him some Favre. Favre was once called "America's Quarterback" (it's the title of a book). Favre is also quite subtle. A lot of the "bad" things he did on the Packers I had never heard about until the last few seasons. When it's Terrell Owens doing that it's always the first thing to hit the papers.

In all honesty though TO and Ocho don't bother me. Sure they're cocky and arrogant but they're not classless. When has either of these guys done something sketchy in their life outside of football? Ocho doesn't even drink alcohol. Favre had problems alcohol and painkillers. It's quite the double standard. Hell even Marvin Harrison has been questioned by the police for a shady shooting involving his gun.

It's interesting that TO brought up race. While it can be a factor (when is subconscious racism not a factor?) it's not as big as TO is making it.

What I'm interested in is whether or not the position they both play makes a difference. What do you guys think?
Formo
13 years ago
Well, considering Rice missed camp this year.. He didn't get crucified by the media.

OMFG DOUBLE STANDARD!

Harvin missed all but like 4 practices this year.. He didn't get crucified by the media.

OMFG DOUBLE STANDARD!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Someone has a hard time being rational on this subject. Suppose, we'd probably just as douche'ery if he was still on our team doing the same retire/unretire stuff. Wait ....
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
No. I just don't think it's a double standard because of the circumstances at hand.

Theory: Favre being at camp (whether his shoulder or ankle is healthy or not) shortens his season. If the goal is to play 19 games, then giving your 41 year old grandfather of a QB a break by not enforcing training camp attendance is a very realistic option.

When T.O. skipped camp, he was in his prime. Was (and is) far more athletic and is younger than Favre. Training camp would have NOT taken the toll on T.O's body as it would on Favre's.

Again, it's all about circumstance. This isn't high school or college ball.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.