Zero2Cool
13 years ago
There is a double standard though. The media is clamoring over Brett, while if it was Owens, they'd be ridiculing him from the start. It's only after years of the same that the media has started to poke fun at him. If it was Owens, they'd have ripped him from the get go.

Whatever reason you try to use an excuse, fact is, it's obvious. And it's not that big of a deal. The big difference is Owens I don't think was ever 'adored', Favre was so he was given a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and now finally people are getting tired of it and a few are calling him out for it.

I just don't see why its that big of a deal that there is a double standard.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

There is a double standard though. The media is clamoring over Brett, while if it was Owens, they'd be ridiculing him from the start. It's only after years of the same that the media has started to poke fun at him. If it was Owens, they'd have ripped him from the get go.

Whatever reason you try to use an excuse, fact is, it's obvious. And it's not that big of a deal. The big difference is Owens I don't think was ever 'adored', Favre was so he was given a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and a pass, and now finally people are getting tired of it and a few are calling him out for it.

I just don't see why its that big of a deal that there is a double standard.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

The circumstances between Owens and Favres' situations are completely different. Hence there being no double standard. This is what I've been saying.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
Zero, do you also believe there is a double standard between Owens and Strahan and or between Favre and Strahan or between Favre and Junior Seau, etc?

Obviously I am not seeing this with clear eyes but I think there is a big difference between T.O. and Favre. Cause I think you even believed that Favre really was "done" this time and those guys pulled him back in. So I don't know how you can get on a guy so much if the team talked him out of "retirement". People get on T.O. because he is a true "cancer" to teams. Outside of Thomas Jones and a few others in NY, I have only heard positive things about Favre as a "teammate". Has Favre ever thrown his WRs under the bus for sucking or the defense?

Strahan too. I don't think its a double standard with him and Owens, I just think Owens is a piece of crap. And I still don't understand the racism thing.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
If Owens did what Favre has been doing, he'd be labeled a poor team player.
When Brett does it, he's given a free pass, several times.

Keep ignoring the pink elephant in the room if it makes you feel better.

It's a double standard, period.

Oh, wait, you actually BELIEVE what Favre says? I got it now. I bet you believed him when he said he had nothing left to give in '08 too, and when he retired from the Jets and said he was done for good in '09, even though he requested to be released before retiring.

I love Favre as a player, regardless of his team he's electric, but I won't put blinders on to the facts. He's being given a pass where others would not have. That I think is what a double standard is. I might need to brush up on my definition though. I'm no Rourke, that's for sure. I just call them as I see them. Except with Barry Sanders, everything he did was gold. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Zero, do you also believe there is a double standard between Owens and Strahan and or between Favre and Strahan or between Favre and Junior Seau, etc?

Obviously I am not seeing this with clear eyes but I think there is a big difference between T.O. and Favre. Cause I think you even believed that Favre really was "done" this time and those guys pulled him back in. So I don't know how you can get on a guy so much if the team talked him out of "retirement". People get on T.O. because he is a true "cancer" to teams. Outside of Thomas Jones and a few others in NY, I have only heard positive things about Favre as a "teammate". Has Favre ever thrown his WRs under the bus for sucking or the defense?

Strahan too. I don't think its a double standard with him and Owens, I just think Owens is a piece of crap. And I still don't understand the racism thing.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

I thought I said many times that Brett would be back on or before the third preseason game? How does that constitute I believed he was done? Maybe you missed it the several times I said it in the last 6 months.

I'm not sure how Strahan or Seau come into this.

I only believed Favre was done once,e that was in '08 when he said he had nothing left to give, that he coudln't live up to being Brett Favre anymore.

What I am saying is, if Owens, or Chad even were to skip camp yearly with this maybe retire, maybe not retire business, they'd have been blasted by the media as being poor team players, instead of clammoring over his every word in awe.

QB is the leader of the team, his presence would have been good. You can't tell me that some players on the team don't think it's shady what is happened over the last handful of years. They're smart, not ignorant, why should I be ignorant and think there's no double standard here or that Owens would be met with the same admiration as Brett?

The pathetic thing about this, I'm a huge fan of Brett's and you'd think him being my 2nd all time favorite player I'd be the whining about this, yet I'm fine with calling it as it really is.

Again, Owens was never admired anywhere near how much Brett was/is.

Instead, others want to throw in this and that to try and take the focus away from what the real issue is. Kind of like the defense team for OJ Simpson. A mountain of evidence and they say 'look here, look this way, no no don't look at the evidence look over HERE!'

It's a double standard. Brett gets away it toying with retirement as an excuse to miss camp, others wouldn't. It's not bad (cuz its the Vikings), it's not good, it's just how it is. I've allowed your naive replies waste too much of my time, just like my (surely you seem them as) pigheaded comments wasted yours.

When he did the will I or won't bit with Green Bay, I said then too that he should be in camp, even if it was as a spectator. Call me crazy, I just think a leader needs to ... you know LEAD by some fashion. But hey he never threw his WR's under the bus so let him murder the pope!! :roll:

Done.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
I don't know may be we're haggling over dictionary definitions but I still don't see it that simply. If the theory is that if Owens had been doing what Favre has done, Owens would have got heat, I don't understand it.

Owens has built up all this bad karma his way by throwing teammates under the bus and generally being a cancer and distraction. Obviously if he does something "bad", he will get lite up by the media, I don't get the big deal.

If someone else does something "bad" but they do not have the shady past of Owens, they will not get as lite up by the media.

How many reality tv shows has Favre started, none. Did Favre get on twitter and every media outlet after he signed with the Vikings and talk about "get your popcorn ready" or "I'm Batman", etc. I just think there is a huge difference between Favre and Owens. They are treated differently because they are different people.

If that meets the dictionary definition of "double standard" and that is what we are talking about, then I concede my argument. There would also be a double standard for Owens/Strahan, Owens/Seau, Pacman/Favre, Vick/Favre, etc. If you point to someone equal to Favre's legend like lets say Steve Young or Dan Marino, etc. and then they got treated differently, then I think thats more of a "double standard". I just think Owens is such trash, its not a double standard.

If we can't treat different people differently, there would be no such thing as an opinion. I'm not denying Favre is a diva, I said it in my original post. I just don't know what else people want. Favre got ripped in 2008 for the Jets thing, Favre got ripped in 2009 for the Vikings thing, Favre got ripped in 2010 for the Vikings thing. Yes, not by every single person but why would they? May be they just don't care about training camp.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Okay, one last thing. :)

If you donate $5,000 to women abuse club, does that give you the right to rape women?

Bottom line, if you do something shady, you should be treated as such, regardless of the good things you did. That's how I feel. Maybe that's where I'm wrong. I'm grateful and appreciative of everything he did for the Packers, but I'm not going to let that shade my morals.

Hey Brett won a Super Bowl with the Packers, who cares if he banged my wife!!! He's still a great guy, look at those Wrangler commercials!

Okay, done now. 😛
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
Yeah but with that theory there is a double standard with Pacman Jones and the rest of the league, etc. I just don't see Owens and Favre in the same light, one guy has his own reality tv show, talks so much trash without backing any of it up, etc.

And I still think training camp and preseason makes jack crap. Last year Favre came in and they went 13-3 and a 12th man in the huddle penalty from possibily going to the SB. I don't think they lost in NO because Favre wasn't in training camp. He became the leader by his actions on the field and his reputation. I think that whole leadership talk in training camp doesn't matter. Overall I still stick with if his teammates don't care, he doesn't care, his coaches don't care, why does everyone else care so much about the training camp thing?

In 2007, Strahan missed all of training camp and preseason after "strugglign with retirement". He came back in September, they won the Super Bowl that year and he was the clear leader of that defense. I don't think the other Giants players were bitter and I don't think it affected his leadership attributes. I think when your players like Strahan and Favre, training camp doesn't mean jack to your ability to play or to lead others. May be Strahan actually stayed fresher and less injury prone by staying away.

I don't know, the way you paint him it sounds like he's killed somebody or something. In the grand scheme of things, whatever he is guilty of is nothing. If he's guilty of skipping training camp on purpose or wanting attention or whatever, it lacks in comparison to people killing citizens while drinking or dog-fighting or raping woman or assaulting your wife, etc.

Honestly these days, who gets more hated on by the media and fans, Vick or Favre? One guy hung dogs by their necks on a tree and watched them slowly die, the other likes "attention". So when I think of stuff like that, I know Favre is a drama queen or whatever but I really don't care, it doesn't change my opinion of him at all because in the grand scheme of things, its really not that bad.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

I'm no Rourke, that's for sure.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Thank God for that. The world could not bear up under the weight of two of me!
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
And I still don't see what your talking about with the double standard. Are you saying that Favre hasn't been roasted the past few years for his indecision and the training camp thing? Just because not every single person or media outlet did not, doesn't mean anything. It may just mean, some people just don't care about that stuff.

Like if the media had crapped all over Strahan and then left Favre alone, I would agree but at the end of the day, your talking about T.O. v. Favre. Its not a double standard when you say one guy is an apple and the other is an orange. Pacman deserves to be slammed for criminal offenses quicker than a guy who's a first timer. Owens deserves to be slammed if he skipped training camp more than another guy who doesn't have a history of being a cancer, etc.

To be a double standard, IMO anyway, you'd have to get a journalist who roasted Owens and then said Favre had a right to skip camp, etc.

I used to even feel bad for Owens but the guy is an idiot. Reality show? Really? Jumping on twitter right after signing and talking trash, really? Batman? Wtf, your an aging WR with decling ability. Calm the f down.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.