wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Packers by position: Defensive backs by Rob Demovsky

Once again this April, the Press-Gazette will provide a pre-draft breakdown of the Packers roster at each position by beat writer Rob Demovsky. This will lead up to the start of Pete Doughertys annual position-by-position draft series on April 21.

Defensive backs

What they have

Cornerbacks
: Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Brandon Underwood, Pat Lee, Josh Gordy, Josh Bell.

Safeties
: Nick Collins, Charlie Peprah, Morgan Burnett, Atari Bigby*, Anthony Smith, Anthony Levine, Michael Greco

Cornerback/safety
: Jarrett Bush

* Could be an unrestricted free agent depending on new CBA rules

Position analysis

The Packers basically hit the lottery without buying a ticket when they signed Sam Shields as an undrafted free agent. All signs point to him being a starter whenever Charles Woodson calls it quits, although theres no reason to think thatll happen any time soon. With Woodson, Williams and Shields, the Packers have their nickel corners set. However, as easily as corners can go down, they still need to upgrade the quality of their depth. Underwood still has potential but needs to show it. This summer could be his last chance. Lee played decent in relief in the Super Bowl but remains largely unproven. Collins had another Pro Bowl season and Peprah was serviceable as a fill-in starter after Burnett blew out his knee in Week 4. Theres some thought to playing Woodson more at safety like he did in the Atlanta playoff game, but that wouldnt be a full-time position change. Bigby wasnt tendered as a restricted free agent, so he probably wont be back no matter what the free-agency rules will be under a new CBA. Levine is a promising prospect. He was on the practice squad all of last season after a solid first training camp.

The future

With as much nickel as defensive coordinator Dom Capers plays, theres always a need for good cover corners. Woodson, who broke his collarbone in the Super Bowl, is expected to make a full recovery, but hes 34 years old and showed some signs of slight decline. So drafting a cornerback high isnt out of the question, but it probably wont be in the early rounds.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
Packers draft needs by position: Secondary By Tom Silverstein  

This is the eighth in a position-by-position series evaluating the Green Bay Packers needs entering the 2011 draft.

SECONDARY

Need level: Low

On the roster: CB Tramon Williams, CB Charles Woodson, S Nick Collins, S Morgan Burnett, CB Sam Shields, S Charlie Peprah, CB/S Jarrett Bush, CB Pat Lee, CB Brandon Underwood, CB Josh Gordy, S Anthony Smith, S Michael Greco, S Anthony Levine, and CB Josh Bell.

Free agents
: S Atari Bigby.

Outlook:
The emergence of Shields as a starting-caliber player changed everything for this unit. Woodson is starting to show age on the outside and needs to be in the slot where he can be used more like a safety. Shields has allowed that and also guarantees the team has two young corners in place for at least three more seasons. Behind Shields, Lee and Underwood havent grown the way the coaches hoped and could be replaced if a corner is drafted. Lee is a little ahead of Underwood because of experience, but if Underwood could get his act together he could work his way into the dime. Gordy is an interesting prospect because of his speed and could get a look, too. The coaches were extremely high on Burnett before he tore his ACL and will give him every chance to win the starting spot over the reliable Peprah. Burnett has outstanding ball skills, but you never know how an ACL will affect a players ability. Whatever the case, they're stocked at the position with Peprah, Smith, Bush and others. Theres almost no chance Bigby will be back.

Eye-opening stat:
The secondary committed 18 coverage penalties in 20 games, an average of just under one per game.

Whats available:
There are a lot of guys with glaring warts that make taking a cornerback in this draft a risk. The top two corners, LSUs Patrick Peterson and Nebraskas Prince Amukamara, will be gone early and the next most talented, Colorados Jimmy Smith, might be off GM Ted Thompsons board for character issues. In the second, Buffalos Josh Thomas would fit the height/speed requirements the Packers have and converted running back Curtis Marsh of Utah St., who doubles as a kick returner, might be an option at the end of the fourth. Later, South Carolina speedster Chris Culliver could be considered both for his Shields-like potential and return ability.

Bottom line:
This might not be the time or place to address the eventual replacement for Woodson. Theres always reason to add cornerbacks and Thompson could do that late, but theres no sense taking any gambles or over-drafting because of need. The safety position probably won't be addressed.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
I thought they released Bell and Smith. Burnett is gonna be all world. He was on the way to ROY when he busted out his knee.
And for the record, I don't care about "kick returners." I want a PUNT returner.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Bell went on IR before the season started.

I thought he might have been above Shields on the depth chart until he got hurt.

I don't recall what happened to Smith.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
As per Packer site both are on the roster.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

I thought they released Bell and Smith. Burnett is gonna be all world. He was on the way to ROY when he busted out his knee.
And for the record, I don't care about "kick returners." I want a PUNT returner.

"nerdmann" wrote:

They released Bell, Martin and Donald Lee. I think (not 100% on this) Bigby, Smith and Peprah were all in contract years last year. They resigned Peprah for 2 year, 2.3 million dollar deal (I thought he would of gotten more). While they let Bigby and Smith contracts ran out, so they're FAs.

Burnett's coverage was AMAZING!!! ... needs to work on the run defense though, he took too big of an angle making it way too easy to cut but and slip by him. Collins did it some as well but less so... and when you're the FS you get away with it a bit more since you're normally further away. Pepreh was very good at taking good angles and attacking the run defense.

I wouldn't be surprised with a high pick at DB this year.

Also as far as replacing Woodson, Shields might be able to do it in the base defense 3-4 defense. And in the past Capers has used a Safety for the nickel role that Woodson normally plays.

Not saying they're thinking about it in Green Bay, but Shields and Williams as CBs. Peprah as the SS, Burnett as the FS and Collins in Woodson's CB/S/OLB role might work.

Collins in that role because I think he's more physical and aggressive than Burnett. And I think Peprah best fit is SS.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.