wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy said the NFL's competition committee wants injury rates on kickoffs to drop, or else it will recommend eliminating them.

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

I guess I am ready to put the ball at the 20 or 25 instead of having a kickoff return.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
6 years ago
Speaking selfishly, I received a brutal concussion during a kickoff return. I was a wedge guy running head to head into a guy coming down the field. He was k.o.'d and I was out on my feet. That was the basically the end of a marginally promising career.

So, I would say, start on the 25. There are an inordinate number of touch-backs anyway. If they move the kickoff point back even further to avoid touch-backs, the speed of the players will only increase, as will the likelihood of injury.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
It would be interesting to see the numbers on what the injuries are and what the rate of them is for Kick-offs. what about punts? If they take away kick offs, you are going to have an extra probably 10-12 regular plays, so there will be an increase of those injuries. And an increase pounding between Oline and Dline which is probably the place where the most look at brain injury needs to take place.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
6 years ago
For what little this is worth, I can't recall an injury during a kickoff in years in a Packers game at least.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

For what little this is worth, I can't recall an injury during a kickoff in years in a Packers game at least.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Terrence Murphy comes to mind, but that was back in 2005 I think. That and usually those injured on kickoffs are 3rd and 4th string players that we really don't hear much about.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
6 years ago
Punts are not as bad because most of the contact is initiated at low velocity ( at the line of scrimmage) Granted, when the returner is coming down with the ball he can be hit as our high rate of speed, but most of the rest of the guys are not going that fast as contact is initiated.

On the same principle, I would wager that offensive and defensive lineman are the least concussed, despite the repetitive number of hits, because they’re just not getting up to velocity before contact is initiated.

if you really wanted to lower the number of concussions, you have to modify or get rid of artificial turf. It speeds up the game, and, I don’t care what anybody says, does not provide the same amount of cushion as grass does it normal temperatures.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
yooperfan
6 years ago
Hell, just turn the NFL into flag football NOW and save the cute little adjustments and gnashing of teeth.
Football as we have known it will be dead in another decade anyway.
isocleas2
6 years ago
We now know what effect these hits are having on our brains, there's no question some changes will have to occur if the game is to survive
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
You could do the CFL rule. You kick off on TDs and you spot it on FGs. The only problem with this rule is the elimination of onside kicks that add to the drama at the end of a game. Sometimes you take the FG and hope for the onside kick. That would be eliminated under CFL rules as you would need the TD to do the onside kick.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Punts are not as bad because most of the contact is initiated at low velocity ( at the line of scrimmage) Granted, when the returner is coming down with the ball he can be hit as our high rate of speed, but most of the rest of the guys are not going that fast as contact is initiated.

On the same principle, I would wager that offensive and defensive lineman are the least concussed, despite the repetitive number of hits, because they’re just not getting up to velocity before contact is initiated.

if you really wanted to lower the number of concussions, you have to modify or get rid of artificial turf. It speeds up the game, and, I don’t care what anybody says, does not provide the same amount of cushion as grass does it normal temperatures.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Problem solved.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (4h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.