wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

If I remember correctly, the cupboards were bare under Sherman coach/GM. We were in salary cap hell and very few young and talented players to replace aging veterans. Sherman ran the Packers as if they were one player away from the Super Bowl every year and never thinking about the future.

What I'd like to see Ted Thompson do is shore up weaknesses with 2nd tier free agents instead of relying on rookies. Very few rookies are impact players.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

yeah I have been yelled at by many on the board for daring to suggest GB actually pick up some talent via the free agent market. It doesn't have to be the break the bank and or over the hill players. There are many decent 2nd tier players out there. Uncle Teddy doesn't even have to go that route every single year. Year in and year out having one of the youngest teams does not win championships. They need to have quality seasoned veterans along with young and developing players.

It is as if Ted goes out of his way to "prove" his way is the only way. Out of a 52 man roster there is nothing wrong with having 10 players come in via the free agent route.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

There's a big difference between complaining about someone and demanding he be replaced. The latter is the wrong course of action simply because he's proven he can do the job. Complaining I feel is something we all can do regardless.

I'm thoroughly surprised you have to ask, but read above for some clarity.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This is NOT some problem that just came up now with the Rodgers injury, and it certainly isn't limited to the defense - if anything, the O Line is qualitatively worse than the defense.

Granted, there is a difference between complaining and demanding replacement, but aside from the fact that all the "demanding .... " by anybody here or other forums isn't gonna do shit to make it happen anyway, you have this: "complaining" implies "ho hum, he ain't perfect, but it's no big deal whether he continues doing it his way or not". In light of the total EXPOSURE of the job Ted Thompson has done with this team over the past few games, do you think "complaining" is enough? I never said I wanted Ted Thompson to drop dead or anything, I just wish he'd go off to a nice retirement - or as somebody said, going to (ruining) some other team.

I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen - I won't get my wish, and those ignoramuses "demanding" getting rid of Capers won't get their wish either, and we will just go back to having Aaron Rodgers mask all problems and winning games - which ain't too bad. It could be/could have been better, though.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I like the spirited debate here. Overall, I think we can agree that this shines the biggest light on Ted Thompson or at least I hope we can. The personnel and those who coach are ultimately his responsibility.

I can say that I disagree about which is worse. There are more players and total plays on the defensive side than the offensive side that are the problem but the space between them was much lower on Thursday that it has been in recent memory.

It will provide a much brighter light on the off season evaluation process that is one thing we know for certain.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
play2win
10 years ago
Fact is, we have not replaced the services lost to our defense when Jenkins left in FA, Collins was injured and Woodson went down and was not re-signed. 2011 season. 2012 season. Now 2013 season.

Add to that, the play of AJ Hawk has diminished greatly, and while his contract was negotiated down, we all now realize we need improved play there. Gaping hole next to him, two years after the loss of Bishop to injury?

Pass rush opposite Matthews. Where is that? When available, Perry has looked good. But, here we go now, player availability… when does that issue get addressed? We have gone almost 4 seasons now as one of the most injured teams in the NFL, and with ZERO accountability. ZERO. No changes to the way they do things in fitness and conditioning. Unbelievable.

This entire front office and coaching staff needs to look in the mirror.
DoddPower
10 years ago
Packers fans, and every other team with an elite QB with a 100 million dollar contract, is just going to have to get used to the fact that there are always going to be a few positions of weakness on their team. It's the reality of today's NFL. Teams like the Seahawks and 49'ers aren't having to deal with that yet. They are benefiting from years of high draft picks, and most of the star players playing under their "cheap" rookie contracts. That will change soon, especially for the Seahawks. I still think Kaepernick is average overall at best, but will have moments of greatness. Plus they seem to stay really damn healthy, relatively speaking, although their luck has been changing a little this season.

Obviously the above is no excuse to have a shitty team, but it's going to be very difficult and close to impossible to have a "complete" team. Especially once one factors in contracts like CM3, etc., into the picture. Teams in this situation just have to hope that their strengths can overcome their weaknesses. Generally speaking, I think the Packers do just that.

I think the Packers are almost as talented as any team in the league when relatively healthy, and would be a contender every year. If Rodgers is out, that changes everything, but that's the way these teams will be built most the time. How well would the Saints function without Brees? The Broncos without Manning? Patriots without Brady? I know they went 10-6 when he missed most of the season, but the reality is they still missed the playoffs. Also, an exception doesn't define the norm. Although to be fair, Mallet is probably a pretty damn good backup. Regardless, the Patriots still have some huge weaknesses, as well. Look at the Giants and Falcons this season. I remember many were predicting both of them as Super Bowl contenders at the the beginning of the season.

There are possibly better general managers than Ted Thompson out there, but there are ABSOLUTELY many worse. I truly think a lot of the problem with the Packers comes back to coaching, even with Rodgers healthy. Yes, the coaches failure ultimately comes back on Thompson, but I have seen McCarthy and Capers just be utterly EMBARRASSED and out coached many times. I also think, with the talent the Packers have, there are coaches out there that could get more out of their players.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Fact is, we have not replaced the services lost to our defense when Jenkins left in FA, Collins was injured and Woodson went down and was not re-signed. 2011 season. 2012 season. Now 2013 season.

Add to that, the play of AJ Hawk has diminished greatly, and while his contract was negotiated down, we all now realize we need improved play there. Gaping hole next to him, two years after the loss of Bishop to injury?

Pass rush opposite Matthews. Where is that? When available, Perry has looked good. But, here we go now, player availability… when does that issue get addressed? We have gone almost 4 seasons now as one of the most injured teams in the NFL, and with ZERO accountability. ZERO. No changes to the way they do things in fitness and conditioning. Unbelievable.

This entire front office and coaching staff needs to look in the mirror.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I sense more and more people are coming around.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but Hawk's play diminished? I tend to think he was always mediocre, and he improved - just a little bit anyway - this year (except for yesterday hahahaha)

I don't know what to think about the injury thing. There has been a LOT of that all around the league, but you're probably right about us getting hit worse than almost anyone else. Blame it purely on bad luck? Or explain it with some kind of story about inadequate fitness or whatever? I tend to go with the luck ...... but who knows.

I am also conflicted on Nick Perry. He certainly ain't flashy like Clay Matthews, but when he plays, good things seem to happen - so who knows there too.

A word to you Capers haters/Thompson defenders: In keeping with play2win's last line, I'll trade you the one for the other - get rid of Capers and get rid of Thompson too ......... but fuck it, who are we kidding? We all know, nobody is gonna get fired because we probably end up winning the division at 9-6-1 and who knows from there.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Packers fans, and every other team with an elite QB with a 100 million dollar contract, is just going to have to get used to the fact that there are always going to be a few positions of weakness on their team. It's the reality of today's NFL. Teams like the Seahawks and 49'ers aren't having to deal with that yet. They are benefiting from years of high draft picks, and most of the star players playing under their "cheap" rookie contracts. That will change soon, especially for the Seahawks. I still think Kaepernick is average overall at best, but will have moments of greatness. Plus they seem to stay really damn healthy, relatively speaking, although their luck has been changing a little this season.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

=d> =d> =d> =d> =d>

The NFL had been stacking the deck against winning teams previously with the salary cap and the scheduling based on division placement. But the new CBA tops both with the way rookie contracts are structured. Just compare Stafford and Bradfords rookie contracts vs Lucks. It's no longer a cap killer to draft in the top 10 2-3 years in a row. Now you get cheap, blue chip talent. And hell, when it's time to talk about a new contract, the first years of it probably aren't that bad.

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
hardrocker950
10 years ago

There are possibly better general managers than Ted Thompson out there, but there are ABSOLUTELY many worse. I truly think a lot of the problem with the Packers comes back to coaching, even with Rodgers healthy. Yes, the coaches failure ultimately comes back on Thompson, but I have seen McCarthy and Capers just be utterly EMBARRASSED and out coached many times. I also think, with the talent the Packers have, there are coaches out there that could get more out of their players.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

More fans are starting to realize this reality. I agree with basically everything you said, but this part is the most disturbing.

I think Mike McCarthy is losing respect from the players (and fans) now that Aaron isn't there to make him look like an average/good coach.

I have been having doubts about Capers for a while now, but even the "casual" fans have taken notice. It is not often that the average fans are disappointed in a DC - which should say there is a problem.

And onward to TT. His stubborn ways have caught up with him finally, and many of us saw the train wreck coming. While the salary cap limits who you might be able to bring in- if you need a player, by all means make a move. I like that we have a team that is mostly home grown, but I see ZERO harm in bringing some veteran players aside from possible salary issues. If you need a RT, GO FUCKING GET ONE THAT YOU KNOW CAN PLAY! Need a safety - go get one! It takes too damn long to develop a full roster from draft picks - especially without that veteran leadership!
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

I think Mike McCarthy is losing respect from the players (and fans) now that Aaron isn't there to make him look like an average/good coach.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

You know I saw on another message board something similar to this. The poster pointed out no matter how bad the beating, McCarthy defends Capers and the scheme and blames the players. The poster wondered how long the players would allow McCarthy to dump on them in public while defending Capers and not holding him accountable in anyway beyond the "recurring issues" comment.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
hardrocker950
10 years ago

You know I saw on another message board something similar to this. The poster pointed out no matter how bad the beating, McCarthy defends Capers and the scheme and blames the players. The poster wondered how long the players would allow McCarthy to dump on them in public while defending Capers and not holding him accountable in anyway beyond the "recurring issues" comment.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I think there is truth in this. To continue to blame everything on the players is going to lose their respect. When you lose their respect, you will get less production from them - just like average Joe having a jerk boss who blames his employees for everything.

I liked Mike in the past, but I am starting to think differently of him after several games with playcalling that is nothing short of predictable. His meetings with the press post game are just as predictable after a loss - "recurring issues, good game plan, need to tackle, need to finish the game....yadda yadda..."

It is apparent that this team needs some fresh blood on their staff.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (22h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (23h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.