Formo
14 years ago
Has anyone considered that maybe those nonfootball questions asked in those interviews have nothing to do with the actual content of the answer but to evaluate how the kid reacts to said question? And if that's the case, then the goal as the question asker is to ask the most untactful questions you possibly can. I'd say Dez failed this test.

You guys say Favre is a drama queen.. Looks to me Dez owns the drama castle.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Has anyone considered that maybe those nonfootball questions asked in those interviews have nothing to do with the actual content of the answer but to evaluate how the kid reacts to said question? And if that's the case, then the goal as the question asker is to ask the most untactful questions you possibly can. I'd say Dez failed this test.

"Formo" wrote:

How in the hell did he fail the test? By not coming across the table and beating the living daylights out of Ireland.. if that is the test.. I would have been given a gold star.. lol.

BTW.. Dez didn't blow this issue sky high.. the media did because it is a bullshit line of questioning. And Ireland knew it and ran like a little ant trying to put the fire out ASAP.

What next.. your normal position in sexual contact with your significant other? I am sure that might invoke a response or two..

There are fair labor laws and acts in this country for a reason.. and this question brushed up mighty close to them..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Formo
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

How in the hell did he fail the test? By not coming across the table and beating the living daylights out of Ireland.. if that is the test.. I would have been given a gold star.. lol.

BTW.. Dez didn't blow this issue sky high.. the media did because it is a bullshit line of questioning. And Ireland knew it and ran like a little ant trying to put the fire out ASAP.

What next.. your normal position in sexual contact with your significant other? I am sure that might invoke a response or two..

There are fair labor laws and acts in this country for a reason.. and this question brushed up mighty close to them..

"Formo" wrote:

Dez failed the test because we are having this discussion and he didn't get drafted by the Phins. Dez DID blow the issue sky high by running his mouth bitching and complaining. The media machine just did what it normally does.

You best your ass Ireland ran around trying to put the fire out.. They have a PR department, and they were probably on his ass the millisecond the news hit. I wouldn't be surprised if he was poised and ready to put the fire out ASAP, just was waiting for the ball to drop.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
So... isn't that a litmus test of sorts.. that he knew there would be a PR fire following his line of questioning?

Hmmm.. pretty self evident to me. Ireland crossed a line... he fucked up and readily admitted it..

Game.. Set... Match..... the question was discriminating in nature or could be argued as such.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
Discriminating as in "finely honed" or discriminatory because he is prejudiced against kids with pimp dads and crack-dealing mom's that also have a history of lying when any idiot should be able to figure out that they are not going to get away with the lie?

The part that I say you are assuming is the part about Ireland's motivations.

He might want to know if the kid is worth the risk of using up say, the 12th pick in the draft....He may have been VERY interested in drafting him--We will never know for sure-

Here is a rough analogy.

Wad up a piece of paper and throw it at your wastebasket.

Simple, easy, straightforward. Let's call that a "fun-toss".

Now. Let's say your job, your family and--let's throw your life in there-- depends upon you making that shot with your wad of paper.

I'd bet you would study the issue of reliability quite closely. Missing would really suck, so you just might be quite thorough in doing everything in your power to make sure you do not miss. Hell, you might weigh the paper, check your elbow angle, adjust your grip, close one eye, envision the projected trajectory, etc. etc. etc.

We'll call that the "real toss".

We are throwing at the can for fun. Guys like Ireland are throwing at the can for real.

He was just weighing what level of a wad Dez is.

:tongue3:

Hell, you guys are right. Here is how he should have handled it-

Ireland: So, what does your dad do for a living?

Dez: My dad is a pimp.

Ireland: What does your mom do?

Dez: She works for him.

Ireland: What does she do, organist or something?

Dez: Ya, for the motherfuckin' church choir, bitch.

better?
Formo
14 years ago

So... isn't that a litmus test of sorts.. that he knew there would be a PR fire following his line of questioning?

Hmmm.. pretty self evident to me. Ireland crossed a line... he fucked up and readily admitted it..

Game.. Set... Match..... the question was discriminating in nature or could be argued as such.

"pack93z" wrote:

I'm proposing that Ireland purposefully asked questions that could be out of line to test Dez's reaction. I wouldn't consider that as 'fucking' up.

But, I still wouldn't have been offended about the question if it were me. I guess I'm not one to be easily wound up over something like that.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
I have personally hired over 20 people in the Information Technology field during my career.. and I had a personal responsibility and stake in each of the hires..

My job requires me to be very proficient at it.. due to the sensitivity of the corporate information these people would have access to.

Over the course of those hires I have met some people that flat out I wouldn't trust with a oreo cookie.. let alone a 100 million dollar a year company..

During all those hires.. I never felt the necessity to ask anyone if their momma was a hooker.. or if they wore thongs or briefs.. or some personal intrusive questions..

Yet I had to gain a sense of confidence in their ability to perform the tasks asked of them.. hold the confidentiality of the companies proprietary secrets and represent my department and the company well.

You can accomplish your goals without violating common morality guidelines and a sense of respect along the way.

That is the real world.. with ethics and rules governing how you practice your business and maintaining a equal opportunity for all. Operated in that sector since for almost 2 decades now.. and I know I wouldn't have gotten such a question to slide without some ethics board breathing down my neck..

Worked in a union environment for a time.. want to talk about even less slack from a company standpoint.
dfosterf
14 years ago

...But his uneven individual workout March 30 in Lufkin, Texas, only exacerbated reservations about his work habits, ability to learn and level of maturity.

...This spring, 16 personnel men were asked by the Journal Sentinel what number pick, if any, they would be comfortable selecting Bryant.
Five said that their answer was none.

..."Even if he was the only receiver in the draft I would never bring him into the building," a personnel director for a playoff team said. "Our locker room is pretty good right now. He's going to be hard to sign and he's going to be hard to deal with when he gets there. He is what he is, a tremendous player, but I wouldnt have him on a bet."

..."The top receivers aren't inconsistent guys who do bonehead things," another personnel director said. "His play is like his personality - flashes of brilliance and flashes of awfulness. Bad routes, dropped passes, headache both on and off the field."

..."He's got a little bit of Randy Moss in him where if you don't hit him with the ball early he will get mouthy and maybe shut it down," one of them said. "Is he going to work hard? I doubt it. He's never had to, but neither has Randy Moss. I think he is a true No. 1 wide receiver in the NFL, and there's just a handful of those guys."

...Bryant's mother, Angela, reportedly was 15 when she gave birth and had three kids by 18. Bryant was raised off and on by Angela, a convicted drug dealer, and in other unstable environments that contributed to his frequent emotional outbursts.

From the link I provided.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

I'm proposing that Ireland purposefully asked questions that could be out of line to test Dez's reaction. I wouldn't consider that as 'fucking' up.

But, I still wouldn't have been offended about the question if it were me. I guess I'm not one to be easily wound up over something like that.

"pack93z" wrote:

I am in agreement that Ireland asked the question on purpose.. and knew it was out of line.

I agree that it had a purpose.. to see how he reacted to the question..

100% agreed.

Does the fact that Ireland knew what he was doing and why he was doing it make it somehow acceptable to ask.

If so.. it opens the door wide open on sexual harassment and other improper questions in employment type settings.. of course it doesn't validate it.

Does it lessen the unprofessional nature to it? Nope.

Does it lessen the possible violation of labor laws? Nope.

Hence why I think it was a bullshit line of questioning that had no business being asked in this situation.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

...But his uneven individual workout March 30 in Lufkin, Texas, only exacerbated reservations about his work habits, ability to learn and level of maturity.

...This spring, 16 personnel men were asked by the Journal Sentinel what number pick, if any, they would be comfortable selecting Bryant.
Five said that their answer was none.

..."Even if he was the only receiver in the draft I would never bring him into the building," a personnel director for a playoff team said. "Our locker room is pretty good right now. He's going to be hard to sign and he's going to be hard to deal with when he gets there. He is what he is, a tremendous player, but I wouldnt have him on a bet."

..."The top receivers aren't inconsistent guys who do bonehead things," another personnel director said. "His play is like his personality - flashes of brilliance and flashes of awfulness. Bad routes, dropped passes, headache both on and off the field."

..."He's got a little bit of Randy Moss in him where if you don't hit him with the ball early he will get mouthy and maybe shut it down," one of them said. "Is he going to work hard? I doubt it. He's never had to, but neither has Randy Moss. I think he is a true No. 1 wide receiver in the NFL, and there's just a handful of those guys."

...Bryant's mother, Angela, reportedly was 15 when she gave birth and had three kids by 18. Bryant was raised off and on by Angela, a convicted drug dealer, and in other unstable environments that contributed to his frequent emotional outbursts.

"dfosterf" wrote:

From the link I provided.

So your questions about his character opens up the ability to ask questions however you feel necessary?

No.. it doesn't... ask questions that would address your questions about him...

Want to know about the affects of his mothers lifestyle has effected him.. ask him in a manner that isn't derogatory in nature.

Example.. Public record shows your mother was arrested for selling illegal drugs.. what impact did that have on you and your development as a young man.

And yes that more than likely ties into his posse...

The questions I would have for him along those lines would stem from a child that grew up without the proper amount of attention from his parents.. causing him to latch onto relationships because of his talent of people that enable him to take less responsibility and may lead to poor choices that would affect his employment standing with my team.

Ask the questions that would resolve those concerns and how he as a maturing adult might lessen them for me.. the prospective employer.

One can accomplish that without being a insensitive prick.. it can be done.. it is done every single day.