uffda udfa
8 years ago

Holy shit, I cannot believe I have to read that.

A) Why should the Packers have drafted Dez Bryant with an amazing group of WRs already on the roster and desparate needs on other positions? I know BPA is always a good thing, but not at that time.
B) What did we do with Dez Bryant without a Franchise RT in Bulaga and Aaron Rodgers getting hurt because he's not protected?
C) What does it help to have an elite WR and a few good ones if all the other positions suck?

and finally

D) Is Dez Bryant really that elite? He was the guy that sucked to catch that important ball and the Packers went to the NFC CCG. Remember?

Please stop trolling, it's getting really annoying.

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

Again, you miss the forest for the trees. Sometimes I just have to throw my hands up and surrender.

Here is the snippet from the article:

The Packers' team-building approach at the position stands in particular contrast to the franchise they defeated that cold day in January. The Packers have drafted nine receivers since Rodgers' ascension to starter in 2008, the seventh-highest total in the NFL, but never have they sought a dominant No. 1 receiver such as Dez Bryant. Instead, they have collected upper-end volume -- Nelson, Cobb and Adams were all second-round picks -- to build their scheme and financial structure around the idea that a high-level whole will prove better than any one part.

It is NOT about Dez freaking Bryant, specifically. This article is celebrating the idea that we have never SOUGHT A PLAYER OF HIS TALENTS IN THE DRAFT. We have gone for lesser talents than Dez. It doesn't mean we should've drafted Dez that year. The piece is celebrating NEVER doing it in the draft as if that's a "distinct and winning formula". It's utter BS that is beyond stupid.

What team doesn't want to draft a Dez Bryant type talent at WR? List for me all the teams in the NFL that wish they didn't have a Dez type talent. I can name only one...the Green Bay Packers. It is so much better NOT having a superstar talent at WR. It'd be downright dumb to ever try drafting an elite of elites game changing WR. It worked out so poorly at QB why try it at WR? The Packers are surely smart for not doing so and definitely better off????????????

The lack of comprehension is in Zoolander territory.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

GermanGilbert
8 years ago

What team doesn't want to draft a Dez Bryant type talent at WR? List for me all the teams in the NFL that wish they didn't have a Dez type talent. I can name only one...the Green Bay Packers.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

As Dez Bryant went #24 ovr I can name 23 teams that didn't. Don't know how many teams just didn't want to uptrade.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

As Dez Bryant went 24 I can name 23 teams that didn't. Don't know how many teams just didn't want to uptrade.

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert 

That's your answer? 24 teams don't want a Dez Bryant type talent? We're NOT talking about HIM specifically. The article is bragging about how smart we are not drafting an elite talent like him. That's foolishness.

The answer is simple but you don't want to deal with the crux of the matter. Why say I'm right? No reason. Just keep toting the media/Packer company line that is wrong and dumb.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
8 years ago
2 easy questions.

1 - when/who was the last team to win the Super Bowl with an "elite" wr?

2 - given their draft position, what makes you think the Packers are trying to draft the best players they can?
uffda udfa
8 years ago

2 easy questions.

1 - when/who was the last team to win the Super Bowl with an "elite" wr?

2 - given their draft position, what makes you think the Packers are trying to draft the best players they can?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

You mean aren't in question 2 ? The article made it quite clear that it is NOT trying to draft an elite WR. That is what I'm going cuckoo crazy over.

Question 1 is irrelevant. That's like saying the Patriots wouldn't want a Dez type talent. They have one at TE.

Would the Giants not want Aaron Rodgers who is clearly better than Eli because they won more SB's without him?

What teams in the NFL don't want a Dez type talent at WR? Just the Green Bay Packers and their fans are darn proud of that fact. 😕

UserPostedImage

musccy
8 years ago
The Packers are 6 months removed from 2 wr in the pro bowl with 90+ catch and 1200 + yard seasons and we're having a debate about the Packers not having enough "elite" wide receivers. Let me repeat that TWO receivers, on the SAME TEAM, in the SAME YEAR did that.

😕 [whead] [whead] [whead]
GermanGilbert
8 years ago

That's your answer? 24 teams don't want a Dez Bryant type talent? We're NOT talking about HIM specifically. The article is bragging about how smart we are not drafting an elite talent like him. That's foolishness.

The answer is simple but you don't want to deal with the crux of the matter. Why say I'm right? No reason. Just keep toting the media/Packer company line that is wrong and dumb.

To be honest, I didn't even read the article. I just see that you think that a Dez Bryant kind of player would get the Packers to another 4 or 5 rings. And there I disagree heavily. The Packers have a top 5 WR group in this league, so it makes no sense to add another elite player. Get the elite players to groups without very good talent, all good. But don't strengthen your best position just to keep your weaknesses a desaster.

blank
musccy
8 years ago

You mean aren't in question 2 ? The article made it quite clear that it is NOT trying to draft an elite WR. That is what I'm going cuckoo crazy over.

Question 1 is irrelevant. That's like saying the Patriots wouldn't want a Dez type talent. They have one at TE.

Would the Giants not want Aaron Rodgers who is clearly better than Eli because they won more SB's without him?

What teams in the NFL don't want a Dez type talent at WR? Just the Green Bay Packers and their fans are darn proud of that fact. 😕

Why is question 1 irrelevant? Because it invalidates your points? Having a stud at WR is great, do you need it to win a SB...history doesn't say it's needed. Your Eli comment shows you believe what I've probably already said 12 times in this thread. It's more important to excel at QB than WR.

Anyway, all of that aside, let me reiterate the Packers have two PBers from 2014, each with over 90 catches and 1,200 yards. Are they "elite" That's a subjective definition, but either way the Packers have two damn good WRs, in addition to your personal favorite Janis, and you're still on here bitching. It's mind numbing. 2 pro bowlers at one position STILL isn't good enough for you. Amazing.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
This is a fair discussion, and the guy taking the pro-elite receiver position shouldn't be labeled a troll. It would be really interesting to see how wild Aaron Rodgers could go with a true superstar receiver - as opposed to Good receivers made Great by Rodgers.

I will throw out two items - one in favor of the one position, the other in favor of the other position:

It's highly likely that some troublemaker super receiver - Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Dez Bryant, etc. would keep their nose clean and be good citizens if they came to the Green Bay Packers ........ and

There's a good reason why it is so rare to find elite WRs on Super Bowl teams. The best teams tend to be smart enough to know not to draft top flight WRs in the first round because 1 perceived talent before the draft often doesn't correlate to NFL stardom and 2 the difference made by the best WRs compared to merely "good" WRs ain't that much.

I come out on the side of NOT drafting or going after in free agency superstar WRs, but it ain't as clear and obvious as some would make it sound.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Why is question 1 irrelevant? Because it invalidates your points? Having a stud at WR is great, do you need it to win a SB...history doesn't say it's needed. Your Eli comment shows you believe what I've probably already said 12 times in this thread. It's more important to excel at QB than WR.

Anyway, all of that aside, let me reiterate the Packers have two PBers from 2014, each with over 90 catches and 1,200 yards. Are they "elite" That's a subjective definition, but either way the Packers have two damn good WRs, in addition to your personal favorite Janis, and you're still on here bitching. It's mind numbing. 2 pro bowlers at one position STILL isn't good enough for you. Amazing.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Question 1 is irrelevant because it's answer has nothing to do with my question. How many teams would want a talent like Dez at WR? ALL 32...wait...31...I forgot about the genius Packers who don't want a star talent like that in their WR corps.

I'm not complaining at all about our WR corps...I'm ripping that article to shreds for how stupid it's premise and conclusion is.

You forget...I love RC18...Jeff Janis and think Jordy is a fine player. Davante does nothing for me. I would LOVE to see Rodgers get to throw to a WR as elite as he is as a QB. Did you all not want Randy Moss to be a Packer? Think back...You did. Now, however, now that the mind control org has it's media pumping out lies in full force you now are celebrating not having a talent like Moss and the next thing you'll type is...how many SB's did Randy Moss win?

Brett Favre, himself, lusted to play with Randy. The day we didn't get him just seemed to coincide with something that he would do that would change the course of our org forever. Brett surely is dumber about WR's than you. You guys and Rob Demovsky know that getting Randy would've just been stupid. We went to zero SB's without him in New England. Brett got to watch Brady and Moss light it up like no other. Could've been him but thankfully we had Taco Wallace who costed much less.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.