dyeah_gb
6 years ago
Capers may not be that bad of a coach. As a fan, I just feel the Packers D is just no fun to watch. The last few games shows that the D can be decent. When it matters though they completely are unable to get it done. It is not just "the other team is just better," it is more of a "wow! the Packers D completely shit itself, is totally lost, look totally incompetent,...".

Let Capers and his staff move on. Even if the D is not improved next year, at least the team won't look totally insane expecting a different outcome after 5 years of failing over and over again. Failures so bad that they allow the other team offense to set NFL records more often than not.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
rabidgopher04
6 years ago
Here's an article about the difference coaching can make, even when working with the same set of players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/26/chiefs-offense-has-improved-since-andy-reid-handed-off-to-matt-nagy/ 

Our personnel may not be all that bad actually, and Ted may not be as bad drafting for defense as we think, but perhaps it's the coaching. It's hard to say without some variable changing (i.e. Dom Capers or Ted Thompson getting fired).
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I wonder if a contributing factor is a lack of defensive leaders that lead by example. Back when our D was one of the leagues best we had Woody, Nick Collins and Clay all making big plays at big moments. Now nothing. I would probably say Daniels is our Defensive leader, but does he provide key plays at key times? Hardly. Clay is not the same player as 2010 and staying healthy is real problem for this team.
beast
6 years ago

Here's an article about the difference coaching can make, even when working with the same set of players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/26/chiefs-offense-has-improved-since-andy-reid-handed-off-to-matt-nagy/ 

Our personnel may not be all that bad actually, and Ted may not be as bad drafting for defense as we think, but perhaps it's the coaching. It's hard to say without some variable changing (i.e. Dom Capers or Ted Thompson getting fired).

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Actually that's more about play calling than coaching, as the coaches are the same. But sometimes as a playcaller, you get too much into a pattern or just get in a funk or other things can happen. I believe most Packers fans have talked about MM's play calling with a tight lead, just tries to run even if we can't run it... which leads to short drives and more punting.

As for a Capers... he clearly got that way before the Lions previous game. Their offense literally seemed to know what was going before the snap, every single freaking play. So they seem to know Capers' pattern and after the game Randall said their defense was too predictable. But on the same point, the lack of talent somewhat had Capers hands tied of what is smart to do... but sometimes you got to do something stupid just surprise someone, throw them off... if it works, then you're a hero, if it fails then everyone is blaming you.

No, Thompson has struggled drafting on defense front players... as players haven't had success with the Packers nor else where. Of course, injuries haven't helped... with a number of career ending or NFL career defining injuries to talented players on defense.

As for some of the CBs... they have seemed like zone coverage players when the team was decided to running man coverage. They were good players, just a different system... and by the time the Packers wanted to switch it up (once they lost Shields), it was kinda too late to keep them.

I wonder if a contributing factor is a lack of defensive leaders that lead by example. Back when our D was one of the leagues best we had Woody, Nick Collins and Clay all making big plays at big moments. Now nothing. I would probably say Daniels is our Defensive leader, but does he provide key plays at key times? Hardly. Clay is not the same player as 2010 and staying healthy is real problem for this team.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I've actually said something slightly different even going back to DE Kampman and so probably before Capers was around.... Thompson has seemed to done a good job drafting men (leaders) that lead by example... but really we seem to have almost no, leaders of men (alpha leaders if you will) ...

From what I've heard... Matthews has attempted this... but for some reason, he rubbed some of the others the wrong way and it failed... and sounded as if Shields once scoffed at Matthews being the leader. I think Daniels has tried to lead in certain ways too, but I don't know if he's ever tried to lead the whole defense or just the defensive front... but Daniels reportedly upsets a number of people after losses (especially tough losses).

The best success the Packers have had at this has seemed to be from veteran outsiders. Namely Woodson, Peppers... and to a lesser degree Pickett, might be like Daniels is today.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I think I've fallen into this category of wanting change for the sake of change at the Defensive Coordinator position. It just feels every year we have communication issues and problems getting the right number of guys on the field. That's not even mentioning the middle of the field being open so much and playing "man" coverage with a 7 yard cushion.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago

I think I've fallen into this category of wanting change for the sake of change at the Defensive Coordinator position. It just feels every year we have communication issues and problems getting the right number of guys on the field. That's not even mentioning the middle of the field being open so much and playing "man" coverage with a 7 yard cushion.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Every time we call a zone coverage 2 or 3 guys are still playing man and leaving 10-15 yard holes all over the field. It's not something that has ever improved throughout the season or from 1 season to the next. Or before the snap they are making so many adjustments we've got guys sprinting 40 yards to the other side to arrive just as the ball is snapped. It's the most ridiculous pre snap defense I've ever seen
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I liked (as did many I think) that Bouye guy, but we all knew his price was not going to be cheap. Capers would have ruined him anyway.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
Hi how do we steal the jags coordinator? Seems like the right plan.
beast
6 years ago

Hi how do we steal the jags coordinator? Seems like the right plan.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Is it the Jags coordinator, or the Jags defensive talent, which they spent a TON of FA money and a few top 5 overall draft picks to get, among some other high draft picks.

If you refuse to spend money for a decade then you'll have a lot of money to spend if your owner finally lets you use it.

I liked (as did many I think) that Bouye guy, but we all knew his price was not going to be cheap. Capers would have ruined him anyway.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Interesting because Capers play calling did lead to 40% of that positive graphic you're showing.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

Dare I mention 3rd and long? Might as well be 1st and 10 because the next play will be anyway.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Yup. I always pray for 3rd and 5-6, we seem to do pretty good with those. 3rd and short, maybe 20% chance of stopping it. 3rd and 7+... Well, might as well move the chains.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (1h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (5h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.