dyeah_gb
6 years ago
Capers may not be that bad of a coach. As a fan, I just feel the Packers D is just no fun to watch. The last few games shows that the D can be decent. When it matters though they completely are unable to get it done. It is not just "the other team is just better," it is more of a "wow! the Packers D completely shit itself, is totally lost, look totally incompetent,...".

Let Capers and his staff move on. Even if the D is not improved next year, at least the team won't look totally insane expecting a different outcome after 5 years of failing over and over again. Failures so bad that they allow the other team offense to set NFL records more often than not.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
rabidgopher04
6 years ago
Here's an article about the difference coaching can make, even when working with the same set of players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/26/chiefs-offense-has-improved-since-andy-reid-handed-off-to-matt-nagy/ 

Our personnel may not be all that bad actually, and Ted may not be as bad drafting for defense as we think, but perhaps it's the coaching. It's hard to say without some variable changing (i.e. Dom Capers or Ted Thompson getting fired).
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
I wonder if a contributing factor is a lack of defensive leaders that lead by example. Back when our D was one of the leagues best we had Woody, Nick Collins and Clay all making big plays at big moments. Now nothing. I would probably say Daniels is our Defensive leader, but does he provide key plays at key times? Hardly. Clay is not the same player as 2010 and staying healthy is real problem for this team.
beast
6 years ago

Here's an article about the difference coaching can make, even when working with the same set of players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/26/chiefs-offense-has-improved-since-andy-reid-handed-off-to-matt-nagy/ 

Our personnel may not be all that bad actually, and Ted may not be as bad drafting for defense as we think, but perhaps it's the coaching. It's hard to say without some variable changing (i.e. Dom Capers or Ted Thompson getting fired).

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

Actually that's more about play calling than coaching, as the coaches are the same. But sometimes as a playcaller, you get too much into a pattern or just get in a funk or other things can happen. I believe most Packers fans have talked about MM's play calling with a tight lead, just tries to run even if we can't run it... which leads to short drives and more punting.

As for a Capers... he clearly got that way before the Lions previous game. Their offense literally seemed to know what was going before the snap, every single freaking play. So they seem to know Capers' pattern and after the game Randall said their defense was too predictable. But on the same point, the lack of talent somewhat had Capers hands tied of what is smart to do... but sometimes you got to do something stupid just surprise someone, throw them off... if it works, then you're a hero, if it fails then everyone is blaming you.

No, Thompson has struggled drafting on defense front players... as players haven't had success with the Packers nor else where. Of course, injuries haven't helped... with a number of career ending or NFL career defining injuries to talented players on defense.

As for some of the CBs... they have seemed like zone coverage players when the team was decided to running man coverage. They were good players, just a different system... and by the time the Packers wanted to switch it up (once they lost Shields), it was kinda too late to keep them.

I wonder if a contributing factor is a lack of defensive leaders that lead by example. Back when our D was one of the leagues best we had Woody, Nick Collins and Clay all making big plays at big moments. Now nothing. I would probably say Daniels is our Defensive leader, but does he provide key plays at key times? Hardly. Clay is not the same player as 2010 and staying healthy is real problem for this team.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I've actually said something slightly different even going back to DE Kampman and so probably before Capers was around.... Thompson has seemed to done a good job drafting men (leaders) that lead by example... but really we seem to have almost no, leaders of men (alpha leaders if you will) ...

From what I've heard... Matthews has attempted this... but for some reason, he rubbed some of the others the wrong way and it failed... and sounded as if Shields once scoffed at Matthews being the leader. I think Daniels has tried to lead in certain ways too, but I don't know if he's ever tried to lead the whole defense or just the defensive front... but Daniels reportedly upsets a number of people after losses (especially tough losses).

The best success the Packers have had at this has seemed to be from veteran outsiders. Namely Woodson, Peppers... and to a lesser degree Pickett, might be like Daniels is today.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I think I've fallen into this category of wanting change for the sake of change at the Defensive Coordinator position. It just feels every year we have communication issues and problems getting the right number of guys on the field. That's not even mentioning the middle of the field being open so much and playing "man" coverage with a 7 yard cushion.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago

I think I've fallen into this category of wanting change for the sake of change at the Defensive Coordinator position. It just feels every year we have communication issues and problems getting the right number of guys on the field. That's not even mentioning the middle of the field being open so much and playing "man" coverage with a 7 yard cushion.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Every time we call a zone coverage 2 or 3 guys are still playing man and leaving 10-15 yard holes all over the field. It's not something that has ever improved throughout the season or from 1 season to the next. Or before the snap they are making so many adjustments we've got guys sprinting 40 yards to the other side to arrive just as the ball is snapped. It's the most ridiculous pre snap defense I've ever seen
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
I liked (as did many I think) that Bouye guy, but we all knew his price was not going to be cheap. Capers would have ruined him anyway.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
Hi how do we steal the jags coordinator? Seems like the right plan.
beast
6 years ago

Hi how do we steal the jags coordinator? Seems like the right plan.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Is it the Jags coordinator, or the Jags defensive talent, which they spent a TON of FA money and a few top 5 overall draft picks to get, among some other high draft picks.

If you refuse to spend money for a decade then you'll have a lot of money to spend if your owner finally lets you use it.

I liked (as did many I think) that Bouye guy, but we all knew his price was not going to be cheap. Capers would have ruined him anyway.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Interesting because Capers play calling did lead to 40% of that positive graphic you're showing.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
6 years ago

Dare I mention 3rd and long? Might as well be 1st and 10 because the next play will be anyway.

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Yup. I always pray for 3rd and 5-6, we seem to do pretty good with those. 3rd and short, maybe 20% chance of stopping it. 3rd and 7+... Well, might as well move the chains.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (42m) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (2h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (2h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (4h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (5h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (5h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (5h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (6h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (16h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (18h) : damn those vikings
beast (18h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (18h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (18h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (18h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (18h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

57m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.