dhpackr
13 years ago

It's easy to spot those who think the government owes them a living instead of balancing the budget and taking the load off of taxpayers.

"vegOmatic" wrote:

yeah, like the ones who donate $100,000 to Walker's campaign then Walker returns the favor by giving the donors drunken, uneducated, inexperienced 27 year old son a job making $80,000 a year!

and lets not forget, UNION MEMBERS PAY TAXES!!!
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
vegOmatic
13 years ago

[quote="vegOmatic"]and lets not forget, UNION MEMBERS PAY TAXES!!!

"dhpackr" wrote:

With MY money. And you can't fire the bad ones so I'm not getting what I pay for.

Teachers get to retire with full benefits 10-15 years before the rest of us and they still complain and want more.

We needed Walker 20 years ago.
blank
vikesrule
13 years ago

....We needed Walker 20 years ago.

"vegOmatic" wrote:

I'm guessing that you only fly on airplanes with two right wings, huh veg ?

Walker is a twit...a corporate controlled yes man.

But dang, good old Dennis Kucinich has Scott Walker pegged.

[youtube]xqhtUTyqVOY[/youtube]
DakotaT
13 years ago

"vikesrule" wrote:

But dang, good old Dennis Kucinich has Scott Walker pegged.

[youtube]xqhtUTyqVOY[/youtube]

"vegOmatic" wrote:

Damn VR, Walker looked like a bitch slapped Viking fan.

And poor Veg., you overtaxed bastard. Some of your tax dollars are being spent by state employees for union dues, get over it.

You know what chaps my ass: I've spent an awful lot of time in hospitals over the last year and there is a common theme in every one of them - beautiful flooring and cabinets and wallcoverings. These hospitals all operate as non-profit organizations so they are taking health care costs sky high and not improving health care, but greasing the local contractors. Republicans call this kind of thing economic development - I call it corruption. I don't give a flying fuck if I'm wheeling my sick kid over freshly laid ceramic tile on the way to the doctor, or the old tile that use to be there. But at the end of the visit, I sure would like my bill to be less.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
Gov. Scott Walker Reportedly Planning Financial Martial Law In Wisconsin 

eports are surfacing that Scott Walker is now preparing his next assault on the democratic political process in the State of Wisconsin.

Following the lead of Michigan GOP Governor Rick Snyder, Walker is said to be preparing a plan that would allow him to force local governments to submit to a financial stress test with an eye towards permitting the governor to take over municipalities that fail to meet with Walkers approval.

And the scary part:

Gov. Snyders extraordinary law became all too real this week when Emergency Financial Manager, Joseph Harris, appointed by the Governor to take charge of Benton Harbor, Michigan, issued an order which took away all powers of the citys elected officials.

Yes, this has really happened right here in the United States of America.

It's ridiculous that such legislation can be passed.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Surely such a law, which flagrantly violates the federal, republican form of government mandated by the Article 4, Section 4, Clause 1 of the Constitution of the United States, would not survive constitutional muster.

Would it?
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

Surely such a law, which flagrantly violates the federal, republican form of government mandated by the Article 4, Section 4, Clause 1 of the Constitution of the United States, would not survive constitutional muster.

Would it?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Oh it happened just this last week:

As you probably know, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder recently signed legislation passed by the Republican-dominated House and Senate that gives State-appointed Emergency Financial Managers (EFMs) historically broad and sweeping powers. These new powers allow the EFM to cancel or modify contracts (including with unions) and even to fire the municipality's government.

Today, for the first time, an EFM did just that. According to a press release from the Michigan AFL-CIO, Joseph L. Harris, EFM for Benton Harbor, Michigan issued "an order prohibiting all action by all city boards, commissions, authorities and other entities, except as authorized by the emergency manager."

Here is the press release in total:

Benton Harbor Emergency Manager Takes First Step to Strip Away Rights
Joseph L. Harris issues an order prohibiting all action by all city boards, commissions, authorities and other entities, except as authorized by the emergency manager

In the wake of a bill that was signed into law with high objection from the people, as it was a bill that threatened local communities, schools, townships, and municipalities, the first order has been officially issued in Benton Harbor. Joseph L. Harris has used his emergency manager powers to exercise any power or authority of any office, employee, department, board, commission, or similar entity of the City, whether elected or appointed. In addition, the Emergency Manager has the power to supersede any officer or entity and the power to act on behalf of the city.

This is sad news for democracy in Michigan. It comes after the announcement of Robert Bobb in Detroit ordering layoff of every single public school teacher in the Detroit Public School system, says Mark Gaffney, President of Michigan AFL-CIO. With the stripping of all power of duly elected officials in Benton harbor and the attack on Detroit school teachers, we can now see the true nature of the Emergency Manager system.

This is a real life instance of taking away our fundamental rights. In fact, the only thing City Boards, Commissions, Authorities or other entities may do without the approval of an Emergency Manager is to:

1) Call a meeting to order
2) Approve of meeting minutes
3) Adjourn a meeting

Everything else is under the Emergency Managers control. These new powers are taking away the will and voice of the people by stripping away the rights of public officials elected by Michiganders. By exploiting the current crisis situation, these emergency managers are able to ascertain unreasonable rules to completely control a city. This is a true case of political over-reach, and will simply add to the hardships of an already suffering populace in Michigan.

Source 

So when a city goes broke an "emergency manager" can take control of the entire city's government by himself. The only thing he can't do is prevent people from having meetings. So what's next? Are they going to start selling parts of the government to companies to try and help financial problem? Like the rumor about Scott Walker selling off Wisconsin power plants to the Koch brothers?

All I can think about now is the future when corporations will own our rights. I mean, that certainly seems like the way we're headed LOL.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I understand that it happened. My point was that I don't see how such an action could withstand a constitutional challenge in the courts.

But who knows. Maybe our constitution really is that meaningless nowadays. If the municipalities really are that broke, it is doubtful they have the money to mount a legal challenge to the law.
UserPostedImage
vegOmatic
13 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

"vikesrule" wrote:

You're really out of the loop. Do you even know how/why Walker became County Executive of Milwaukee County?

The public employee unions stacked the government with bought-and-paid for goons and voted themselves outrageous benefits. The voters recalled close to half the board and the executive at the time was just about run out of town.

It's the same story at the state level. And it's high time we got the union out of the government.

You know what chaps my ass: I've spent an awful lot of time in hospitals over the last year and there is a common theme in every one of them - beautiful flooring and cabinets and wallcoverings. These hospitals all operate as non-profit organizations so they are taking health care costs sky high and not improving health care, but greasing the local contractors. Republicans call this kind of thing economic development - I call it corruption. I don't give a flying fuck if I'm wheeling my sick kid over freshly laid ceramic tile on the way to the doctor, or the old tile that use to be there. But at the end of the visit, I sure would like my bill to be less.

"vegOmatic" wrote:

LOL. I work in health care. I work at a company that manages claims for Badgercare. If you don't know what Badgercare is, it's socialized medicine for Wisconsin. Talk about wasted money and a joke on those weho think the government can make health care cheaper! This is all set up by the Democrats and it's your money being sucked away. Where do you think the hospitals are getting their money? I'd get a real job but I can't do much when the government is forcing the economy in this direction.

The worst of it all is many of the profits go to fat old white men out of state, the profits don't even stay here. So rant wall you want about evil corporations, taxpayers would be better off withoiut union goons controlling the government and the government in general running business.
blank
musccy
13 years ago

Gov. Scott Walker Reportedly Planning Financial Martial Law In Wisconsin 

eports are surfacing that Scott Walker is now preparing his next assault on the democratic political process in the State of Wisconsin.

Following the lead of Michigan GOP Governor Rick Snyder, Walker is said to be preparing a plan that would allow him to force local governments to submit to a financial stress test with an eye towards permitting the governor to take over municipalities that fail to meet with Walkers approval.

"djcubez" wrote:

And the scary part:

Gov. Snyders extraordinary law became all too real this week when Emergency Financial Manager, Joseph Harris, appointed by the Governor to take charge of Benton Harbor, Michigan, issued an order which took away all powers of the citys elected officials.

Yes, this has really happened right here in the United States of America.

It's ridiculous that such legislation can be passed.

So I guess this is what they mean by "smaller government," eh?