Cheesey
11 years ago
Maybe so! LOL!
Fact is, the money is being wasted, so if that's what you are going to do anyways, why not "waste" it where it can actually do some of our own people some good?
You have those screaming to "tax the hell out of the rich!" when all we would REALLY have to do is quit pissing ga-zillions of dollars away on frivilous (sp?) bullsh*t. Then we could help people, have health care for ALL, without raising taxes for anyone.
Just stop the waste, and we would ALL be much better off.
Again, it comes down to no one in government having to show EXACTLY where these tax dollars are going. "Tax and spend" like drunken sailors.
As long as it's like that, there will never be any real "change". And "yes we can" will be "I don't think so".
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
11 years ago
Cheesey, you're starting to come around. Although, I'd like to try an elitist wine enema one day - but if I die without that experience, so be it.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
I need to get my shrink to change my meds. I've been having all these weird dreams.

Last night, for example, I had a dream that DakotaT posted an extended epiphany that he finally understood what I've been talking about and agreed with me completely.

[grin1]
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
11 years ago

I need to get my shrink to change my meds. I've been having all these weird dreams.

Last night, for example, I had a dream that DakotaT posted an extended epiphany that he finally understood what I've been talking about and agreed with me completely.

[grin1]

Originally Posted by: wade 

You're having dreams about me Wade? Thanks, I guess. I thought just 4Packgirl fantasized about me that way.

Is a required epiphany one of those long essays that you ocassionally make us read? Yeah, that probably isn't going to happen. I graduated Cum Laude by using the bold face method of study.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

You're having dreams about me Wade? Thanks, I guess. I thought just 4Packgirl fantasized about me that way.

Is a required epiphany one of those long essays that you ocassionally make us read? Yeah, that probably isn't going to happen. I graduated Cum Laude by using the bold face method of study.

Originally Posted by: Dakotat 

Hey, I used to write book reports using the Classic Comic Book version of a book.[grin1]

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

And we wonder WHY this country is so screwed up.
ALL that money for uniforms that will be worn for ONE event, then put away in a closet forever.
What a waste of money. For that matter, so are the Olympics. Millions of dollars spent for what? A CHANCE that a few of our people might bring home a medal. And who pays for all this? Tax payers.
I'd rather my tax money go to help those in need. People can't buy food or the medicines they need, but we can blow millions on a sporting event.
It's different with pro sports, as we have a choice of whether or not we want to dish out the money to go to a game. With taxes, we have NO say in any of it.
I just heard on the radio that Wisconsin lost over 11 thousand jobs last month. People with REAL needs, and we make a big deal that one of our people can swim faster or jump higher then someone from some other country.
JMO of course.
Priorities. That's what's missing.

Originally Posted by: cheesey 

Sorry Cheesey you are wrong.

1. The U.S. is one of just three countries which do not provide government funding for their Olympic program. Instead, the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) relies on corporate and individual contributions, as well as the sale of broadcast rights in order to train and underwrite the full expense of the U.S. team in the Olympics, Paralympics, Pan American and Parapan American Games.

more info 

which raises the question: how do Olympians earn money to pay for coaches, housing, food, and other living expenses?
Sponsorship

Sponsorship is a form of survival for most athletes, especially those who compete in non-paying events such as the Olympic Games. Sponsorship can cover the cost of living and training for amateur athletes in several different forms including private, corporate, and team ownership.
Amateurism in the modern Olympic Games

Until the 1970s, Olympic athletes could not accept endorsements or prizes, and professionals were not allowed to compete in the Games. Athletes who practiced professionally were considered to have an unfair advantage over those who played sports as a hobby. Amateur athletes relied on private sponsorship, such as family members and wealthy fans, to fund their training and pay living expenses.
Professionals in the Games

The International Olympic Committee eliminated the necessity of amateurism in 1971, allowing athletes to receive compensation for time away from work during training and competition. In addition, athletes were permitted to receive sponsorship from national organizations, sports organizations, and private businesses for the first time. In 1986, professional athletes were given permission by the International Federation to compete in each sport of the Olympic Games. For instance, in the 1992 Olympic Games, the United States was allowed to field a basketball team comprised of well-paid NBA stars, called "The Dream Team."
Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act

Although the IOC allowed for athlete compensation in 1971, all U.S. athletes still had to be of amateur status to compete on the United States Olympic team until 1978. Athletes from the United States found it difficult to compete at the Olympic Games against athletes from eastern nations who were sponsored by their governments and able to train full-time. In 1978, the United States adopted the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, allowing athletes on the U.S. Olympic team to receive financial awards, sponsorship, and payments for the first time. A revision of the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act in 1998 expanded athletic eligibility and representation further to include the Paralympics Games and increased athlete representation.
Corporate Sponsors

Since the elimination of amateurism in the Olympic Games, athletes are often funded to train through corporate sponsors and endorsement deals. With both types of sponsorship, athletes receive money, and in return the company receives publicity. Tiger Woods has become the face of Nike, Titleist, and Gatorade, among many others. It is considered more prestigious for an athlete to receive an endorsement deal than a sponsor since a company may sponsor many athletes, but will only choose one or two to represent their company.

A corporation sometimes spends millions of dollars a year to sponsor a team. This is probably the most expensive type of sponsorship. For instance, companies will often sponsor an entire cycling team instead of an individual cyclist. Teams compete wearing the company logo in exchange for money, closely resembling an employer-employee relationship.

link 

Voice of America article for 2008 

The United States is one of only three countries where Olympic athletes receive no government funding. Instead the U.S. Olympic Committee relies exclusively on income from the sale of television broadcast rights and from corporate sponsors. Steve Roush, chief of sports performance with the U.S. Olympic Committee, says while the system is not political, the U.S. Olympic program must compete for sponsors with professional teams.

Is 3 links enough or should I get more? Taxes are not used per se. Certainly corporations receive tax breaks for their donations. But they would donate most of that money somewhere any way.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
The principle I'm referring to with outsourcing being a problem is the same principle that the illusion of safety brings people and the consequences.

Outsourcing - businesses make products cheaper via China labor thinking more people can an will buy it. Which is true, for a limited amount of time. It's cheaper because China has less labor laws and can pay employees less. Do you see the connection yet? Probably not. Okay, we are so worried about safety and what is "fair" that we make these avenues fiscally 'wise' to pursue.

Actually, I give up. If you can't figure this out, there's no way in any amount of words can I get it through your head. Long story short, American's are fucking American's over, not the Government. The Government is just the tool being used by the American's. If people didn't whine about their wage, their safety in cars, their safety here and there and whatever the hell else ... the Government wouldn't have cause to jump in (to get votes) and "save" the day.

The more 'safe' we make this country, the more people do ballsier shit (Google Aurora, CO) to attain a sense of risk. We all need risk to some degree and the more we SUE people, the more we WHINE about shit, the more the Government feels it has a place to do something. Which in turn has grave consequences.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago
Well then....i'm glad our taxes don't pay for that.
Now if we can get all the other wasted things that ARE payed by our taxes stopped, maybe this country could turn itself around.
I know it will never happen, but it's nice to dream about.

Communism didn't die in the Soviet Union. It's alive and well. They just don't have to use force anymore.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago

Is a required epiphany one of those long essays that you ocassionally make us read? Yeah, that probably isn't going to happen. I graduated "Cum Laude"

Originally Posted by: Dakotat 

Is THAT why she dreams about you???[grin1]
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
11 years ago

IMO, we'd have more (and better) jobs if we celebrated every case of outsourcing rather than decried them. And "Buy American" is, IMO, anti-American.

An outsourcing deal is a voluntary trade between two parties, one of them American. And a voluntary trade doesn't occur unless both parties believe they are benefiting therefrom more than they would from an alternative.

And traders don't just take the results of the trade and put them away and look at them. They buy something else with them. A something else that wouldn't get bought had the outsourcing trade not occurred. Every company that "outsources", every exec of that company that gets a higher salary from outsourcing, and every shareholder in the company that gets a bigger dividend, spends the proceeds somewhere else.

And 90 percent of what they spend? They spend it right here, because even now, even in this hyper-globalized world, ninety percent of all our trade as Americans is with ourselves.

Foreign trade is good.

Bah.

Originally Posted by: wade 

Wow. An economic issue we differ 100% on.

Let's take software for instance. They started outsourcing software jobs heavily in 2000. Industry completely crashed in 2002. Didn't recover until 2009 when Americans realized that hey, American software people are actually smarter than anyone else in the world for software and started hiring Americans again. Now once again, it's a good industry to be in because outsourcing isn't as prevalent.

I'm not anti-outsourcing per se. In small amounts, outsourcing actually is a good thing because it creates foreign markets. But the tricky part is you cannot outsource more jobs than you create. When that happens, you get a crash.

Now back to the uniforms - the Olympics are a joke. If we wanted to be realistic, they'd all play nekkid. (History folks will get this; everyone else, it will go over your head).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷