Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

I have a bottom-of-the-line Rolex. It's worth more than I paid for it in 1974. (thousand bucks?) The watch loses time. Fools. I wear a Wenger. It is worth nothing, I reckon. It keeps perfect time, year-in, year out.

Weber grills are close to making "my list" of good shit.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Any watch is on the hate list.

Agree on Weber grills:

Cuervo Gold tequila, Jack Daniels, Old Raj, Plymouth, and Gilbey's gins, Templeton Rye, British real ales, Lays potato chips, movie theater popcorn, the Gadsden flag -- these are on the good list, too.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dfosterf
11 years ago

Any watch is on the hate list.

Agree on Weber grills:

Cuervo Gold tequila, Jack Daniels, Old Raj, Plymouth, and Gilbey's gins, Templeton Rye, British real ales, Lays potato chips, movie theater popcorn, the Gadsden flag -- these are on the good list, too.

Originally Posted by: wade 

Your list does not suck with the exception of your ridiculous choice of gin. I'm no 19th century sailor stuck in the middle of the Atlantic, so I refuse to drink that rot-gut Gilbey's you are pushin', lol

Tangueray and tonic is absolutely God's choice- I avoid it when I can only because I'd be consumed in the depth of it.

Your list is too long. Mine is (Seriously) "mine". (The "hate" list- there are too many things to hate, this MUST be done with precision)
😍
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Your list does not suck with the exception of your ridiculous choice of gin. I'm no 19th century sailor stuck in the middle of the Atlantic, so I refuse to drink that rot-gut Gilbey's you are pushin', lol

Tangueray and tonic is absolutely God's choice- I avoid it when I can only because I'd be consumed in the depth of it.

Your list is too long. Mine is (Seriously) "mine".
😍

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Tanqueray is overrated. If you want to go midrange gin, either Bombay Sapphire or Plymouth are better. Gilbey's to my mind is for someone who doesn't want to pay the next level. If Tanqueray is a 2, Sapphire and Plymouth 3-3.5, and Old Raj a 5+, with your typical well-rotgut a 0.5, Gilbey's is a 1.5.

But I've never had better than the 110 proof version of Old Raj.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
dfosterf
11 years ago

Tanqueray is overrated. If you want to go midrange gin, either Bombay Sapphire or Plymouth are better. Gilbey's to my mind is for someone who doesn't want to pay the next level. If Tanqueray is a 2, Sapphire and Plymouth 3-3.5, and Old Raj a 5+, with your typical well-rotgut a 0.5, Gilbey's is a 1.5.

But I've never had better than the 110 proof version of Old Raj.

Originally Posted by: wade 

Truth is, you either like that crap you like, or you like my quality gin. There is no middle ground, as we are comparing my apples to your oranges. I just don't want you influencing the snot-nosed-psuedo-sophisticates into swilling that rot-gut. If anyone handed me a G&T with that crap in it-- I'd drink it, but I'd fix it with the bartender instantly. 😍 Why pick a brand? If it isn't Tangueray, it might as well be the shit they are trying to make out back, or whatever the house brand is. It is really the only distinctive one I can think of. Overrated? I think a T&T is awesome. I think a G&T that is not Tangueray tastes like shit, and if you thought you could sneak your crap booze past me as a host-- That would equate to trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Other than that, I have no opinion on the matter. I am most definitely a dick about that. If it isn't Tangueray, I really don't want it & say so. It's a matter of taste, ultimately, I reckon. It's the only thing I can think of that I'm hard-headed about at a party.

Two dozen jumbo blue-crabs, melted butter, a pile of Old Bay on the side, and a bucket of Corona on ice. (with limes) If God had made it any better, he'd have kept it for himself (herself-whatever)
[boxing] I should add Corona to my list. All those Mexican beers were developed by the Germans. Corona is the number one export beer to this country (interesting tidbit) and is exported to 170 countries, world-wide. I have never heard anyone say that Corona sucks, so I almost have to add that to my list.

btw pay not much attention to me, just havin ' fun in life, lol
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

The last time I thought Tanqueray was the epitome of good gin, I *was* a snot-nosed pseudo-sophisticate. I.e., I was 25 and still in law school.

Walk down to your liquor store and pick up a bottle of Cadenhead's Old Raj -- get the 110 proof stuff, its actually got a yellow color. Or, if you can't get that, find the high proof Plymouth Gin, the one that Travis McGee novels made famous.

And try them without the tonic, just chilled. (The real test of gin is the martini, not the G&T, though I admit to liking both a great deal.) It will change your definition of the greatness of gin.

There's supposed to be a blue gin called The London No. 1 that is even better, but I've never been able to find it.

Tanqueray's better than Gordon's -- yes, though we disagree about how much. But the best gin? Not a chance.

Tanqueray is for yuppies and other philistines.

Bah.[ass] 😝

dfosterf
11 years ago

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

The last time I thought Tanqueray was the epitome of good gin, I *was* a snot-nosed pseudo-sophisticate. I.e., I was 25 and still in law school.

Walk down to your liquor store and pick up a bottle of Cadenhead's Old Raj -- get the 110 proof stuff, its actually got a yellow color. Or, if you can't get that, find the high proof Plymouth Gin, the one that Travis McGee novels made famous.

And try them without the tonic, just chilled. (The real test of gin is the martini, not the G&T, though I admit to liking both a great deal.) It will change your definition of the greatness of gin.

There's supposed to be a blue gin called The London No. 1 that is even better, but I've never been able to find it.

Tanqueray's better than Gordon's -- yes, though we disagree about how much. But the best gin? Not a chance.

Tanqueray is for yuppies and other philistines.

Bah.[ass] 😝

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Gin is a simple-man's drink. I truly believe my cut-off at Tanqueray is the correct one. Why go looking for trouble to your wallet? I'm sure what you say is true regarding those high-end gins, but I will never try 'em, for the same reason I've never done drugs... I might like the gins and the drugs and I got enough vices, thank-you-very-much. [palm] Fucking foodies interloping on sailor-swill, gimme a break (and a simple T&T, lol) example- I always liked Glen Campbell(sp) too- didn't much give a rat's ass if he isn't the epitome of singer/songwriters, according to all others. I like what I like.

I wish I could share my listening experience to all the old songs I'm listening to as we converse here. Without getting into the technical shit, the wife pumped 10k into this room for audio. Friggin awesome. I'm on Barry White right now, lol
Pack93z
11 years ago
I wish Foster wasn't so reserved with his thoughts.. [aiee]

I have basic two categories of purchases, things I am going to keep/use for a while and those that have a short shelf life.

Short = year to two.

The short crap.. screw it, whatever is cheapest... regardless of where it is made and by whom.

The things I plan on keeping.. those are researched and carefully planned.. their cost of ownership isn't the chief concern.. quality is.

Example is tools.. I barely look at the price tags and compare.. I know what I what from it, and what I expect.

As far as American vs Imported.. would I rather buy locally or from my fellow citizens, you bet, but often the products have been shortcut to try and keep cost down which then affect the quality.

Look no further than our growing debt personally and as a country.. out habits of spending more than we have.. thus needing to draw more of a wage. Combine in health care costs that are chewing away at the pocket books of all Americans... setting it squarely up for the requirement to discount shop and give little care about the disposable nature of all products.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
vikesrule
11 years ago
The only people that drink Tanqueray and/or Corona are women and guys that squat to pee.

Corona is one of the worst beers ever made with one of the best marketing departments.
Much akin to Australia's Fosters Lager.

Australian' s don't drink that crap, they just export it to wannabes.
No self respecting Australian would touch the stuff. And actually, Fosters is really Aussie speak for piss.

Coincidence that it is named Fosters......think about it.

dfosterf
11 years ago

The only people that drink Tanqueray and/or Corona are women and guys that squat to pee.

Corona is one of the worst beers ever made with one of the best marketing departments.

No self respecting Australian would touch the stuff. And actually, Fosters is really Aussie speak for piss.

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Gay pride day has gone and went. Shut the fuck up until next year, and get your dates right so you can have a possible audience.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

I've seen the Corona commercials and can assure you that any guy drinking Corona is more likely than not a pussy. They're made for women and for guys who hate being guys. They're all about male bashing.

Corona's not a beer. It's flavored water. Like Coors Lite. Real men don't drink Coors Lite either.

As for Tanqueray, wouldn't know. I'll take your word for it.

America makes some pretty good beers. The Mrs and I like to drink from small breweries and are often satisfied with the results. Of the larger ones, Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada are both pretty good breweries. Funny thing, I really liked both breweries for a long time and when Consumer Reports did their beer reports, they listed those 2 as the best American breweries. No, I don't work for Consumer Reports. 'Twas coincidence, but I guess great minds...

And I think it's too funny you worked in that slam on Foster. Poor guy.

Back to the outsourcing, Wade, you explained yourself a lot better. OK, we're in partial agreement then.

As for buying things made in America, if I'm given an option, I'll buy made in America. If no option is given, I'll avoid buying a Chinese made product, even if it means going without.

Americans still make the best products. I'll put up a Gibson guitar up against any other guitar. Although, the Japanese are neck and neck with guitars. Their high end models = our high end models.

Cars - Saturn was the best car ever made. 12k got you a car that had high safety ratings, good gas mileage, a good stereo, and it worked. But then again, that's why it went out of business. They didn't charge enough.

As for Olympic uniforms, they should be made in America. It's the Olympics - make the fucking uniforms in America.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷